Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1881 and 1900


Deloraine, TAS - Holy Redeemer Catholic

Deloraine, TAS - Holy Redeemer Catholic

Year Built: 1889

Address: 20 W Goderich Street, , Deloraine Tasmania, 7304

A stone above a doorway to the Church reads, " Pray for the soul of Rev Edward Francis Walsh 22 years Pastor of this Church who fortified with all the rites of Holy Church died December 4th 1902 in the 39th year of his Priesthood aged 64 years R.I.P.". A Foundation stone reads, " Church of the Holy Redeemer blessed and dedicated by Most…

Read More

Deloraine, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Deloraine, TAS - St Andrew's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1883

Address: 32 W Goderich Street, , Deloraine Tasmania, 7304

The Church was closed in 1983 and is now a private residence.

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Year Built: 1892

Address: 51 Victoria Street, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The first church was built in 1858. The new church was built in 1892. The Architect was J.A. Koch. Built of red brick the building has rendered dressings and mouldings with a slate roof. The church has belfry made of timber with scale slates on the lower section and a cast iron wall vents at mid-wall.

Read More

Dover, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Dover, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 6963 Huon Highway, , Dover Tasmania, 7117

The church was consecrated in May 1892. The church bell is a relic of the Hopetoun mill. The building was restored both outside and inside in 1974. This church was built on the land purchased in 1884 from the Stubbs Family. The Reverend Edward Thompson was the Incumbent of the Huon Parish, who with the three Church Wardens (W.P. Clennett,…

Read More

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: Corner Point Nepean & Odonohue Roads, , Dromana Victoria, 3936

Construction of St Mark's of Dromana was commenced in 1892. Prior to this, regular services had been held in private homes. Between 1885 and 1892, the Union church on the corner of Heales Street and Point Nepean Road was used by the Anglican congregation. In August 1892 George Morce won the tender for the building of the new church to the…

Read More

Drysdale, VIC - Uniting

Drysdale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: High Street, , Drysdale Victoria, 3222

The Foundation stone was laid on 24 May 1887 by Rev J.D. Dodgson Ex President of the Conference. This was the fourth site of the Wesleyan and Methodist church and was opened in 1888.

Read More

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Herbert & Seaview Streets, , Dulwich Hill New South Wales, 2203

A timber hall on the site of the present church where services where held (this hall was then divided up, part of which is now the Jennifer Russell Hall standing behind the Holy Trinity, 1886 church building. The first Holy Trinity Anglican Church was on the opposite side of the present day church and was dedicated by Bishop Barry on…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 5 Finch Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

Founded as a mission to Caulfield Racecourse in 1883 the original church was built in 1889. The current church was built between 1920 and 1922. The Architect was Purchase and Teague. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 December 1920 by the Venerable Archdeacon Hindley B.D. Administrator of the Diocese. An example of the English…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Presbyterian former

East Melbourne, VIC - Presbyterian former

Year Built: 1883

Address: Corner Powlett & Hotham Streets, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

An article in the Melbourne Argus newspaper of 10 October 1881 reads, "A section of the congregation of Chalmera' Church having been granted permission by the Presbetry of Melbourne to form themselves into a separate congregation, they met for the first time yesterday morning, at the Orderly room, corner of Powlett-street and…

Read More

Elmore, VIC - Uniting

Elmore, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1899

Address: Corner of Harvey & Clarke Streets, , Elmore Victoria, 3558

Originally called St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church which opened on June 18 1899.

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Elsternwick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1897

Address: 71 Orrong Road, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3185

The Foundation stone was laid on 21 November 1897 by his Grace the Most Reverend T.J. Carr D.D.

Read More

Enmore, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Enmore, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 11 Stanmore Road, , Enmore New South Wales, 2042

In 1882 the land for the present site on Enmore Road was purchased. The Foundation Stone was laid on 4 March 1882. It took less than three months to complete the church building which was opened in 18 June 1882. The total cost was over £3,200. As with most churched, renovations were carried out over the years however exact dates are…

Read More

Eudunda, SA - Church of St Hilda Anglican

Eudunda, SA - Church of St Hilda Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Ward Street, , Eudunda South Australia, 5374

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1883 and the church is the oldest stand church in Eudunda. The church was dedicated as St Trinitatis Lutheran Church in 1884. It was sold to the Church of England in 1888 and dedicated in 1889. The Vestry dates fr0m 1885.

