Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1891 and 1900


Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 4 Arkaba Road, , Aldgate South Australia, 5154

The Foundation stone of the church was laid on October 22 1892. The Church is a simple stone and brick building 20 feet x 30 feet. An extension of just over 3 meters was made at the eastern end, and a porch and vestry were added in 1961. The Architect for this was Dean W. Berry and the builder was H.J. Were.

Read More

Annandale, NSW - St Aidan's Anglican

Annandale, NSW - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 120 Johnston Street, , Annandale New South Wales, 2038

A commitment on 2 October 1891 was made to purchase as block of land at the corner of Booth and Johnston Streets for a price of £9 per square foot. A quote was accepted from Archibald Graham. The Foundation stone was to be laid 18 June 1892 however this was delayed due to building delays and a mistake by the builder who said he made a…

Read More

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Apsley, TAS - St John the Evangelist

Year Built: 1892

Address: 1404 Lower Marshes Road, , Apsley Tasmania, 7030

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Armadale, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1898

Address: 88 Kooyong Road, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Foundation stone was laid on 20 July 1898 by Mrs Westmore G. Stephens. The Architect was Sydney Smith and Ogg and the builder was A Parker. It was designed in an advanced Romanesque style in red brick with stucco dressings, dark brick diapering, chequerboard gable treatment and fleche on the roof ridge. The building was later…

Read More

Ashbourne, SA - Uniting

Ashbourne, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1891

Address: Main Road, , Ashbourne South Australia, 5157

The Church was formerly a Wesleyan Methodist church. It was built in 1891.

Read More

Barcaldine, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Barcaldine, QLD - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1899

Address: 83 Elm Street, , Barcaldine Queensland, 4725

At first, services at Barcaldine were held in the court house. In 1898 a handsome bequest from England, known as the Marriott bequest, contributed £250 to the cost of a church and a committee was formed to begin the work. Plans were drawn up with input from Archdeacon George Halford. In 1913 the church was completed by extending the nave…

Read More

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Belair, SA - St John's School Chapel Anglican

Year Built: 1898

Address: James Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 24 September 1898 by the Bishop of the Diocese.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Bendigo, VIC - St John's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1897

Address: 35 - 41 Forest Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

St. John's Presbyterian Church was opened in 1874 and located in Forest Street near the Barnard Street. By 1885 the Church was destroyed by fire. A new Church building was opened in 1897 on the same site. A Foundation stone was laid in November 1858 by Rev L.D. Bevan. In 1949 plans were preparred for the demolition of the church and…

Read More

Bothwell, TAS - St Michael's and All Angels Anglican

Bothwell, TAS - St Michael's and All Angels Anglican

Year Built: 1891

Address: 2 Dennistoun Road, , Bothwell Tasmania, 7030

The Church was consecrated by Bishop Montgomery in 1891. The French Gothic revival small country Cathedral was designed by Alexander North and built by Lewis and Son and Hallet. The sandstone for this church was quarried locally. The tower was added and dedicated in 1923 however is un finsiehd due to costs. Before construction of the…

Read More

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Brighton, VIC - John Knox Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1896

Address: Corner North & New Streets, , Brighton Victoria, 3186

The Foundation stone to the first church was laid on 29 October 1892 by the Brighton Mayor M.J.S. Carr Esq. John Knox church (built 1876) Original Architect - Charles Webb

Read More

Brushgrove, NSW - Uniting

Brushgrove, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1900

Address: 9 Woodford Street, , Brushgrove New South Wales, 2460

Read More

Burnie, TAS - Star of the Sea Catholic

Burnie, TAS - Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1891

Address: 96 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

There are several foundation / plaques on the church building. The church foundation stone reads, " St Mary's Star of the Sea blessed and opened by the Most Rev Daniel Murphy D.D. Archbishop of Hobart 1st January 1891, T Kenner builder, Matthew O'Callahan Parish Priest". Another reads, " Erected to the memory of the very Revd,…

Read More

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Campania, TAS - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: 6 Lee Street, Campania, Campania Tasmania, 7026

The church was consecrated in 1894. It was built and furnished at a cost of £450. Mr and Mrs H.J. Brock donated £300 towards the completion of the church. It was consecrated in November 1894 and was renovated in 1920. The Rt. Rev. H. H. Montgomery, Bishop of Tasmania (father of Field Marshal Montgomery of El Alamein fame) would have…

Read More

Cassilis, NSW - St Columba of Iona Anglican

Cassilis, NSW - St Columba of Iona Anglican

Year Built: 1899

Address: Cassilis Road, , Cassilis New South Wales, 2329

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Foundation stone was laid by Mrs Alex Busby on July 22nd 1899. The Church was consecrated in 23rd September 1900.

