Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1881 and 1900


Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 4 Arkaba Road, , Aldgate South Australia, 5154

The Foundation stone of the church was laid on October 22 1892. The Church is a simple stone and brick building 20 feet x 30 feet. An extension of just over 3 meters was made at the eastern end, and a porch and vestry were added in 1961. The Architect for this was Dean W. Berry and the builder was H.J. Were.

Read More

Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Allora, QLD - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: New England Highway, , Allora Queensland, 4362

St. David's Church, Allora is a timber, Gothic Revival style church prominently located at the end of the main thoroughfare of the town, was constructed in 1887-88 to the design of leading Queensland colonial architect F.D.G Stanley. This building is the second church to be built on the site, which also contains a rectory designed by…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Annandale, NSW - Hunter Baillie Memorial Presbyterian

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Johnson & Collins Streets, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

Built between 1886 and 1889 and opened in February 1889 the church was a gift by Mrs Helen Hunter Baillie as a memorial to her husband John Baillie who died in 1854. He was a sub-editor of the Colonial Observer and later the Secretary and Inspector of the Bank of New South Wales. The Architect's were Cyril Arthur Blackett son of the…

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Adan's Anglican

Annandale, NSW - St Adan's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 120 Johnston Street, , Annandale Victoria, 2038

The names St Aidan's appears to have been first suggested for the church in Annandale by the Reverend Thomas Holme of Leichhardt. The Architect was Mr J.S.E. Ellis of Pitt Street Sydney. Initially the Foundation stone was to be laid 18 June 1892 but was delayed due to building but was postponed until 23 July the same year.The stone was…

Read More

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Year Built: 1892

Address: 1404 Lower Marshes Road, , Apsley Tasmania, 7030

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1898

Address: 88 Kooyong Road, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Foundation stone was laid on 20 July 1898 by Mrs Westmore G. Stephens. The Architect was Sydney Smith and Ogg and the builder was A Parker. It was designed in an advanced Romanesque style in red brick with stucco dressings, dark brick diapering, chequerboard gable treatment and fleche on the roof ridge. The building was later…

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Uniting

Armadale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Kooyong & Clarendon Streets, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

Read More

Arthur River, WA - St Paul's Anglican

Arthur River, WA - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 16882 Albany Highway, , Arthur River Western Australia, 6315

The Taylor family donated the land for the church and £50 towards its construction. Construction commenced in 1882 and was completed n 1884. Construction was by FE Smith and AG Horley. Made of stone with wooden floorboards and a shingle roof. The floorboards came from the sawpits near Dardaline.

Read More

Ashbourne, SA - Uniting

Ashbourne, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1891

Address: Main Road, , Ashbourne South Australia, 5157

The Church was formerly a Wesleyan Methodist church. It was built in 1891.

Read More

Avenel, VIC - Uniting

Avenel, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1886

Address: Queen Street, , Avenel Victoria, 3664

Originally a Wesleyan Methodist church built in 1886. A meeting of the building commit was held in Mr Vearings Saw Mill on 6 March 1886. It was decided to accept the tender of Mr Shatlock. By May 1886 the rear windows were being installed and anew font door had been order. In the same year Mr Graham bought the old church for £11. Dr…

Read More

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Ballarat East, VIC - St Alipius Catholic

Year Built: 1884

Address: Victoria Street, , Ballarat East Victoria, 3350

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid December 11 1883 by the Honourable James Campbell M.L.C.

Read More

Ballarat North, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

Ballarat North, VIC - Scots Presbyterian

Year Built: 1890

Address: 415 Lydiard Street, Ballarat, Ballarat North Victoria, 3350

Built in 1890 to a Gothic-inspired design by local architects Figgis & Molloy. The foundation stone of Scots Church was laid on 5 July 1890 by Sir James MacBain, Scottish-born businessman and president of the Victorian Legislative Council. The church is on a rectangular plan without transepts. The nave is of six bays, buttressed…

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Year Built: 1898

Address: James Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 24 September 1898 by the Bishop of the Diocese.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1897

Address: 35 - 41 Forest Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

St. John's Presbyterian Church was opened in 1874 and located in Forest Street near the Barnard Street. By 1885 the Church was destroyed by fire. A new Church building was opened in 1897 on the same site. A Foundation stone was laid in November 1858 by Rev L.D. Bevan. In 1949 plans were preparred for the demolition of the church and…