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Euroa, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: Kirkland Street West, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. In 1865 the first Presbyterian church services were held in the old Euroa school house and later incorporated in the Church of England rectory. The first church was erected in 1881 in Foy Street. The current church was built in 1889 by Gordon and Duncan and cost £600 while the Sunday School hall was…

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St John's Catholic

Euroa, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner Brock & Kirkland Avenue West, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

Bishop Gould recorded in his diary that he blessed and opened on 8 May 1866 a small church in Euroa named in honour of St Michael the Archangel. This was the first church building in Euroa. On 6 March 1887 the new church was blessed and opened by Bishop Reville Coadjutor. In 1915 the interior of St Johns Church was completely…

Read More

Euroa, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Euroa, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: Clifton Street, , Euroa Victoria, 3666

The first Church of England service in Euroa was held in early 1854 by Reverend William Singleton who was currently stationed at Kilmore. By 1857 services were held in the Church of England school room which today is the Rectory kitchen. Built by the Brewer Brother's it was completed in 1884 at a cost of 800 and this part of the church…

Read More

Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Fenton's Creek, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Wedderburn- Logan Road, , Fenton's Creek Victoria, 3518

A local saw miller Mr John Brown obtianed the timber form a location called the rocky water hole. Mr George Catto a local carpenter erected the building. The church was offically opened on March 18 1887 by the Bishop of Ballarat. The second church was opened on March 20 1965.

Read More

Fern Tree, TAS - St Raphael's Anglican

Fern Tree, TAS - St Raphael's Anglican

Year Built: 1893

Address: 725 Huon Road, , Fern Tree Tasmania, 7054

In 1890 services at Fern Tree were being held in private homes and in the Inn. But in 1892 the foundation stone was laid and this Gothic style wooden church. The architect was Alan Walker and the cost was £447. It was consecrated in February 1893 and although surrounded by trees and bushes this church has survived two major bush fires.…

Read More

Forbes, NSW - Salvation Army

Forbes, NSW - Salvation Army

Year Built: 1890

Address: 128 Rankin Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

A foundation stone attached to the church was laid on 3 July 1890 by Commissioner Coombs.

Read More

Frankston, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Frankston, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner Bay & High Streets, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

The site was the location of the first church in Frankston in 1854. The foundation stone for a Church building was laid on 2nd February 1875 by Miss A.M. Baxter but the Church was not completed until 5th February 1887.

Read More

Freestone, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Freestone, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Upper Freestone Road, , Freestone Queensland, 4370

On June 5th 1883, the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge based in London, made a grant of £20 towards the cost of constructing a wooden Church at Freestone Creek, the total cost of this Church was £175. The land was donated by the Palmer family. Services prior to the building of St Lukes were held at the home of Mr Shelley. The…

Read More

Gardenvale, VIC - St James Catholic

Gardenvale, VIC - St James Catholic

Year Built: 1891

Address: 73 North Road, , Gardenvale Victoria, 3185

The first Church was a wooden building constructed by the Very Reverend M Carey on the site facing North Road in 1882. It was a temporary building, used as a Church on Sundays and a schoolhouse on weekdays. Extensions were made in 1889. It was blessed by Dr Reville, the Co-adjutor Bishop of Sandhurst, in 1892. Construction of the…

Read More

Glengarry, TAS - St Canice's Catholic

Glengarry, TAS - St Canice's Catholic

Year Built: 1894

Address: 33 Glengarry Road, , Glengarry Tasmania, 7275

The Church was built by pioneer Catholics in the district in 1894, and was served from Westbury until 1986. Daniel Burke who helped the Irish exiles at Westbury and became warden of the municipality, presented and address to the Archbishop at the opening of the church in 1894. The Church is a weatherboard building capable of seating…

Read More

Goombungee, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Goombungee, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Year Built: 1900

Address: Albert Street, , Goombungee Queensland, 4354

Read More

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Year Built: 1885

Address: 200 Military Road, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The original foundation stone was laid by the Bishop on August 1 1885. The Jubilee Foundation stone was laid by the Very Reverend Dean Young on 15 September 1936.

Read More

Grange, SA - Uniting

Grange, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1881

Address: Beach Street, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The Foundation stone was laid on 9 November 1880 by Mrs C Fowler.

