Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1901 and 1910


Albion Park, NSW - Presbyterian

Albion Park, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1908

Address: 250 Tongarra Road, , Albion Park New South Wales, 2527

The first Presbyterian Church in Albion Park was built of rubble stone in 1866 but was demolished due to disrepair. The new Presbyterian Church was built with half the cost being met by Albion Park pioneer John Russell. It was built of rubble stone in 1866 but was demolished due to disrepair. The Church Gothic style Church was built by F.…

Read More

Allora, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Allora, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1906

Address: 44 Warwick Street, , Allora Queensland, 4362

The Original Church was built around 1879 while the current Church was built in 1906. The foundation stone was laid on 25th July 1906 in the presence of the Rev D McLellan.

Read More

Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Apollo Bay, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Collingwood Street, , Apollo Bay Victoria, 3233

Built in 1905.

Read More

Armadale, VIC - Holy Advent Anglican

Armadale, VIC - Holy Advent Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: 5 St Georges Road, , Armadale Victoria, 3143

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 April 1910 by the Archbishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Arncliffe, NSW - St Mark's Coptic Orthodox

Arncliffe, NSW - St Mark's Coptic Orthodox

Year Built: 1906

Address: 72 Wollongong Road, , Arncliffe New South Wales, 2205

A Foundation stone reads, This memorial stone was laid by Mrs Marian Davies July 21 1906. A further Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone was laid by His Excellency Admiral Sir Harry Rawson GG3 Governor of NSW July 21 1906". A further foundation stone reads "The God of heaven, He will prosper us therefore we his servants will…

Read More

Auburn, NSW - Uniting Harold Wood Congregation

Auburn, NSW - Uniting Harold Wood Congregation

Year Built: 1910

Address: 151 Auburn Road, , Auburn New South Wales, 2144

Read More

Auburn, NSW- Presbyterian

Auburn, NSW- Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: 29 Queen Street, , Auburn New South Wales, 2144

Constructed in 1905 in Federation style designed in a cruciform-shape with large plinths and a substantial extension to the rear. The roof is clad in corrugated iron which has replaced an earlier tiled roof. The Church walls constructed of face-brick with polychromatic brickwork are set on a concrete base with brick and concrete wall…

Read More

Axedale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Axedale, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1902

Address: 15 Raglan Place East, , Axedale Victoria, 3551

The original St Mary’s church was blessed and opened for worship on Sunday 9th February, 1862. It was a bluestone building, plain and unpretentious, on the hill, maybe 100 or so yards east of the present Church. The current Church consists of a nave 48’ x 26’, sanctuary 17’ x 16’, vestry 14’ x 11’, and a porchway at the entrance 8’ x…

Read More

Bagdad, TAS - St Michael and all Angels Anglican

Bagdad, TAS - St Michael and all Angels Anglican

Year Built: 1903

Address: Midland Highway, , Bagdad Tasmania, 7030

The Church was first called St Thomas'. Services were held in the public hall but in 1897 there were plans to build a church. The Foundation stone was laid in November 1903 and the building dedicated in April 1094. In July 1919 the foundation stone of the Chancel was laid.

Read More

Bald Hills, QLD - Presbyterian

Bald Hills, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1910

Address: 58 Strathpine Road, , Bald Hills Queensland, 4036

In May 1863, the first Presbyterian Church of Bald Hills was built and opened by the Reverend C. Ogg. Three years later Bald Hills was included in Reverend Alexander Caldwell’s charge of Oxley Creek and Fortitude Valley. This small Federation Carpenter Gothic style timber framed church was built in 1910 after the previous church,…

Read More

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Balmain, NSW - St Augustine's Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: 6 Eaton Street, , Balmain New South Wales, 2041

The first St Augustine's was built in 1848 and designed by Augustus Pugin England's most influential early Victorian architect. In 1848 the Archbishop of Sydney put up a bond of 150 which would be voided unless part of a church or materials worth 400 were on site within 18 months. The "magnificent plot of land [was] beautifully…

Read More

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner High Street & Milton Road, , Bannockburn Victoria, 3331

The site for St John's was selected in July 1900 by Archpriest McKenna from St Mary's, Geelong and had formerly been owned by R. Phillip. A tender from J.C. Taylor & Sons was accepted in October 1900 and the church was constructed at a cost of 437 pounds. The church opened early in April 1901 with the first mass conducted by the Rev.…

Read More

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Beaconsfield, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1909

Address: 125 Weld Street, , Beaconsfield Tasmania, 7270

Gold mining attracted many Methodist Cornishmen to settle in this district. In 1861 services were held at Supply River with preachers provided from Launceston. In 1878 the Primitive Methodists came to Beaconsfield and by 1880 the Rev C.R. Rice took up ministry there as part of the Launceston Mission. By 1891 Beaconsfield was created a…

