Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1881 and 1900


Jerilderie, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican

Jerilderie, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican

Year Built: 1897

Address: Corner Brown & Mahonga Streets, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716

The church was dedicated in August 1897 while the Foundation stone was laid by Ernest Augustus Anderson D.D. Bishop of Riverina on 20 December 1897.

Read More

Jugiong, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Jugiong, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1895

Address: Jugiong Road, Jugiong, New South Wales, 2726

In 1863 the first site selected for a church, school and Parsonage was section No 7 bounded by Larmar Renwick and Stapyton streets. This was dedicated on 16 July 1863 but was later revoked and rrserved for the preservation of graves. The Foundation stone was laid on 21 December 1872 by Mr H Howe Esq JP. A further Foundation stone was laid…

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Junee, NSW - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1889

Address: 26 Denison Street, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The Church was built of brick with a shingle roof in 1889 from designs by A Blackett son of E.T. Blackett. In 1911 the chancel and vestries were added and from time to time other improvements have been effected. The Church was licenced on 11/11/1889 by Bishop Thomas. It was consecrated on 29/11/1898 by Bishop Barlow. The east window is a…

Read More

Kalbar, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Kalbar, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1883

Address: 256 Teviotville Road, , Kalbar Queensland, 4309

Formerly Engelsburg in the Fassifern District. The German settlers who settled in and around Engelsburg at first attended services at Hoya but becuase of the distance and bad roads they organised themselves into a congregation.

Read More

Kaniva, VIC - St Augustine's Anglican

Kaniva, VIC - St Augustine's Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: Western Highway, , Kaniva Victoria, 3419

The first services were held on 28 June 1885 by H.F. Baker and in August by William Puttocks. By February 9 1889 the Nhill Advertiser newspaper carried an add calling for tenders for a stone and brick church.

Read More

Kanumbra, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Kanumbra, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1898

Address: Minterns Road, , Kanumbra Victoria, 3719

The Church was built in 1898 at the cost of £100. A Mr William McGuigan donated the land to the Methodists. He also donated a piece of land to the Church of England. The Minister of the day would travel from Alexandra. The final service was conducted in 1988.

Read More

Kew, VIC - Chinese Baptist

Kew, VIC - Chinese Baptist

Year Built: 1887

Address: 75a Cotham Road, , Kew Victoria, 3101

Originally a Presbyterian Church. Early in 1874 steps were taken by a number of the Presbyterian Church followers living in Kew to establish a charge, and services were commenced in the Town Hall in June, 1874. Among those who were leaders in the movement may be mentioned Hon. R. S. Anderson, Messrs. Thomas Austin, David Beath, W. H.…

Read More

Kew, VIC - Uniting

Kew, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1890

Address: 23 Highbury Grove, , Kew Victoria, 3101

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1889 by Reverend John Harcourt.

Read More

Kingston SE, SA - Uniting

Kingston SE, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1887

Address: Corner McFarlane & Holland Streets, , Kingston SE South Australia, 5275

The Church was opened in 1887.

Read More

Kingston, TAS - St Clements Anglican

Kingston, TAS - St Clements Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: Corner Channel Highway & Beach Street, , Kingston Tasmania, 7051

The first church was designed by James Blackburn and was dedicated in October 1852. It was consecrated in December 1856. It was repaired in S89,, but by 1892 it was falling down, so it was pulled down. A new church of wood, designed by George Fagg, was built and opened in 1894 and consecrated in February 1895. The choir and vestry were…

Read More

Koolunga, SA - St John's Anglican

Koolunga, SA - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Services were first held in the Schoolroom. The old Millhouse was aquired in 1879 and this was used as the Church from that year to 1894. The Church was dedicated 2nd September 1894. The Foundation stone of the Rectory was laid on 7 November 1882 by Miss Rose Maslin of Bundaleer.

Read More

Korumburra, VIC - Baptist

Korumburra, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1895

Address: 39 Milne Road, , Korumburra Victoria, 3950

The Church was designed by Jervis and Ormerod and constructed by Mr Faulkner in 1895. An example of Federation Carpenter Gothic style, which includes unusual detailing such as the treatment of the main front with its panelled projections. It is based on the simple 45 degree Gothic weatherboard nave with lancet windows decorated with…

Read More

Latrobe, TAS - Baptist

Latrobe, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1892

Address: 125 Gilbert Street, , Latrobe Tasmania, 7307

The work of the Baptist Union was commenced at Latrobe on December 19, 1886, when Pastor Wood of Longford introduced Mr. H. G. Blackie. Extract from first Minute book. On March 28, 1887, a meeting was held in the Oddfellow Hall when the Church of the baptised believers in Latrobe was formed by Launceston. There were 1 Rev A. Bird of…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Apostolic

Launceston, TAS - Apostolic

Year Built: 1898

Address: 80 Margaret Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

The church was built in 1898 for the Catholic Apostolic Church. In 1913, it was purchased by the Church of Christ, which had been active in the Launceston since 1884. A Foundation stone reads, "This stone to commemorate church extension laid by Mrs D Shields 1913". The building remains a church and now operates as the Bible Salvation…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Gateway Baptist