Read More

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1897

Address: Frederick Street, , Greenock South Australia, 5360

The first meeting was held on 31 March 1897 to consider forming a congregation. The first services were held in the Daveyston School from 1897 to 1898 and then in the Wesleyan Church on a monthly basis. By 1899 land was purchased and tenders were called to build a church. The tender of Mr E Graetz of Keyneton was accepted. The cost of the…

Read More

Gunbar, NSW - Uniting

Gunbar, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Formerly a Presbyterian church, the first church was located just north of its current location however due to swampy water it was later relocated. It was built in 1884. Though nominally Presbyterian, services by Anglican and Methodist ministers were occasionally also held at the church. By 1933 it was decided to build a new church of…

Read More

Gundagai, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Gundagai, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: 121 Sheridan Street, Gundagai, New South Wales, 2722

The original church was built in 1885. Opened in 1885, the church is of neo-gothic style. The architect EC Manfred studied under Edmund Blackett who also designed the Church of England in Tumut, and the St Andrew’s Cathedral, George Street Sydney.

Read More

Gundaroo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Gundaroo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Harp & Morning Street, , Gundaroo New South Wales, 2620

Established in 1881.

Read More

Hawthorn, SA - St Columbus Anglican

Hawthorn, SA - St Columbus Anglican

Year Built: 1898

Address: 101 Cross Road, , Hawthorn South Australia, 5062

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 May 1898.

Read More

Healesville, VIC - St Bridget's Catholic

Healesville, VIC - St Bridget's Catholic

Year Built: 1899

Address: Corner High & Ryrie Streets, , Healesville Victoria, 3777

November 1899 saw the first new parish mission established in Healesville by Reverend Patrick Gleeson who had arrived in Melbourne from Ireland on September 9. He had already served at West Melbourne, Mansfield, Castlemaine and St Kilda East before arriving in Healesville. At the turn of the 20th century St Bridget's Hall on the corner…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - Baptist

Hobart, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1889

Address: 284 Elizabeth Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The original Tabernacle on this site was constructed in 1883 and took just six days. It was cobbled together from packing cases, old timber and tin with salvaged iron beams as supports. In 1884 the foundation stone was laid for a new building to be used as a church. Later it became tine Sunday School when the larger Tabernacle was…

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St David's Mission Anglican

Hobart, TAS - St David's Mission Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 7 Campbell Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

The foundation stone of St. David’s Mission chapel was laid on the 24th of November 1884 by the Bishop of Tasmania, Rev. Dr. Daniel Fox Sandford. The design of the church was entrusted to Mr H Hunter, architect of Macquarie Street who prepared plans for a building to cost £1,500. In basic Gothic style and built of brick with stone…

Read More

Hobart, TAS St Mary's Catholic Cathedral

Hobart, TAS St Mary's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1898

Address: 180 Harrington Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

St Mary’s Cathedral was the vision of the first Bishop of Hobart Town, Robert William Willson. Bishop Willson chose the design and spent years raising the funds. Designed by William Wardell, one of Australia’s greatest nineteenth-century architects, it was completed except for its steeple between 1876 and 1898 to a modified design by…

Read More

Holbrook, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Holbrook, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Young Street, , Holbrook New South Wales, 2644

Original built in 1887 the church was opened in 1887. A Sanctuary was added in 1967. Other alterations took place in 1958 and 1964. The Rev. Julius Scott took charge early in 1884, and appears to have been the first occupant of the Parsonage. He must have been a capable man and of strong personality, for it was he who had largely…

Read More

Horsham, VIC - Church of Christ

Horsham, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner Urquhart & Baillie Streets, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

The first service was held on 30 January 1887 by Mr D. W. Little in the Horsham Temperance Hall. Only 6 locals attended however by the evening service more than a dozen showed up. During the first three months thirteen baptisms had been carried out. Until 1915 only local men including Mr Butler, Spicer and Millar, carried out conducing…

Read More

Hurstville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Hurstville, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: Croydon Road, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220

On 18 December, 1850, Michael Gannon purchased 1905 acres from the estate of Captain John Townson whose grant of crown land took in the whole of the present suburbs of Hurstville and Carlton reaching almost to Kogarah Bay. Michael Gannon then transferred ownership of two acres to the Most Reverend John Bede Polding on 24 November, 1855…

Read More

Jericho, TAS - St James Anglican

Jericho, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1888

The first services were held in a house. Church News of June 1883 states that St. James' was erected in 1826 or 27 but Church News of January 1947 says that building commenced in 1829. The church which was designed by John Lee Archer, was consecrated on the 10th of May, 1838. A plaque on the church reads, "The original church on this…

Read More

Jerilderie, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Jerilderie, NSW - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: West Street, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716

The Church was formerly a Presbyterian church. The first Minister catering to the pastoral needs of the Protestant faith in this district was a Presbyterian Minister from Deniliquin, the Reverend Peter Mercer, from 2 December, 1863, to 10 August, 1869, under commission from the Castlemaine Presbytery in Victoria. Reverend Mercer's…

Read More