Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1921 and 1930


Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1927

Address: 304 Barkley Street, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

There are three St Mary's in Ararat. The first was dedicated by Fr Goold in 1868. The second was dedicated by Bishop Moore in 1889 while the third was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Foley. The Immaculate Conception Parish Ararat was established in 1858 by Bishop James Alipius Goold OSA of Melbourne. In 1871 at the request of Fr Hogan a…

Read More

Ascot Vale, VIC Methodist (Former)

Ascot Vale, VIC Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1926

Address: 43 The Parade, , Ascot Vale Vicotira, 3032

In 1926 the Church building fund allowed for a tender to go out for a church to be built to seat 300 to 350 people at a cost of £4,000 including furnishings and fittings. A Foundation stone was laid on 18 September 1926 bt Mr .J. Cato who also gave a donation of £100 towards the funds. During the same year a block of land was purchased at…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic

Year Built: 1930

Address: 19 Brenbeal Street, , Balwyn Victoria,

The church was presumably named after the Irish theological college, All Hallows College in Dublin, where the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr Daniel Mannix, had studied. The building and site, together with furnishings and ground improvements, cost £3964 in total (Advocate 16 January 1930:22). The Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr…

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Church of Christ (Former)

Balwyn, VIC - Church of Christ (Former)

Year Built: 1922

Address: 208 Whitehorse Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

The Church was opened on October 8th 1922. A Foundation meeting was held on 16 May 1922 at the present site while on 2 July a special Foundation Service was held at 11.00am The Mission opened that night in the tent on a site on Whitehorse Road near Weir Street. The Church has now been sold and due for demolition in 2021.

Read More

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Barmedman, NSW - St Paul's Presbyterian (Former)

Year Built: 1926

Address: 32 - 34 Queen Street, , Barmedman New South Wales, 2668

The first St Paul's Presbyterian Church Barmedman was a timber structure which was used from late 1890. The present brick structure was opened in March 1927. The Foundation stone was laid on 20 October 1926 by John Stewart. The Church is now in private hands.

Read More

Belair, SA - Uniting

Belair, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: Sheoak Road, , Belair South Australia, 5052

The foundation stone was laid on 4 February 1928 by Mrs Arthur H. Gault.

Read More

Bendigo, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Bendigo, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1930

Address: 26 Myers St, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550

A Foundation stone was laid by Mrs William Hunter on 22 March 1930. The Architects of the current Church were G.D. Garvin and C Eathorne. A stuccoed brick church of 1930, which is quite idiosyncratic in detail and gains its distinctive character from the eclectic and not entirely felicitous low relief cement decoration.

Read More

Bentleigh, VIC - St Raphael, Nicholas & Irene Greek Orthodox

Bentleigh, VIC - St Raphael, Nicholas & Irene Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1928

Address: 531 Centre Road, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 June 1928.

Read More

Bexley, NSW - Uniting

Bexley, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: 25 Gladstone Street, , Bexley New South Wales, 2207

There are two foundation stones laid at the Church. One was by Reverend H Wheen on 3 October 1925 and the second by T. A Johnston Esq also on 3 October 1925.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Bordertown, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1930

Address: Corner Smith & Patterson Streets, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

The beginnings of the church fall to the Hausler family who moved into the district in 1930. With no Lutheran church to speak of they encouraged the Victorian district of the UELCA to conduct services on a regular basis. Pastor E Sprengel of Mt Gambier conducted the first three services in the Hauser home which was located about 8 miles…

Read More

Bowral, NSW - Uniting

Bowral, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Bendooley Street, , Bowral New South Wales, 2576

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by Mrs E. Boardman 29th August 1925". A further Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by Mrs A. Morris Yates 29th August 1925".

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - Baptist

Box Hill, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1926

Address: Corner Ellingworth & Station Street, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The Church was established in 1901. The Foundation stone was laid by R.A. Sutton Esq J.P. on 14 February 1926.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Box Hill, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1926

Address: Corner Dorking & Whitehorse Roads, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The Foundation stone was laid by the most Reverend D Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne on 11 July 1926.

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - Wesley Uniting

Box Hill, VIC - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Corner Oxford & Station Streets, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The first Wesleyan Methodist service was held in the Box Hill centre in the Barkly Hall, on 13th May 1883. Tenders were called for what is now known as Oxford Hall (formerly known as the The Methodist Church in Station Street and later The Station Street Church ) on 17th November 1885, and the foundation stone was laid on 11th February…

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Bridgewater, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 407 Mount Barker Road, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

Originally a Methodist Church. The foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1929 by Miss Carvosso.

