Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1881 and 1900


Murray Bridge, SA - St John the Baptist Anglican

Murray Bridge, SA - St John the Baptist Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Mannum Road, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

In 1884 Anglicans held services at the newly-opened Bridge-port Hotel. Their first Church, the Church of St. John the Baptist,was built in 1887 at a cost of £434-l0-0. It is a plain, small limestone building with an unfinished porch. For several years it was under the control of the River Murray Mission, which also used a steamboat…

Read More

Murtoa, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Murtoa, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: Corner Lake & Marma Streets, , Murtoa Victoria, 3390

In 1884 tenders were offered for the erection of a brick church but none were forthcoming. A revised tender for a wooden church were offered and let to a Messrs Chaffer.

Read More

Murtoa, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Murtoa, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Duncan & Degenhardt Streets, , Murtoa Victoria, 3390

One of the first services in Murtoa was that of 4 October 1875 when Father P Moore took Mass in Murtoa. Construction of the first church took place in 1880 and the formal opening of the building occurred on 10 July 1881 when Dean Moore from Ballarat officiated at the event. Four memebers of the Ballarat Choir attended the celebrations…

Read More

Nagambie, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian

Nagambie, VIC - St Andrews Presbyterian

Year Built: 1900

Address: Corner of Prentice & Glass Streets, , Nagambie Victoria, 3608

The Foundation stone was laid by Cr John Gordon J.P. on 14 March 1900. The Architect was Evander Mc Iver C.E. and the builder was William Sinclair.

Read More

Nagambie, VIC - St John's Anglican

Nagambie, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: High Street, , Nagambie Victoria, 3608

St. John's Church was commenced in 1883, opened for worship on the 8th April 1883, and consecreated in 1887. Services had been conducted in Nagambie as early as 1874 in the Mechanics Institute and also in the home of Mrs Way. The Church was built in a red brick with two curious features of the building being the non alignment of the…

Read More

Nathalia, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Nathalia, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: Robertson Street, , Nathalia Victoria, 3638

In January of 1882 the Reverand D. Brown arrived in Nathalia with his wife and child. His firs services were held in the State Schools of Nathalia and Narioka. In 1884 the church building fund was augmented with various sums of money being promised. Land for the church had been donated by Mr Edward Pearce but heated controversy mounted…

Read More

Natimuk, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Natimuk, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1890

Address: Main Street, , Natimuk Victoria, 3409

The first Church of England service was held in a private residence in June 1876. In 1885 the church had its first resident Minister. The current church was built in 1890 and the bell tower was added in 1964 while the stained glass window was dedicated in 1988.

Read More

New Norfolk, TAS - St Peter's Catholic

New Norfolk, TAS - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: 2 Hillside Crescent, , New Norfolk Tasmania, 7140

Archbishop Willson's first efforts to obtain priestly ministration for the Norfolk district dated from June 19, 1850, when he suggested to the Comptroller-General of convicts that Fr. Woolfrey or one of the chaplains employed in the convict department, be placed at New Norfolk to itinerate for the spiritual care of pass-holders and…

Read More

Newport, VIC - Baptist

Newport, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1885

Address: 26 Mason Street, , Newport Victoria, 3015

An offer was made by Mr Hugh Ross of Newport to Mr Issac Hopkins, that if there was one allotment of land purchased in Newcastle street he would give an ajoinning allotment if the church was built within 12 months. The subsequent building measured 48 ft x 28ft and had seating for 250 people. it was erected by Mr C.J. Prosser to the…

Read More

Nhill, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Nhill, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1889

Address: Macpherson Street, , Nhill Victoria, 3418

In the Wimmera the first know church service was held at the Nhill Station Homestead by Reverend James Clow in 1848. The first service was held on 12 July 1889. The land for the present church was purchased in the same year for 100. The present building was erected in 1889, opened on July 12 and cost 468.00. It was built by Mr H Gunn.…

Read More

Nhill, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Nhill, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1899

