Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1901 and 1910


Grenfell, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Grenfell, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: Weddin Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

As early as 1838 when Yass was established as the first Ecclesiastical district in the interior of Australia, the whole area from Yass to Melbourne was served by a solitary dedicated priest. The first of these was Fr Brennan followed in 1839 by Fr Lovatt and in 1847 by Fr Magennis. In July 1884 Grenfell and Gooloogong were cut off…

Read More

Gulgong, NSW - Presbyterian

Gulgong, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1909

Address: 46 Bayly Street, , Gulgong New South Wales, 2852

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Mrs T.O. McCreadie 1st December 1909".

Read More

Guyra, NSW - St Mary of the Angles Catholic

Guyra, NSW - St Mary of the Angles Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: 47 Malpas Street, , Guyra New South Wales, 2365

A Foundation stone reads, " Church of St Mary the Angles - This stone was laid by the Right Rev Dr O'Connor Bishop of Armidale on the 15th March 1908".

Read More

Hawthorn, VIC - Uniting

Hawthorn, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1910

Address: 10 Power Street, , Hawthorn Victoria, 3122

In 1895 the West Hawthorn Presbyterian Church was established in Grove Road however it was burnt down in 1961. The Foundation stone to the current church was laid on 19 July 1910 by James Dyer Esq. The Architect was H. W. & F B Tompkins and the Builders were J Bennell and Son.

Read More

Heidelberg, VIC - Scots Uniting

Heidelberg, VIC - Scots Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: 183 Burgundy Street, , Heidelberg Victoria, 3084

Formerly a Presbyterian Church the first services were held at the invitation of Mr Alexander Duncan father of the late Mrs Geo Smith of Bulleen, in a barn in Bulleen Road. The first church was located in Jika Street opposite the current Police Station and the land was purched by the then Reverend Gunn. The building was of brick and…

Read More

Heidelberg, VIC - St John's Catholic

Heidelberg, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1909

Address: Corner Cape & Yarra Streets, , Heidelberg Victoria, 3084

The Church was designed by William W Wardell and commenced in 1860 under the supervision of J B Denny. It was completed in 1909 largely to Wardell's design, under Kempson and Conolly. The Foundation stone was laid on 5 September 1909 by the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Holbrook, NSW - Knox Uniting

Holbrook, NSW - Knox Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: Corner Hume Highway & Hume Street, , Holbrook New South Wales, 2644

Until the year 1870, there had been no religious services held in the district of Germanton (later Holbrook). The population had increased during the two or three years previously, and a desire for religious services was expressed. The Rev. Alex Robb, who at this time was the Minister of the Presbyterian Church at Albury, arranged to…

Read More

Hughenden, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Hughenden, QLD - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1908

Address: 18 Reslolution Street, , Hughenden Queensland, 4821

St. Andrew's Presbyterian parish, in the early days an outpost on the north-west frontier of the State when Reverend J. B. Galloway travelled far and wide to establish congregations. Subsequently Reverend Andrew Hudson, from Scotland, became the first permanent minister of the parish and inducted on 18th August 1908. Later Reverend G. K.…

Read More

Hurstville, NSW - St Giles Presbyterian

Hurstville, NSW - St Giles Presbyterian

Year Built: 1904

Address: Corner Park & McMahon Streets, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220

The first Presbyterian Church in Hurstville was a wooden building built in 1904 in Forest Road. The second Church was built in 1923 and is now the Youth Centre opposite the current Church. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid by his Excellency the Governor of New South Wales Lieut General Sir John Northcott on 5 March…

Read More

Inverell, NSW - Uniting

Inverell, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1903

Address: 21 Rivers Street, , Inverell New South Wales, 2360

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by John McCrea Esq 1903".

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Junee, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1903

Address: Corner Lisgar & Denison Streets, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

Constructed of brick the foundation stone was laid on 15 March 1903 by Neil McCallum Esq.

Read More

Junee, NSW - St Paul's Uniting

Junee, NSW - St Paul's Uniting

Year Built: 1904

Address: Corner Dalley & Stewart Streets, , Junee New South Wales, 2663

The original foundation stone was laid on 2 August 1904 by P Boynton Esq. A subsequent foundation stone was laid on 17 December 1955 by Reverend W.J. Hobbin. Constructed as St Paul's Methodist Church in 1904 and this replaced the old wooden Church on the site. This structure was re-erected on the site behind the new church, facing…

Read More

Kadina, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Kadina, SA - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: 26 Hay Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The Foundation stone was laid on 18 November 1910 by Lord Bishop of Adelaide Arthur Nutter.