Read More

Cobargo, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Cobargo, NSW - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1896

Address: 58 Wandella Road, , Cobargo New South Wales, 2550

Read More

Cowper, NSW - St David's Presbyterian (Former)

Cowper, NSW - St David's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1900

Address: Clarence Street, , Cowper New South Wales, 2460

A stone tablet on the fence reads, "This fence was dedicated 4th May 1947 as a memorial to C Napper Esq, W Connor Esq F C Blanch Esq, W P Thompson Esq The committee who built The Presbyterian Church Cowper opened 25th Nov 1900". A brass plaque reads, "To commemorate the relocation of St David's Church 24th February 1991 Rev Duncan…

Read More

Crows Nest, QLD - St Matthew's Catholic

Crows Nest, QLD - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1900

Address: Esk Street, , Crows Nest Queensland, 4355

The church was built, and opened in 1900, and named St Matthew's in honour of the donor of the land. The Sisters of St. Joseph to the Parish, and the building of the Convent school was opened on 15 July, 1917. As of 2007 the church did not have a resident Priest.

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Doncaster, VIC - Lutheran

Year Built: 1892

Address: 51 Victoria Street, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The first church was built in 1858. The new church was built in 1892. The Architect was J.A. Koch. Built of red brick the building has rendered dressings and mouldings with a slate roof. The church has belfry made of timber with scale slates on the lower section and a cast iron wall vents at mid-wall.

Read More

Dookie, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Dookie, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 26 - 36 Baldock Street, , Dookie Victoria, 3646

The Church was constructed in c.1892 by local builders Alexander and Torgrimson, who also provided the furniture. Dedication of the new church was performed by the Bishop of Wangaratta on Friday 31 July 1903. A rectory was built to the east of the church in 1895. This was sold in 1976 and relocated to Tocumwal Road, near Devenish for use…

Read More

Dookie, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Dookie, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1898

Address: 93 Saddleback Road, , Dookie Victoria, 3646

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Revd Dr Reville OSA Coadjutor Bishop of Sandhurst 18th September 1898".

Read More

Dover, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Dover, TAS - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 6963 Huon Highway, , Dover Tasmania, 7117

The church was consecrated in May 1892. The church bell is a relic of the Hopetoun mill. The building was restored both outside and inside in 1974. This church was built on the land purchased in 1884 from the Stubbs Family. The Reverend Edward Thompson was the Incumbent of the Huon Parish, who with the three Church Wardens (W.P. Clennett,…

Read More

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Dromana, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: Corner Point Nepean & Odonohue Roads, , Dromana Victoria, 3936

Construction of St Mark's of Dromana was commenced in 1892. Prior to this, regular services had been held in private homes. Between 1885 and 1892, the Union church on the corner of Heales Street and Point Nepean Road was used by the Anglican congregation. In August 1892 George Morce won the tender for the building of the new church to the…

Read More

East Tamworth, NSW - Unknown

East Tamworth, NSW - Unknown

Year Built: 1893

Address: Cnr Bourke & Cathage Streets, , East Tamworth New South Wales, 2340

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid by Benjamin Coxhead Esq 15th June 1893".

Read More

Elmore, VIC - Uniting

Elmore, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1899

Address: Corner of Harvey & Clarke Streets, , Elmore Victoria, 3558

Originally called St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church which opened on June 18 1899.

Read More

Elsternwick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Elsternwick, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1897

Address: 71 Orrong Road, , Elsternwick Victoria, 3185

The Foundation stone was laid on 21 November 1897 by his Grace the Most Reverend T.J. Carr D.D.

Read More

Fern Tree, TAS - St Raphael's Anglican

Fern Tree, TAS - St Raphael's Anglican

Year Built: 1893

Address: 725 Huon Road, , Fern Tree Tasmania, 7054

In 1890 services at Fern Tree were being held in private homes and in the Inn. But in 1892 the foundation stone was laid and this Gothic style wooden church. The architect was Alan Walker and the cost was £447. It was consecrated in February 1893 and although surrounded by trees and bushes this church has survived two major bush fires.…

Read More

Flinders, VIC - St John's the Evangelist Anglican

Flinders, VIC - St John's the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1891

Address: 23 King Street, , Flinders Victoria, 3929

After St Peter's Mornington opened, there were more frequent visits to Flinders, and 26 services were held in the School house in 1867 and by 1881 fortnightly services were being conducted in the Mechanics Hall or in private homes by the Vicar of St Peter's, The Rev T Quinton (1875-1888) or one of the Lay Readers, and a Flinders Sabbath…

Read More

Footscray, VIC - St John's Anglican

Footscray, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1891

Address: 77A Paisley Street, , Footscray Victoria, 3011

The church, is in the Gothic style and built in red and white brick with stone dressings, was opened in November 1891. The architect was Mr C.J. Polain and the builders were Messrs Jason Fraser and Son. A Foundation stone on the Church reads, " This memorial stone was laid by James Cuming Esq Mayor of the City on Tuesday May the 26th…