Read More

Beecroft, NSW - Presbyterian

Beecroft, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1908

Address: 1A Mary Street, , Beecroft New South Wales, 2119

On 17 December 1903 a congregational meeting agreed to purchase the land upon which the church was subsequently built. The building for the Church was commenced on 19 September 1908 and was opened on 13 February 1909. The sandstone for the foundations was locally quarried and donated by George Frederick Willis, the father of David John…

Read More

Beecroft, NSW - St John's Anglican

Beecroft, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1907

Initially a site on the southern corner of Beecroft Road and Hannah Street was purchased, architectural plans of William Coward were accepted and building by Hart & Sons of Parramatta of a small timber church was completed. Later due to the growth of the Church it was decided to purchase a new site, and the larger present site was…

Read More

Bellerive, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Bellerive, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 23 Clarence Street, , Bellerive Tasmania, 7018

(Known firslty as Kangaroo Point) St. Mark's was formerly Clarence). In 1826 there was a small Chapel of Ease at Clarence Plains, one of the only five churches in Tasmania. In June 1852 S. Mark's Chapel, Kangaroo Point was consecrated. This building still stands and in 1932 it was restored by Toc H. to be used by scouts and guides. In…

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Benalla, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: Corner Church & Mitchell Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The Foundation stone was laid David Maughan Esq on 17 May 1905.

Read More

Benalla, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Benalla, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: Corner Wedge & Arundel Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The first St Joseph's was built in 1866. The current Church was completed in 1908 in a Romanesque style at a cost of £9,000. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne on 21 July 1907 assisted by Bishop Reville and Dean Davey 1907. In 1989 a fire destroyed a large part of the building…

Read More

Bendick Murrell, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Bendick Murrell, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: Main Street, , Bendick Murrell New South Wales, 2803

The church was opened in 1906.

Read More

Berrigan, NSW - St Adian's Anglican

Berrigan, NSW - St Adian's Anglican

Year Built: 1902

Address: Corner Jerilderie Street & Memorial Street, , Berrigan New South Wales, 2712

A wall plaque reads, " This Church was built in 1902 in Jerilderie Street. Across the road is the Vicarage which was built in 1908, and the hall to the rear in the 1950's. The stained glass windows dedicated in 1973, were bequeathed by Nora Heald who was the daughter of Jacob Verso resident priest 1901 - 1920. Nora was the wife of Dr.…

Read More

Bethunga, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Bethunga, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: 2 Armstrong Street, , Bethunga Victoria, 3691

Read More

Blanchtown, SA - Advent Lutheran

Blanchtown, SA - Advent Lutheran

Year Built: 1903

Address: Paisley Road, , Blanchtown South Australia, 5357

The first Lutheran pastor was Pastor Peter Bonifacuis Hoefner, who lived on the East side of the Paisley river and conducted services at his home from 1896 to 1901. In 1901 Pastor Hoefner moved from the Blanchetown district to Queensland. The congregation then joined the Stonefield Parish whose pastor was Pastor J. P. Lohe. On February…

Read More

Bookham, NSW - St Columba's Catholic (Former)

Bookham, NSW - St Columba's Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1910

Address: Fagan Drive, , Bookham New South Wales, 2582

A Foundation stone reads, " St Columba's Church Foundation stone blessed and laid 14th Aug 1910 by Right Rev J. Gallagher D.D. Bishop of Goulburn Rev John Sharkey Rector". Today the Church is in private hands.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Bordertown, SA - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: McLeod Street, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

Read More

Botany, NSW - Gracepoint Christian

Botany, NSW - Gracepoint Christian

Year Built: 1902

Address: 1355 Botany Road, , Botany New South Wales, 2019

Several Foundations stones are present all of which are hard to read. Most show a date of 1902. One reads, "This stone was laid by Rev George Lane President of the NSW General Conference 1902". A second stone reads " This stone was laid by W. Stephen Esq Ex Mayor 1902". A third reads "This stone ???? R.J Anderson 1902".

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Brisbane, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1905

Address: 299 Ann Street, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

The church is a well-composed building, relying more for its character relying on the intrinsic characteristics of natural materials and the bold massing of simple forms than on ornamentation and decoration, which are often characteristic of ecclesiastical architecture. The architect, was much influenced by the late Victorian interest in…

Read More

Brisbane, QLD - St John's Anglican Cathedral

Brisbane, QLD - St John's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1909

Address: 373 Ann Stret, , Brisbane Queensland, 4000

St John's Cathedral is unique in Australia as the completion of the building design was achieved through collaboration between clergy, stonemasons and architects over a period of almost 100 years, as with Romanesque and Gothic cathedrals in the Middle Ages and, more recently, 20th-century cathedrals such as Liverpool Cathedral in England.…

Read More

Bundanoon, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Bundanoon, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: 15 Church Street, , Bundanoon New South Wales, 2578