Address: 33 Leahy Street, , Nhill Victoria, 3418

The original church was destroyed by a cyclone on 19 November 1897. Plans for a new church were supplied by Michael Ryan. Brickwork was carried out by W.A. Lamber and James Fyvie, carpentry and plumbing by W.G. Gunn and the bricks were supplied by Sawyer and Co of Horsham. Work commenced in August 1898 and the dedication service ok…

Read More

North Adelaide, SA - St Cyprians Anglican

North Adelaide, SA - St Cyprians Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: 70 Melbourne Street, , North Adelaide South Australia, 5006

The land was purchased in 1872 and the construction took place between 1882 and 1883. The financing was orchestrated by the Christ Church North Adelaide. The Architect was Daniel Garlick a prominent South Australian architect. Most of the students and congregation were working class people who lived nearby, some of whom worked for the…

Read More

North Essendon, VIC - Methodist

North Essendon, VIC - Methodist

Year Built: 1888

Address: 1003 Mount Alexander Road, , North Essendon Victoria, 3040

The area of the church is 57 feet and 37 feet and affords accomadation for about 350 persons. The church was erected using red and white bricks on a bluestone foundation. The total cost was 1,250.00. The memorial stone was laid by Henry Berry Esq of Melbourne and the contractors Messrs Pitt and Henville of Carlton. The Architects were Mr…

Read More

North Melbourne, VIC - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

North Melbourne, VIC - St Mary Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1900

Address: 33 Howard Street, , North Melbourne Victoria, 3051

The foundation stone for the first church was laid on 14 of May 1854. The church was a modest graceful stone building, which was completed in six months at a cost of 4,400. It was intended to be a place of worship on Sundays and a Catholic school during the week. The current Church considered to be the largest parish church in…

Read More

North Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Mary's Anglican

North Wagga Wagga, NSW - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1900

Address: Coleman Street, , North Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

The Church Foundation stone was laid most likely on 9 December 1900 as the Centenary took place on that date in 2,000.

Read More

Ocean Grove, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Ocean Grove, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1896

Address: Draper Street, , Ocean Grove Victoria, 3226

The Foundation stone was laid on 8 May 1960 by General, the Honourable Sir Edmund Herring Governor and Chief Justice of Victoria. The first Church of St. Peter's was opened on 12 January 1896.

Read More

Ocean Grove, VIC - Uniting

Ocean Grove, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1888

Address: Corner The Parade & Eggleston Street, , Ocean Grove Victoria, 3226

The Methodist Church purchased 549 acres of land from the Bank of New South Wales in 1887. This was then subdivide into 2,500 blocks and sold off. On 1 January 1888 the first Wesleyan Church service was held in the Coffee Palace. On 23 December 1888 the first service was held in the new Gothic styled church. It was resolved to build…

Read More

Port Elliot, SA - Uniting

Port Elliot, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1899

Address: William Street, , Port Elliot South Australia, 5212

Formerly a Congragational church it was called the Hotham Memorial Church. The Foundation stone was laid on 29 November 1899 by Mrs John Hotham. The Architect was C.E. Taplin. A Foundation stone was laid for the church hall in 1941.

Read More

Port Melbourne, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Port Melbourne, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: 95 Stokes Street, , Port Melbourne Victoria, 3207

Opened in 1881. Refurbished in 1999. On 7 May 1882 the Carmelites celebrate their first Mass in St Joseph's Church, Port Melbourne, Fathers Butler and Shaffrey having accepted charge of the newly-formed parish of Sandridge. Fr John Scanlon was prior and parish priest in Port Melbourne from 1909-1919, and after his term of office in…

Read More

Port Wakefiled, SA - Uniting

Port Wakefiled, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: Mine Street, , Port Wakefield South Australia, 5550

Formerly a Wesleyan Methodist church the Foundation stone was laid on 15 April 1885.