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1926

Address: 1 Canterbury Road, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

A site at the corner of Stanhope Grove and Canterbury Road was contemplated initially. The current site was purchased at auction in 1912. The first service was conducted at 11am on Sunday 27 April 1913 when 29 people attended. At the 7pm service 55 people attended. Rev Brooksbanks conviend a public meeting in Adam's assembly hall…

Read More

Canterbury, VIC - Tongan Uniting

Canterbury, VIC - Tongan Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: 15A Balwyn Road, , Canterbury Victoria, 3126

In 1890, a Methodist Church was built on the site with funding supplied by local residents. The current church was built in 1928. The Architect was Louis Williams and the Builder was A Richardson. The walls are of clinker brick with bands of grilles in the brickwork to the gable ends. The steeply pitched roof is clad in glazed tiles…

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Carnegie, VIC - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1922

Address: 23 Wattle Avenue, , Carnegie Victoria, 3163

A Private dwelling. A Foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by A.W.F. Smith Esq Oct 1922".

Read More

Carnegie, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Carnegie, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1924

Address: 371 Neerim Road, , Carnegie Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Foundation stone of the Parish Church of St Peter's built for the worship of God and the teaching of the Catholic faith was laid by Harrington Clare Archbishop of Melbourne on Whitsun Eve A.D. 1924. Pasce Oves Meas. Louis R Williams Architect, R,J, Werner Builder".

Read More

Caulfield, VIC - Presbyterian

Caulfield, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1929

Address: 1 Neerim Road, , Caulfield Victoria, 3162

Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), Monday 13 August 1928, page 12, CHURCH NEWS. Efforts to organise a Presbyterian Church in Caulfield are meeting with success. The Sunday evening services are held in the Courtroom, Caulfield Town Hall, and are conducted by the Rev. A. Hardie. Tenders have been called for the building of a church…

Read More

Cheltenham, VIC - Charman Uniting

Cheltenham, VIC - Charman Uniting

Year Built: 1921

Address: 313 Charman Road, , Cheltenham Victoria, 3192

A Foundation stone on the original church reads, " This stone was laid by Mrs F. Woff for 56 years a member of the Cheltenham Methodist Church Oct 22 1921. W.H. Orchill Architect L.H. Buttersworth Contractor". A Foundation stone on the newer Hall reads, " Dedicated to the worship of God March 6th 1965 by Rev C.H. Gallagher M.A. B.D.…

Read More

Clarence Park, SA - Church of the Trinity Uniting

Clarence Park, SA - Church of the Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: 318 Goodwood Road, , Clarence Park South Australia, 5034

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1925 by Mrs Andrew Linn.

Read More

Cobargo, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Cobargo, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1923

Address: 5 Hoyer Street, , Cabargo New South Wales, 2550

A Foundation stone reads, " Christ Church This Foundation stone was laid 3rd March 1923 by Ven Archdeacon Dore Bryant B.D. G.E. Morris Rector. R.W. Thatcher Architect".

Read More

Coonalpyn, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Coonalpyn, SA - Redeemer Lutheran

Year Built: 1929

Address: Dent Street, , Coonalpyn South Australia, 5265

The first Lutheran's to arrive in this district were in 1929. The first services were held in the old Institute on the west side of the railway line. Moves were made in 1946 and by May 1952 construction had begun. The Builders of the church were Mr Kevin Rohrlach and Mr Peter White. Built of limestone which came from Mr Zanker's and Mr…

Read More

Coonalpyn, SA - Uniting

Coonalpyn, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1921

Address: Western Highway, , Coonalpyn South Australia, 5265

Formerly a Congregational church the foundation stone was laid on 21 February 1921 by the Mr G.E. Venning.

Read More

Croxton, VIC - Uniting

Croxton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 326 St Georges Road, , Thornbury Victoria, 3071

There are two foundation stones. One reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Rev H. Stiles Heath B.A. President Methodist Conference July 27th 1929. E.C. Perkins Pastor. C.A. Hiscox Designer, Rev F.J. Jennnings Supt Minister, W Carwright Builder". The second foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was…

Read More

Dalby, QLD - St John's Anglican

Dalby, QLD - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1922

Address: 153 Cunningham Street, , Dalby Queensland, 4405

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Honourable H.W.B. Forster of Lepe on 29 August 1922. St John's Church, Dalby is a brick church constructed in 1922-1923 to the design of Harry Marks and is the third church of this name on the site. The previous timber church, built in 1876, remained on the site in a modified form as part of a…

Read More

Dalby, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Dalby, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1921

Address: Cunningham Street, , Dalby Queensland, 4405

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1920 by the Most Reverend J. Duhig Archbishop of Brisbane. The Church was dedicated on 4 December 1921.