In 1879, Holy Trinity Anglican church was built on its present site. (the timber church was destroyed by bushfire in December, 1904; rebuilt in stone in 1905). On 8 March 1905 the ladies of the church provided luncheon for the Governor of NSW, Sir Harry Rawson and Lady Rawson on the occasion of the laying of the foundation stone for a…

Read More

Bungaree, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Bungaree, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1910

Address: 184 Bungaree Wallace Road, , Bungaree Victoria, 3352

The Parish was established in 1890. A few years before in 1878 Dean Moore purchased a block of land for a church and school. This land now holds the Bungaree hall and some adjoining houses. The first recorded baptism in Bungaree was that of Ellena Rice performed by Fr J Cleary on 31 August 1890. When Fr Linane retired in 1965 Fr…

Read More

Bunyip, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Bunyip, VIC - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1902

Address: 26 A'Beckett Street, , Bunyip Victoria, 3815

The Bunyip Parish of St. Thomas' was originally part of the Gippsland Fort mission in 1879 and early church services were held In Kraft's Hall. By the early 1890': a-proper church was being planned, and fund raising began In December 1891. On 15 October 1902, Mrs W. A. A'Beckett Snr of Brighton laid the foundation block for the new…

Read More

Burnie, TAS - Uniting

Burnie, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: 60 Mount Street, , Burnie Tasmania, 7320

A Primitive Methodist Church was built in Mount street in 1869 and a second church was built alongside the earlier church in 1891. A Wesleyan Methodist Church built in Cattley Street in 1894. They were removed to the rear in 1900. The Grand Opening of the first church took place in May, 1869. The erection of this Methodist Chapel by a…

Read More

Bute, SA - Uniting

Bute, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1902

Address: Corner First & Third Streets, , Bute South Australia, 5560

A Foundation stone was laid on 27 August 1902 by P Jackson Esq J.P. There is another on the corner of the building that is dated 1894. The church was opened on 16th November 1902 and replaced an earlier timber framed iron building opened on 15/11/1885. Prior to the erection of this building, Primitive Methodist services had begun about…

Read More

Calwell, ACT - Sacred Heart Catholic

Calwell, ACT - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1902

Address: 100 Casey Crescent, , Calwell Australian Capital Territory, 2905

This Gothic-style weatherboard church was only the second Catholic church in the ACT. Built by voluntary labour, it was opened on 29 June 1902 and formally dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Father James O'Gorman from Michelago preached the first sermon. As this was part of the Sydney Diocese, Archbishop Kelly, the fourth…

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Camberwell, VIC - Trinity Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: 581 Riversdale Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The first Presbyterian service in Camberwell was held in the old Shire Hall on 6 September 1885. The site on which the present Church stands was purchased for £375, and almost immediately the first building was erected, at a cost of £566. It was a very plain, weatherboard structure, and seated about 200 persons. This first church was…

Read More

Camperdown, VIC - Uniting

Camperdown, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner Barkly & Leura Street, , Camperdown Victoria, 3260

The Foundation stone was laid by Miss J Curdie of Tanderook on 18 April 1901.

Read More

Candelo, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Candelo, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: 373 Slaters Lane, , Candelo New South Wales, 2550

A Foundation stone reads, " AD DEI Glorium This stone was laid by Christopher George Lord Bishop of Goulburn On Wednesday 14 Nov 1906 Frederick W. E. Wilkinson Acting Rector". A plaque reads, " Thanks be to God In commemoration of the laying of the Foundation stone at St Peter's Candelo by Bishop George Browning Canberra Goulburn Rector…

Read More

Canowindra, NSW - St Edwards Catholic

Canowindra, NSW - St Edwards Catholic

Year Built: 1902

Address: Tilga Street, , Canowindra New South Wales, 2804

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Rev J. Dunne D.D. Bishop of Bathurst 11th May 1902". A further Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Rev J. Dunne D.D. Bishop of Bathurst July 27 1913".

Read More

Canowindra, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Canowindra, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1901

Address: 21 Rodd Street, , Canowindra New South Wales, 2804

The foundation stone was laid in 1901 and the church was opened on 8th November 1902. The building together with the later dwelling that served as accommodation for the rector was sold off in circa 1990s.

Read More

Casino, NSW - Presbyterian

Casino, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1908

Address: 181 Canterbury Road, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

St Paul's Presbyterian Church was opened on Wednesday 15 July 1908 by the Right Rev. J. Macaulay, Moderator of the General Assembly. Designed by the Casino architects, Messrs Popplewell and Sykes, in the Early English Gothic style.

Read More

Casino, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Casino, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: Cnr West & Barker Streets, , Casino New South Wales, 2470

Casino’s first Anglican Church was built of Cedar in 1871 on the bank of the Richmond River. The foundation stone of the present church was laid on the 27th August 1904 and the church was dedicated the next year.

Read More