Read More

Gardenvale, VIC - St James Catholic

Gardenvale, VIC - St James Catholic

Year Built: 1891

Address: 73 North Road, , Gardenvale Victoria, 3185

The first Church was a wooden building constructed by the Very Reverend M Carey on the site facing North Road in 1882. It was a temporary building, used as a Church on Sundays and a schoolhouse on weekdays. Extensions were made in 1889. It was blessed by Dr Reville, the Co-adjutor Bishop of Sandhurst, in 1892. Construction of the…

Read More

Glengarry, TAS - St Canice's Catholic

Glengarry, TAS - St Canice's Catholic

Year Built: 1894

Address: 33 Glengarry Road, , Glengarry Tasmania, 7275

The Church was built by pioneer Catholics in the district in 1894, and was served from Westbury until 1986. Daniel Burke who helped the Irish exiles at Westbury and became warden of the municipality, presented and address to the Archbishop at the opening of the church in 1894. The Church is a weatherboard building capable of seating…

Read More

Goombungee, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Goombungee, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Year Built: 1900

Address: Albert Street, , Goombungee Queensland, 4354

The first Church was opened in 1903 with over 300 people attending.

Read More

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1897

Address: Frederick Street, , Greenock South Australia, 5360

The first meeting was held on 31 March 1897 to consider forming a congregation. The first services were held in the Daveyston School from 1897 to 1898 and then in the Wesleyan Church on a monthly basis. By 1899 land was purchased and tenders were called to build a church. The tender of Mr E Graetz of Keyneton was accepted. The cost of the…

Read More

Hawthorn, SA - St Columba's Anglican

Hawthorn, SA - St Columba's Anglican

Year Built: 1898

Address: 101 Cross Road, , Hawthorn South Australia, 5062

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 May 1898.

Read More

Healesville, VIC - St Bridget's Catholic

Healesville, VIC - St Bridget's Catholic

Year Built: 1899

Address: Corner High & Ryrie Streets, , Healesville Victoria, 3777

November 1899 saw the first new parish mission established in Healesville by Reverend Patrick Gleeson who had arrived in Melbourne from Ireland on September 9. He had already served at West Melbourne, Mansfield, Castlemaine and St Kilda East before arriving in Healesville. At the turn of the 20th century St Bridget's Hall on the corner…

Read More

Hobart, TAS St Mary's Catholic Cathedral

Hobart, TAS St Mary's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1898

Address: 180 Harrington Street, , Hobart Tasmania, 7000

St Mary’s Cathedral was the vision of the first Bishop of Hobart Town, Robert William Willson. Bishop Willson chose the design and spent years raising the funds. Designed by William Wardell, one of Australia’s greatest nineteenth-century architects, it was completed except for its steeple between 1876 and 1898 to a modified design by…

Read More

Jerilderie, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican

Jerilderie, NSW - St Stephen's Anglican

Year Built: 1897

Address: Corner Brown & Mahonga Streets, , Jerilderie New South Wales, 2716

The church was dedicated in August 1897 while the Foundation stone was laid by Ernest Augustus Anderson D.D. Bishop of Riverina on 20 December 1897.

Read More

Jugiong, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Jugiong, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1895

Address: Jugiong Road, Jugiong, New South Wales, 2726

In 1863 the first site selected for a church, school and Parsonage was section No 7 bounded by Larmar Renwick and Stapyton streets. This was dedicated on 16 July 1863 but was later revoked and rrserved for the preservation of graves. The Foundation stone was laid on 21 December 1872 by Mr H Howe Esq JP. A further Foundation stone was laid…

Read More

Kanumbra, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Kanumbra, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1898

Address: Minterns Road, , Kanumbra Victoria, 3719

The Church was built in 1898 at the cost of £100. A Mr William McGuigan donated the land to the Methodists. He also donated a piece of land to the Church of England. The Minister of the day would travel from Alexandra. The final service was conducted in 1988.

Read More

Kingston, TAS - St Clements Anglican

Kingston, TAS - St Clements Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Address: Corner Channel Highway & Beach Street, , Kingston Tasmania, 7051

The first church was designed by James Blackburn and was dedicated in October 1852. It was consecrated in December 1856. It was repaired in S89,, but by 1892 it was falling down, so it was pulled down. A new church of wood, designed by George Fagg, was built and opened in 1894 and consecrated in February 1895. The choir and vestry were…

Read More

Koolunga, SA - St John's Anglican

Koolunga, SA - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1894

Services were first held in the Schoolroom. The old Millhouse was aquired in 1879 and this was used as the Church from that year to 1894. The Church was dedicated 2nd September 1894. The Foundation stone of the Rectory was laid on 7 November 1882 by Miss Rose Maslin of Bundaleer.

Read More