Read More

Katanning, WA - Methodist (Former)

Katanning, WA - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1905

Address: 23 Taylor Street, , Katanning Western Australia, 6317

The building is in Gothic style with a gabled rood, pier buttresses and lancet arched windows. The exterior walls are tuck-pointed, red brick, cement rendered on the lower half and the roof is of corrugated iron. There are two additions to the rear, dating from 1919 and cl930. The interior fixtures such as the pews, altar and pulpit, were…

Read More

Katanning, WA - Uniting

Katanning, WA - Uniting

Year Built: 1907

Address: 38 Taylor Street, , Katanning Western Australia, 6317

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 October 1906. The Architect was F.W. Burwell and the builder was A Thomson. A brick and corrugated iron building of Federation Gothic design. It has a prominent zinc clad spire protruding from a battlement campanile. Mr F W Burwell of Fremantle prepared plans for the church. The contract price was…

Read More

Keith, SA - Congregational (former)

Keith, SA - Congregational (former)

Year Built: 1910

Address: Heritage Street, , Keith South Australia, 5267

The 1910 Church, formerly the Congregational Church was built from local limestone carted in from nearby farms by the Church parishioners.In Gothic style with red brick quoins, and entrance porch and a transverse vestry at the rear. It is operated by the National Trust as a museum. The manse was sold in 1954.

Read More

Koonya, TAS - St Alban's Anglican

Koonya, TAS - St Alban's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Henry Street, , Koonya Tasmania, 7187

On July 23 1894 a public meeting was held and the initial steps were taken to erect an Anglican Church in Koonya. Mr J.R. McClymont kidley donated three acres of land for that purpose and for a cemetery. This was supplemented with a quantity of materials. On March 6 1904 the Church was opened and dedicated to St Alban by the Right…

Read More

Kyabram, VIC - St David's Presbyterian

Kyabram, VIC - St David's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1906

Address: Church Street, , Kyabram Victoria, 3620

The Church was named St Davids in recognition of David Stewart Menzies, the patriarch of Kyabram Presbyterianism. * The Reverend W Thomson of Mooroopna started Presbyterian services in the Kyabram district in 1877 and continued until 1884. Services started in the Taripta School and then later in the home of Mr D.S. Menzies. One acre…

Read More

Laidley, QLD - St Saviour's Anglican

Laidley, QLD - St Saviour's Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: 28 Ambrose Street, , Laidley Queensland, 4341

According to TROVE in 1888 a parsonage was erected at a cost of £221 along with a bell and tower for £22. A Foundation stone was laid on 15 November 1909 by the Archdeacon of Toowoomba A.R. Rivers. The Church is an example of Gothic architecture and possibly the first church in Australia to be constructed with reinforced cement. The…

Read More

Latrobe, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Latrobe, TAS - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1906

Address: 2 Cotton Street, , Latrobe Tasmania, 7307

The first Anglican services in the Latrobe district were held at Ballahoo on the western bank of the Mersey River. In 1868 Latrobe School Church was opened at a cost of £145 and in 1871 it was still a school church. A Church was consecrated in 1887 and in 1892 Church News stated that there were plans for a new Church. Plans for a new…

Read More

Launceston, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Launceston, TAS - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1901

Address: 32 Cameron Street, , Launceston Tasmania, 7250

Of Gothic-Revival design and built of red brick and sandstone in 1901 replacing an earlier building. It was opened in the following year. One of Alexander North's most successful architectural works. It has the chancel, transepts and crossing. He was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, England. The building incorporates a five-bay aisled…

Read More

Leichhardt, NSW - Uniting

Leichhardt, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1905

Address: 3 Wetherill Street, , Leichhardt New South Wales, 3516

Formerly a Methodist Hall the foundation stone was laid on 4 November 1905 by Mrs W.J. Jenner.

Read More

Lochiel, SA - Uniting

Lochiel, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1901

Address: Frances Street, , Lochiel South Australia, 5510

The Church was built in 1901. The Foundation stone was laid on 2 September 1901 by Mrs S Cray.

Read More

Maffra, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Maffra, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1904

Address: 6 Pearson Street, , Maffra Victoria, 3860

A Foundation stone reads, " Presbyterian Church This stone was laid by Mrs A. Morison 30th March 1904 - HW & FC Tompkins Architect W Sinclair Builder". A further stone reads This Tower's bell has been erected to the memory of the Lair Samuel Lees by his wife Jane Lees who laid this stone on Sept 23 1922".

Read More

Maldon, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Maldon, VIC - Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1905

Address: 1 Church Street, , Maldon Victoria, 3463

Formerly a Presbyterian Church it was sold in 2014 to raise funds for the church. The Foundation stone was laid by Mrs Margaret Oswald on 8 November 1905. The laying of the foundation stone of the new Presbyterian Church was performed in the presence of a large assemblage . . . despite the fact that the thermometer registered nearly…

Read More

Malvern East, VIC - Slavic Evangelical Baptist Church

Malvern East, VIC - Slavic Evangelical Baptist Church

Year Built: 1910

Address: 65a Tooronga Road , , Malvern East Victoria, 3145

The Church was built in 1910, with an adjacent Sunday School constructed in 1927. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Memorial stone was laid by Mrs Westmore G. Stephens 12th March 1910. G.F.B. Ballantyne Architect and Builder".