Launceston, TAS - Gateway Baptist

Year Built: 1885

Address: 22 Wellington Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

Work began on the Church building in 1883, it was to seat 1200 and was built under the guidance of Mr. F. Tyson (Architect) and J. T. Farmilo (Builder) at a cost of £17,500 . It was first called “The Temple” but its name was then changed to “The Memorial Church.” It was officially opened in July, 1885, when 1200 people are said to have…

Read More

Leichhardt, NSW - All Souls Anglican

Leichhardt, NSW - All Souls Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 126 Norton Street, , Leichhardt New South Wales, 3516

On January 7th, 1882 the original All Souls' church was opened for worship. The building and the land together cost 800. The church was designed by the architectural firm founded by Edmund T. Blacket, the great Anglican Church architect of the nineteenth century. Designed in the early English gothic style and built in brick masonry…

Read More

Leichhardt, NSW - Congregational

Leichhardt, NSW - Congregational

Year Built: 1891

Address: Corner Allen & Elswick Streets, , Leichhardt New South Wales, 3516

The Church was established between 1880 1881. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 March 1891 by Harry C Kent Esq M.A.

Read More

Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Light Pass, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1886

Address: Immanuel Way, , Light Pass South Australia, 5355

The first church was opened and dedicated on 29 November 1886. The tower was erected in 1930. The Church hall was opened in 1949.

Read More

Lilydale, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Lilydale, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Jones & Castella Streets, , Lilydale Victoria, 3140

Land for an Anglican church was purchased in February 1867 and construction commenced the following year. The first service in the completed building was held in October 1868. The memorial stone was laid by Baroness De Pury on 25 September 1886.

Read More

Lilydale, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Lilydale, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1890

Address: Corner Jones & Clarke Street, , Lilydale Victoria, 3140

The first services were held in the Commerford family home in Edwards Street and on occasions in the de Castella's home. In 1863 Dr Fitzpatrick applied for 2 acres at the corner of Jones and Clarke Streets. In May 1864 work commenced on a small wooden building which was completed in January 1865. In mid 1869 Father Finn was suggesting…

Read More

Lilydale, VIC - Uniting

Lilydale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1882

Address: Corner George & Anderson Streets, , Lilydale Victoria, 3140

Formerly a Presbyterian Church the Foundation stone was laid on 22 December 1882 by the Honarable J Balflour M.L.C.assisted by Rev, Peter Mercer Moderator of the General Assembly. The Church was opened and dedicated one year later on 9 December 1883.* Mr J.R. Crouch of Melbourne was the architect and Messrs Sebire and Morton of Lilydale…

Read More

Longford, TAS - Wesleyan Chapel

Longford, TAS - Wesleyan Chapel

Year Built: 1887

Address: 107 Wellington Street, , Longford Tasmania, 7301

Opened in 1887 the Longford Methodist Church, or, as it was then known, the Wesleyan Methodist Society, was founded in 1834. Now in private hands.

Read More

Lorne, VIC - St Cuthbert's Uniting

Lorne, VIC - St Cuthbert's Uniting

Year Built: 1892

Address: Mountjoy Street, , Lorne Victoria, 3232

Originally a Presbyterian Church. The original piece of land the church was built on was sold to the trustees on 31 January 1890 by the Hon. James Campbell of St Kilda. The sucessful tenderer (to build the new church) appears to be J.W. Dent of South Geelong. The church opened for its first service on 7 February 1892. Additions to…

Read More

Maldon, VIC - Baptist

Maldon, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1896

Address: 6 Templeton Street, , Maldon Victoria, 3463

The Foundation stone was laid by H.D. Embling MLC on 29 January 1896 assisted by Mr. Coy, Mrs. Phillips and others, in the presence of a large assemblage. The congregation united with Welsh Baptists in 1930 using this building as church and Welsh chapel as Sunday School.

Read More

Malvern, SA - Uniting

Malvern, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1891

Address: 44 Marlborough Street, , Malvern South Australia, 5061

The Wesleyan Methodist's of South Australia built a church in King William Road Unley in 1881. At the beginning of 1891, Malvern Church had been little more than a vision in the minds of a group of church leaders from Pine Street and Unley. The plans of F. W. Dancker gave some type of substance to their hopes, and the support they…

Read More

Marburg, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Marburg, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1891

Address: 111 Queen Street, , Marburg Queensland, 4346

The first church was built at the corner of Seminary Road and the Warrego Highway on land donated by Thomas Smith. The successful tender was submitted by Mr Luder. The dedication service took place on 5 July 1891 and was consecrated by the Bishop of Brisbane the Right Reverend William Weber. By 1948 discussions were held to move the…

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - Baptist

Marrickville, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1887

Address: 107 Silver Street, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

The Church was founded in 1887 as an offshoot of Petersham Baptist Church, being formed into a recognised Baptist Church in July of that year. Initially the church met at Winkies' Hall in Illawarra Road, which was near or next to the tram depot. In 1889, the church moved to the building on the current site. This site was purchased…