Read More

Darlington Point, NSW - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Darlington Point, NSW - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Year Built: 1925

Address: Hay Road, , Darlington Point New South Wales, 2027

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 November 1925 by the Right Reverend J.W. Dwyer Bishop of Wagga.

Read More

Darlington Point, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Darlington Point, NSW - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1923

Address: Carrington Street, , Darlington Point New South Wales, 2027

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1923 by Ernest Augustus Anderson Bishop of Riverena.

Read More

Derrinallum, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Derrinallum, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1922

Address: Main Street, , Derrinallum Victoria, 3325

The Foundation stone was laid on 17 December 1922 by most Reverend Dr Foley Bishop of Ballarat.

Read More

Dubbo, NSW - St Andrew's Chapel (Former Uniting)

Dubbo, NSW - St Andrew's Chapel (Former Uniting)

Year Built: 1926

Address: 72 Wingewarra Street, , Dubbo New South Wales, 2830

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Right Revd the Moderator General R. Scott - West D.D. 20th Oct 1926". The Church was sold in 2012. It is now a non-denominational Chapel for funeral and memorial services, after-funeral functions, weddings, and bereavement seminars.

Read More

East Camberwell, VIC - St Dominic's Catholic

East Camberwell, VIC - St Dominic's Catholic

Year Built: 1924

Address: 816 Riversdale Road, , East Camberwell Victoria, 3126

In 1924, the Dominican Fathers took possession of Sir John Higgins' residence (now the front section of the Priory) and the first Parish Mass was celebrated in the front parlour on March 16th that year. Twenty nine people were present. The Church is built of rock-faced basalt ashlar with fine French detailing done in sandstone. The…

Read More

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1929

Address: Warncliffe Road, , East Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

East Ivanhoe Anglican convened a meeting on 12 December 1929 in the home of Mr A Judd in Warnclifffe Road to form a committee to arrange for church services and Sunday school classes to be held in the new area. Land owned by Mt Bainbridge in Warncliffe Road was available for a church site and an assurance was given that, if the Diocese…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St Catherine's Greek Orthodox

East Malvern, VIC - St Catherine's Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1921

Address: 3 Epping Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Church was formerly the Peace Memorial Methodist Church. The Foundation stone was laid on 12 November 1921 by Reverend A.P. Bladen President of the Conference. Constructed of red brick with cement tracery, and built in 1921-2. Comprises a broad nave, aisle, chancel, vestries and imposing facade incorporating a deeply overhanging arch…

Read More

Epping Forrest, TAS - Unknown

Epping Forrest, TAS - Unknown

Year Built: 1924

Address: Midland Highway, , Epping Forrest Tasmania, 7211

A Foundation stone reads, "A.M.D.G. JD Foster 1924". The church is now in private hands.

Read More

Essendon, VIC - Church of Christ

Essendon, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1925

Address: 52 Buckley Street, , Essendon Victoria, 3040

The Foundation stone was laid in 1925. The architect was V.C. Cook and the builders was J.R. Wilkinson.

Read More

Finley, NSW - Holy Trinitiy Anglican

Finley, NSW - Holy Trinitiy Anglican

Year Built: 1925

Address: Corner Coree & Warrmatta Streets, , Finley New South Wales, 2713

Tenders were called by the Church of England for a brick building in March of 1925. The Finley Mail reported on 10 February that Mr Sheppard had been granted the contract to build the church. The Foundation stone was laid in 1925 by the Very Reverend Archdeacon Kitchen. The dedication service was held on Sunday 27 September at 3pm.…

Read More

Frankston, VIC - Presbyterian (former)

Frankston, VIC - Presbyterian (former)

Year Built: 1923

Address: 6 Davey Street, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

The Church was built in 1923 and the Sunday School was opened 10 yeas later. A former Presbyterian Church it was re located to High Street Frankston and later became an Uniting Church. The Frankston Standard Newspaper of June 1947 reported that a building fund had been set up for a new Manse. It was to be located at 4 Nolan Street…

Read More

Galong, NSW - Uniting

Galong, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1922

Address: McMahon Street, , Galong New South Wales, 2585

George Alfred Killick donated the land for the church to be built. His grandmother Hellen Bembrick Killick laid the foundation stone on 17 April 1922. On 17 April 2022, the Church celebrated 100 years of ministry.

Read More