Read More

Malvern, VIC - Korean Uniting

Malvern, VIC - Korean Uniting

Year Built: 1904

Address: 23 Glendearg Grove, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

A Memorial stone was laid on 8 October 1904 by the Honable W.H. Edgar MLC. The Architect was B Goodridge. Another stone was laid on the same date by F.J. Cato Esq.

Read More

Malvern, VIC - Presbyterian

Malvern, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1905

Address: 161 Wattle Tree Road, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 December 1905 by Charles Du Plan Lloyd.

Read More

Malvern, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Malvern, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1908

Address: 47 Stanhope Street, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

The Very Rev. Father (afterwards Dean) Hegarty, parish priest of St. Kilda celebrated the first public Mass for the Catholics of Malvern in the new Malvern Town Hall on the third Sunday of September 1888. An earlier Mass had been said on the 3rd February 1888 at the recently established Convent of the Sacred Heart in Burke Road. In 1889,…

Read More

Malvern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Malvern, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1904

Address: Corner Glenferrie & Dandenong Roads, , Malvern Victoria, 3144

In 1904 St Paul's first wooden church was built on the corner of Derby Parade and Salisbury St Caulfield and licensed as St Paul's Caulfield on the 20th of February. In 1909 the church was put on wheels and moved by horse cart to our present location. In 1910, after renovations it reopened as St Paul's, Malvern and Caulfield. The Vicarage…

Read More

Mannum, SA - St Andrew's Anglican

Mannum, SA - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: Adelaide Road, , Mannum South Australia, 5238

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 May 1910 by the Venerable Archdeacon Bussell.

Read More

McLaren Vale, SA - St Margaret's Anglican

McLaren Vale, SA - St Margaret's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Main Road, , McLaren Vale South Australia, 5171

The land was donated by Thomas Hardy in 1905 formerly vineyards owned by William Hobcroft. The Foundation stone was laid on 19 June 1911by Thomas Hardy and the Church was dedicated on 21 November 1911. The Nave built of clay and limestone was added in 1968 to the memory of A.C. and E.H. Johnston.

Read More

Melbourne, VIC - St Michael's Uniting

Melbourne, VIC - St Michael's Uniting

Year Built: 1904

Address: 154 Collins Street, , Melbourne Victoria, 3000

Known as the Collins Street Independent Church. A Mr Hopkins laid the foundation stone of the first church in September 1839 and the building was opened for worship on 1 January 1841. Later when this small chapel had already been enlarged during the 1850's it had outgrown the needs of the Colony and plans had to be made to replace it…

Read More

Minlaton, SA - St Malachy's Catholic

Minlaton, SA - St Malachy's Catholic

Year Built: 1905

Address: Main Street, , Minlaton South Australia, 5575

The Church was built in 1905. The Foundation stone was laid on 15 October 1905.

Read More

Molong, NSW - St John's Anglican

Molong, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: 42 Edward Street, , Molong New South Wales, 2866

A Foundation stone reads in part, " This stone was laid A.M.D.G. by Mrs James Lee of Lappas ??? October ??? 1905".

Read More

Moonta, SA - Salvation Army

Moonta, SA - Salvation Army

Year Built: 1901

Address: Robert Street, , Moonta South Australia, 5558

Two foundation stones were laid on 30 March 1901. The first was by Thomas H Cook Mayor of Moonta and the second was by Brigadier Birkenshaw S.C. O.

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Murray Bridge, SA - Holy Cross Lutheran

Year Built: 1909

Address: Corner Florence & Charles Streets, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

The first services were held in a local schoolhouse and then for two years in one of the local halls. The first Holy Cross church was erected in 1909 at the corner of Clara and McHenry Streets and was used up until 1925. The foundation stone was laid in May by Pastor Appelt and the church was dedicated on 31 October 1909. The…

Read More

Murray Bridge, SA - Holy Redemmer Catholic

Murray Bridge, SA - Holy Redemmer Catholic

Year Built: 1910

Address: 2 Park Terrace, , Murray Bridge South Australia, 5254

The builder of the Church was Mr F. Fricker of Adelaide. The contract was signed on 15 July 1910 for a cost of 1230.00 not including furnishings. The Foundation stone was laid on 4 September 1910. Built form Murray Bridge freestone the nave was to be 25ft wide while its length was to be 45ft with seating for 250 people. Mr T Bartlett…

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - Church of Christ (Former)

Naracoorte, SA - Church of Christ (Former)

Year Built: 1906

Address: 10 Robertson Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Church was erected in 1906 and is now the local Historical Museum.

Read More

Narrandera, NSW - St John's Uniting

Narrandera, NSW - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1907

Address: Douglas Street, , Narrandera New South Wales, 2700

Formerly a Presbyterian church the foundation stone was laid on 4 April 1907. A donation of £3,000 guineas was made by Sir Samuel McCaughey MLC towards the construction of the church. The church was opened on 28 February 1908. The Church was designed by Melbourne architects, Campbell and Kernot, and built between 1907 and 1908 by W and…

Read More