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - St Brigit's Catholic

Marrickville, NSW - St Brigit's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: 153 Livingstone Road, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

The Passionists came to Australia in 1887 at the invitation of Cardinal Moran, the Archbishop of Sydney. He separated the present parish of St. Brigid's from the parish of Newtown. They originally occupied a small house on the corner of Fletcher St and Petersham Rd. The foundation stone of the Church was laid in October 1887 in…

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - St Clements Anglican

Marrickville, NSW - St Clements Anglican

Year Built: 1888

Address: 90 Petersham Road, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

A large Gothic Revival Church built around 1888 and designed by architects Spain & Cosh. Styled in the early English style constructed of red brick with stone, brick and terracotta detailing. The tall corner spire has two tiers of windows and is clad in interlocking zinc sheets. The hall, a simple rectangular building, incorporates the…

Read More

Mentone, VIC - Davies Memorial Uniting

Mentone, VIC - Davies Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1889

Address: 74 Venice Street, , Mentone Victoria, 3194

The church is styled after the Gothic Revival approach by architect Charles Figgis, who also created the Mentone Hotel. Mentone was moved by news of the passing of Mrs Mary Davies in 1887. Mother to nine children, she had been a tireless worker for the community and devoted member of the Presbyterian church. In honour of her name,…

Read More

Mentone, VIC - St Augustines Anglican

Mentone, VIC - St Augustines Anglican

Year Built: 1888

Address: 90 Como Parade W, , Mentone Victoria, 3194

A Church window portrait of St Alban was unveiled during a service on Sunday 16 December 1917 with 61 names inscribed. The window now has 70 names, suggesting that a supplementary group was added after the cessation of hostilites. A Foundation stone reads, " This Memorial stone was laid by Mrs M.H. Davies November 26th 1888. N Billings…

Read More

Mernda, VIC - Uniting

Mernda, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1888

Address: Schotters Road, , Mernda Victoria, 3754

Formerly a Wesleyan Church built in 1888. In 1856 Mr King of "Fair View" gave an acre of land along West Bridge Inn Road and the first church was erected in timber and stood for 33 years.

Read More

Mile End, SA - St Jame's Anglican

Mile End, SA - St Jame's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 1B Falcon Avenue, , Mile End South Australia, 5031

The Church was opened by Bishop Kennion on 1 February 1884. Many years before Mr Justice Gwynne had given an acre of land in the village of Cowandilla for church purposes. This was sold for £150 and an allotment bought in a more central position in the Thebarton area. This is the present site of the church. Due to the energeic work of…

Read More

Minyip, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Minyip, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1889

Address: Corner Carroll & Church Street, , Minyip Victoria, 3392

The first church services were held in 1874 in Mr A. Prices home. A wooden church was erected the following year on land donated by Mr C Petering at Kirchham. The Church was originally located at Kirchheim and erected in 1889. In 1935 the church was moved to Minyip. Made of rectangular plan timber and weatherboard with pointed lancet…

Read More

Morgan, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Morgan, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: Fourth Street, , Morgan South Australia, 5320

The Church was founded in 1894 and was dedicated on June 15 of the same year.

Read More

Mount Beppo, QLD - Lutheran

Mount Beppo, QLD - Lutheran

Year Built: 1888

Address: Mount Beppo Road, , Mount Beppo Queensland, 4313

The Church is the largest in the community situated about sixety miles from Hatton Vale. It is the second oldest community founded by Apostle H F Niemeyer. The Church was opened on 12 August 1888. It was extended and re-dedicated in 1930.

Read More

Mt Barker, SA - Dunn Memorial Uniting

Mt Barker, SA - Dunn Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Address: 13 Mann Street, , Mt Barker South Australia, 5251

The church was a former Weslyan Methodist Church. The current Church hall was the first church. For more than 50 years John Dunn was actively committed to the church in Mount Barker and funded the total construction of this church named in his memory. At the time it was made, the gift of the church building was believed to be the…

Read More

Mt Moriac, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Mt Moriac, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1883

Address: Princes Highway, , Mount Moriac Victoria, 3240

In 1856 Fr Patrick Birmingham formerly of Fiery Creek was direct by Bishop Goold to reside at Mount Moriac with the charge of Colac. This continued for just one year when he left Melbourne and travelled to Sydney. Father Barrett took over his parish. The original church was located in Chapel Street and built in 1860. A new Church was…

Read More

Murchison, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Murchison, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: Corner Impey & Watson Street, , Murchison Victoria, 3610

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - Christ Church Lutheran

Murray Bridge, SA - Christ Church Lutheran

Year Built: 1882, 1938

Address: Swanport Road, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

The first Lutheran services were held in 1882 in a shed used by railway construction employees. This continued until 1884 when Mr F.W. Jaench offered a room in his home. He later sold a piece of his land for a church and an even further offer was made by Johann Gottlob Jaensch who subsidsed 10 shillings for every 1.00 raised. The…

Read More