Read More

Bethanga, VIC - St Francis Catholic

Bethanga, VIC - St Francis Catholic

Year Built: 1886

Address: Bridge Street, , Bethanga Victoria, 3691

Read More

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Bethany, SA - Bethany Lutheran

Year Built: 1883

Address: Bethany Road, , Bethany South Australia, 5352

The Church was built in 1883. The design is of simple rectangular plan with gable roof, smaller gabled annex to rear, square tower at front with tall pointed spire, rendered features on facades create a strong outline for the building. Construction - coursed rubble walls, rendered corner strips and windows indicate a reasonably…

Read More

Bexley, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Bexley, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1887

Address: 269 Forest Road, , Bexley New South Wales, 2207

The land on which this Church is built was first granted to James Chandler on the 19th October 1831 by Governor Brisbane (1300 acres). The Foundation stone was laid on 24 May 1887 by the ten Minster for Education the Hon James Inglis. The Church was opened for worship by Rev Robert Steel in October 1887. For over 50 years it was known…

Read More

Binalong, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Binalong, NSW - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Stephens Street, , Binalong New South Wales, 2584

One of the earliest references to the Binalong District as part of the parish of Yass is in the report of the Yass Auxiliary of the Church Society for 1869 when Archdeacon Lillingston is reported to have said, that Yass people were too apt to consider that the world lay between Bowning and the Gap. In the 1871 census Binalong is shown as…

Read More

Bower, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Bower, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1890

Address: 8461 Thiele Highway, , Bower South Australia, 5374

The land on which the church is located was once owned by Mr F. W. Kaeding. The Foundation stone was laid on 14 September 1890 by Pastor J. Hansen and it was finished by 1899 when a dedication service was held on 24 September. The Sunday School was opened in 1919. The church is 45 feet x 25 feet and cost approximately 120.

Read More

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1896

Address: Corner North & New Streets, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone to the first church was laid on 29 October 1892 by the Brighton Mayor M.J.S. Carr Esq. John Knox church (built 1876) Original Architect - Charles Webb

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Brighton, VIC - St Cuthbert's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: 12 Wilson Street, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 October 1889 by the Honourable Sir James McBain MLC.

Read More

Brighton, VIC - St Leonard's Uniting

Brighton, VIC - St Leonard's Uniting

Year Built: 1892

Address: Corner New & Wolseley Streets, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone to the first church was laid on 29 October 1892 by the Brighton Mayor M.J.S. Carr Esq.

Read More

Bungaree, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Bungaree, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1890

Address: 184 Bungaree Wallace Road, , Bungaree Victoria, 3352

The Parish was established in 1890. A few years before in 1878 Dean Moore purchased a block of land for a church and school. This land now holds the Bungaree hall and some adjoining houses. The first recorded baptism in Bungaree was that of Ellena Rice performed by Fr J Cleary on 31 August 1890. When Fr Linane retired in 1965 Fr…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Burnie, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 52 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

The first moves for the provision of an Anglican church at Burnie began in the mid-1840s after the visits of the Rev. Grigg from Circular Head and the Rev. Waterfield from the settlement at the Forth River. The Launceston Advertiser of 9 November 1844 under the heading Churches of the Interior reported: At the new but populous settlement…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - Star of the Sea Catholic

Burnie, TAS - Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1891

Address: 96 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

There are several foundation / plaques on the church building. The church foundation stone reads, " St Mary's Star of the Sea blessed and opened by the Most Rev Daniel Murphy D.D. Archbishop of Hobart 1st January 1891, T Kenner builder, Matthew O'Callahan Parish Priest". Another reads, " Erected to the memory of the very Revd,…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Year Built: 1885

Address: 581 Riversdale Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The first Presbyterian service in Camberwell was held in the old Shire Hall on 6 September 1885. The site on which the present Church stands was purchased for 375, and almost immediately the first building was erected, at a cost of 566. It was a very plain, weatherboard structure, and seated about 200 persons. This first church was…

Read More

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: Lee Street, Campania, Tasmania, 7026

The church was consecrated in 1894. It was built and furnished at a cost of 450. Mr and Mrs H.J. Brock donated 300 towards the completion of the church.