Read More

Portarlington, VIC - St John's Anglican

Portarlington, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: Corner Brown & Fenwick Streets, , Portarlington Victoria, 3223

A meeting of local residents in the Portarlington Mill in 1874 eventually resulted in plans being produced seven years later for a wooden church building when Mr James Austin gave the church half an acre. In September of 1883 the Foundation stone of the new Church of England (now Anglican) was laid by Rev H.B. Macartney D.D. Dean of…

Read More

Preston, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Preston, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1889

Address: 333 Bell Street, , Preston Victoria, 3072

The first Church was built in 1889 in Bell Street and Archbishop Carr officiated at the opening. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 October 1925 by the Most Reverend Dr McCarthy Bishop of Sandhurst. The Architect was W. P. Connelly while the builder was Reynolds Brothers. The old wooden church met the needs of the congregation until…

Read More

Preston, VIC - Saint Cyril and Methodius Greek Orthodox

Preston, VIC - Saint Cyril and Methodius Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1888

Address: Yann Street, , Preston Victoria, 3072

This church was formerly a Methodist church. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 12 November 1888 by the Honourable C.H. James M.L.C. The Architect was A Dunn. The South Preston Methodists built their first church in High Street Preston which served them until 1879 when a new one was built. In 1889 this was replaced by…

Read More

Preston, VIC - Uniting

Preston, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1894

Address: Corner Tyler & High Street, , Preston Victoria, 3072

Preston Uniting was originally a Methodist church and its history goes back to the earliest days of white settlement at Port Phillip. The founding fathers who bought the land for £20 in 1854 from Samuel Jeffrey were Brian Abbey, farmer (Newlands); Robert Christie, farmer (Plenty River); Peter Dredge storekeeper (Pentridge); Francis…

Read More

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Ilija Macedonian

Queanbeyan, NSW - St Ilija Macedonian

Year Built: 1884

Address: 265 Crawford Street, , Queanbeyan New South Wales, 2620

A single storey hall constructed of handmade brick. The Salvation Army used the hall as its first barracks from 1884 until the end of the decade. The front facade has been rendered and painted, with imitation ashlar blocking. Since its building it has served a variety of purposes within the town. Originally opened in 1877 as the…

Read More

Queenscliff, VIC - Uniting

Queenscliff, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1898

Address: Corner Hesse & Stokes Street, , Queenscliff Victoria, 3225

A well proportioned brick church built in 1888 with attractive stained glass windows. A simple rendered brick structure, formerly the Wesley Church, built in 1868 in simple Ecclesiastic style.The timber extension is excluded. The Foundation stone was laid on 24 October 1898 by the Hon James Balfour M.L.C.

Read More

Ranelagh, TAS - St James Anglican

Ranelagh, TAS - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1896

Address: 1 Louisa Street, , Ranelagh Tasmania, 7109

In 1853 a there was a bark church built for a hundred people was built at Victoria and consecrated in June 1854. The Church Chronicle reported in December 1878, "Victoria church to be built at In 1853 a hear bark church for a hundred people was built at Victoria and consecrated in June 1854. The Church Chronicle reported in December 1878,…

Read More

Red Hill, QLD - Baptist

Red Hill, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1888

Address: 16 Windsor Road, , Red Hill Queensland, 4059

In 1877 the church was formed with just 19 members, pastored by Rev Thomas Leitch. By 1888 the church building was constructed debt-free, on the present Windsor Road site, Its seats 400. The style is Victorian Carpenter Gothic. By 1973 it was considered that the church should close however the persistence e of the 30 members kept it open.…

Read More

Rosevale, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Rosevale, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1881

Address: 572 Rosevale Road, , Rosevale Queensland, 4340

The Church was originally called St Laurentius (1881 - 1928) then St Paul's from 1929 until the present day. It was served from Laidley until 1900, when it realigned with Ipswich Parish. For more information click here.

Read More

Ross, TAS - Uniting

Ross, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1882

Address: 43 Church Street, , Ross Tasmania, 7209

A foundation stones reads, "This memorial stone was laid by Elizabeth Pridden Horton Dec 15 1882". The Church was opened in 1885. Thomas Parramore gave the land and the first stone was quarried from the Beaufront Quarries. Percy Oakden, (son of Phillip, an old Horton College Student) was the architect. The foundation stones were…

Read More

Rozelle, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Rozelle, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: Gordon Street, , Rozelle New South Wales, 2039

Built in 1881.