Read More

Charlton, VIC - Uniting

Charlton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: 6 Halliday Street, , Charlton Victoria, 3525

Two Foundation stones read, 1. "Wesley Chapel Built in 1876 and later used as a Sunday School. The present church was built for the Methodist Community in 1885. This project was funded by Centenary of Federation Victoria through the Victorian Government's Community Support Fund." 2. Charlton Methodist Sunday School Hall built to the…

Read More

Clifton, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Clifton, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: Gammie Street, , Clifton Queensland, 4361

The first church was erected in 1890. The second was built in 1909. The successful contractor was Mr. Stay of Allora. The floor has a vestry 'raised to 6 feet. A noticeable feature of the building is its great height compared to its size. This ensures breathing space and ventilation. The church proper, which seats 300, was built on 4 feet…

Read More

Coogee, NSW - St Nicholas Anglican

Coogee, NSW - St Nicholas Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: 123 Brook Street, , Coogee New South Wales, 2034

The Foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Sydney Bishop Alfred Barry D.D. on 18 December 1886. The following year St. Nicolas Anglican was consecrated. In 1905 the church building was almost completed destroyed by fire. The Church was reopened in 1906. Between 1917 and 1944, St. Nicolas Coogee was instrumental in establishing…

Read More

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: Kendal Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The town allotments were surveyed in 1854 and the first land sales were held later in that year. Property for churches was reserved - the site for the Wesleyan Church was on the south east corner of Kendal and Darling Streets, and the site for the Minister's Residence on the corner of Darling Street and Bartlett Lane. It was not until…

Read More

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Cowra, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: Grenfell Road, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

Formerly a Methodist church it was erected at Brundah Creek in 1887 and moved to its current site in 1916. Closed for regular services in 1969 it now forms part of the Uniting Church.

Read More

Crows Nest, QLD - St Matthew's Catholic

Crows Nest, QLD - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1900

Address: Esk Street, , Crows Nest Queensland, 4355

The church was built, and opened in 1900, and named St Matthew's in honour of the donor of the land. The Sisters of St. Joseph to the Parish, and the building of the Convent school was opened on 15 July, 1917. As of 2007 the church did not have a resident Priest.

Read More

Deloraine, TAS - Holy Redeemer Catholic

Deloraine, TAS - Holy Redeemer Catholic

Year Built: 1889

Address: 20 W Goderich Street, , Deloraine Tasmania, 7304

A stone above a doorway to the Church reads, " Pray for the soul of Rev Edward Francis Walsh 22 years Pastor of this Church who fortified with all the rites of Holy Church died December 4th 1902 in the 39th year of his Priesthood aged 64 years R.I.P.". A Foundation stone reads, " Church of the Holy Redeemer blessed and dedicated by Most…

Read More

Deloraine, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Deloraine, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1883

Address: 32 W Goderich Street, , Deloraine Tasmania, 7304

The Church was closed in 1983 and is now a private residence.

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Year Built: 1892

Address: 51 Victoria Street, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The first church was built in 1858. The new church was built in 1892. The Architect was J.A. Koch. Built of red brick the building has rendered dressings and mouldings with a slate roof. The church has belfry made of timber with scale slates on the lower section and a cast iron wall vents at mid-wall.

Read More

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: Corner Point Nepean & Odonohue Roads, , Dromana Victoria, 3936

Construction of St Mark's of Dromana was commenced in 1892. Prior to this, regular services had been held in private homes. Between 1885 and 1892, the Union church on the corner of Heales Street and Point Nepean Road was used by the Anglican congregation. In August 1892 George Morce won the tender for the building of the new church to the…

Read More

Drysdale, VIC - Uniting

Drysdale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: High Street, , Drysdale Victoria, 3222

The Foundation stone was laid on 24 May 1887 by Rev J.D. Dodgson Ex President of the Conference. This was the fourth site of the Wesleyan and Methodist church and was opened in 1888.

Read More

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Herbert & Seaview Streets, , Dulwich Hill New South Wales, 2203

A timber hall on the site of the present church where services where held (this hall was then divided up, part of which is now the Jennifer Russell Hall standing behind the Holy Trinity, 1886 church building. The first Holy Trinity Anglican Church was on the opposite side of the present day church and was dedicated by Bishop Barry on…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 5 Finch Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

Founded as a mission to Caulfield Racecourse in 1883 the original church was built in 1889. The current church was built between 1920 and 1922. The Architect was Purchase and Teague. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 December 1920 by the Venerable Archdeacon Hindley B.D. Administrator of the Diocese. An example of the English…

Read More