Read More

Rushworth, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Rushworth, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1897

Address: 13 Phillips Street, , Rushworth Victoria, 3612

The first Roman Catholic church was planned in 1861 on the corner of School and Moora Streets, but was eventually burnt down. A new location was found at the corner of Phillips and Hume Streets. The foundation stone for this church was laid by the very Reverend TJ O'Connell on 16 September 1896. The construction was completed in 1897.

Read More

Rye, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Rye, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1882

Address: Lyons Street, , Rye Victoria, 3941

St Andrew's Church of England, Lyons Street, Rye, is a small limestone Church built in 1882 to the design of architects Henderson and Smart. A simple rectangle in plan, with attached porch and rectangular chancel, the Church is constructed of random coursed local limestone with flush quoins and corrugated iron roof. The large gable foot…

Read More

Saddleworth, SA - St Aidan's Anglican

Saddleworth, SA - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 25 Burra Road, , Saddleworth South Australia, 5413

Of Gothic revival style this church was built in 1894 and designed by W.K. Mallyon. It cost £800.00 and could seat 150 people. The Foundation stone was laid on 10 April 1894. Local stone was used in its construction. Kerosene lamps were replaced by wall mounted gas lamps in 1910. A general meeting of the Church of England…

Read More

Sale, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Sale, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1884

Address: 149 Cunninghame Street, , Sale Victoria, 3850

The Parish came into being in 1854 and was licenced in 1857. A substantial brick church, designed by prominent architect Nathaniel Billing and built in 1884. Extensions were added in 1907.

Read More

Seymour, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Seymour, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1887

Address: Crawford Street, , Seymour Victoria, 3661

In 1855 a grant of land was given by the Government. It was situated at the northern end of Emily Street, but it was found to be unsatisfactory because it was too far from the town and was subject to flooding. This grant was later cancelled and in 1869 another grant was made of the present site. Patrick Hanna who donated the church bell…

Read More

Shepparton, VIC - Scot's Uniting

Shepparton, VIC - Scot's Uniting

Year Built: 1885

Address: Corner Corio & fryers Streets, , Shepparton Victoria, 3630

Formerly a Presbyterian the Church was formed in 1885. However a Reverend Thomson conducted services in the area from 1876. In 1885 a parcel of land was donated by Mr William Fraser and by May 1886 tenders were let to fence the land. By December of the same year it was decided to call tenders to build a church. The Church was partly…

Read More

Snake Valley, VIC - Uniting

Snake Valley, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1892

Address: Carngham Linton Road, , Snake Valley Victoria, 3351

Formerly a Presbyterian Church it was built in 1892-93 and was wholly endowed as a memorial to the squatter The Hon Philip Russell (1822-1892). It cost more than £10,00 to build, a phenomenal sum at the time. The architect was J.J. Jackson, of Beaufort, and D. Brown the builder; the designed was modelled upon that of The Scot's Church,…

Read More

Sorell, TAS - St George's Anglican

Sorell, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 16 Gordon Street, Sorell, Tasmania, 7172

A small stone Gothic Revival church constructed in 1826 and re-built in 1883. This replaced a larger church on the same site that dated back to 1825. The contract was awarded to Messrs Grubb Bros of Hobart for 925 and most of the construction work was carried out by convicts. The first services were held in a barn. In 1826 St. George's…

Read More

Sorrento, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Sorrento, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1888

Address: Kerferd Avenue, , Sorrento Victoria, 3943

The Foundation stone was laid on 17 October 1888 by Hon J Balfour M.L.C. The original section of the church was first built in 1888 and is said to be the current transept, which is the parapet walled section nearest the street and a limestone porch was added in the following year. The current nave, the east wing attached to the hall,…

Read More