Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1921 and 1940


Kadina, SA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Kadina, SA - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1936

Address: 19 Goyder Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The Church was built in 1936 to replace the earlier Church, now used as a hall. The Church is built from stone taken from the Mine Powerhouse and has the pews from the original church within its pseudo Gothic interior. The Foundation stone of this church was laid on 13 October 1936 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of…

Read More

Kaniva, VIC - Church of Christ

Kaniva, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1929

Address: 106 Commercial Street, Kaniva, Kaniva Victoria, 3419

The history of the Church goes back to 1885. Meetings were held in the homes of Bren Russell, Rossell, Sen, and Charles Crouch near Miram. Bro Bren Russell removed to Kaniva, and on the 14th of March 1889 a meeting was held in the home of Bro. W.H. Rich to consider the desirability of forming a church in Kaniva. Services were held in…

Read More

Kaniva, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Kaniva, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1930

Address: Roache Street, , Kaniva Victoria, 3419

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 December 1929 by Right Reverend Dr Folly Bishop of Ballarat.

Read More

Kapunda, SA - St Roses Catholic

Kapunda, SA - St Roses Catholic

Year Built: 1938

Address: Branson Crescent, , Kapunda South Australia, 5373

The Foundation stone was laid on 6 February 1938 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Katanning, WA - St Stephens Lutheran

Katanning, WA - St Stephens Lutheran

Year Built: 1926

Address: 19 Hassell Street, , Katanning Western Australia, 6317

The Foundation stone was laid on 31 January 1926. The Church was constructed by A Thompson.

Read More

Kensington, WA - Holy Family Catholic

Kensington, WA - Holy Family Catholic

Year Built: 1935

Address: Thelma Street, , Kensington Western Australia, 6151

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 March 1935.

Read More

Kensington, WA - Uniting

Kensington, WA - Uniting

Year Built: 1935

Address: Thelma Street, , Kensington Western Australia, 6151

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 March 1935.

Read More

Kew East, VIC - Uniting

Kew East, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1938

Address: 142 Normamby Road, , Kew East Victoria, 3102

The Church was originally called St Andrews but eventually known as the Finley McQueen Memorial Church. The early history of this Church was intensely bound up with the Revered Finlay McQueen and his family. In August, 1926, a block of land in Normanby Road adjoining another property was purchased for £350, by way of £10 deposit with…

Read More

Kew, VIC - Baptist

Kew, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1923

Address: 10 Highbury Grove, , Kew Victoria, 3101

The first church was wooden and erected in St John's Parade in 1854 and was enlarged in 1859. A brick church was later erected in Cotham Road in 1882 and was later named Newnham Hall after Reverend Newnham. In 1921 land was purchased in Highbury Grove at a cost of £602.00. Messer's E & F Ratten donated 6 feet of land beside this new…

Read More

Kingsford, NSW - St Therese Catholic

Kingsford, NSW - St Therese Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 45 Sutherland Road, , Kingsford New South Wales, 2032

The Foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1940 by the Most Reverend N. I. Gilroy D.D. Archbishop of Sydney.

Read More

Klemzig, SA - Uniting

Klemzig, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 85 Og Road, , Klemzig South Australia, 5087

A Foundation stone was laid on 6 July 1929 by L.D. Caris Esq. The Foundation stone for the Church Hall was laid on 10 December 1955 by C.J. Heading Esq.

Read More

Korumburra, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Korumburra, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1939

Address: 20 Guys Road, , Korumburra Victoria, 3950

The Foundation stone was laid on 10 December 1939 by the Most Reverend D Mannix Archbishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Korumburra, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Korumburra, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1927

Address: 3 Queens Street, , Korumburra Victoria, 3950

The foundation stone was laid on 26 March 1927 by the Right Rev G.H. Granswick D.D. Bishop of Gippsland. The Architect was Gawler and Drummond and the builder was A.J. Frongerud.

Read More

Kyabram, VIC - Wesley Evangelical Uniting

Kyabram, VIC - Wesley Evangelical Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: Corner Union & Unitt Streets, , Kyabram Victoria, 3620

The Methodist Church was the first to be established in the Kyabram District. Services were first held in the Trevaskis kitchen, then in a boundary rider's hut which had been moved from Wyuna to the selection of one of the Lancaster brothers. However, by 1876 there were four churches on the circuit. These were located at Lancaster, Cooma,…

Read More

Leeton, NSW - Uniting

Leeton, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1937

Address: Church Street, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

A Mr J.R. Lee first entered Leeton in 1912 with the express intention of setting up a Methodist Church on the town. Undeterred by the prediction on his arrival "that there was no room in Leeton for Methodism," he went ahead with a building scheme. The Home Mission Department agreed to advance an interest-free loan for the building, but…

Read More

Loxton, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Loxton, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1925

Address: 1B Falcon Ave,, , Loxton South Australia, 5031

The Church was first set up in 1897 by E.J.P. Kaesler before the town of Loxton was formally planned. It originally met for worship in the houses of John Drabsch of Loxton and A Stanitzki of Bookpurnong. In 1904, a stone church measuring 40ft x 20ft x 14ft (12.2m x 6.1m x 4.27m) at a cost of 180.00 having a seating capacity of 150 was…

Read More

Lutwyche, QLD - St Andrew's Anglican

Lutwyche, QLD - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1925

Address: 673 Lutwyche Road, , Lutwyche Queensland, 4030

Although St Andrew’s Church at Lutwyche in its present form dates from 1926, an Anglican church has stood on the site at 673 Lutwyche Road since 1866.. The Foundation stone was laid on 29 November 1925 by the Rector E.W. Osborn.

Read More

Mannum, SA - Lutheran

Mannum, SA - Lutheran

Year Built: 1935

Address: Cliff Street, , Mannum South Australia, 5238

There is a foundation stone laid on 25 August 1935. The hall was erected in 1960.

Read More

Mansfield, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Mansfield, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1937

Address: 54 Hunter Street, , Mansfield Victoria, 3722

The Architect was P.J. O'Connor and the builder was J.A. Sparks. The Church was blessed and opened by the Most Reverend D Mannix D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne on 19 December 1937.

Read More

Manuka, ACT - St Paul's Anglican

Manuka, ACT - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1938

Address: Corner Canberra Ave & Captain Cook Crescent, , Manuka Australian Capital Territory, 2603

Of Gothic design, revealing the influence of W B Griffin on his former partner, the architect J Burcham Clamp. A parishioner, W J Perry was the successful tenderer. The foundation stone was laid by The Governor-General, Lord Gowrie on 11 December 1938. Four bays of the nave were completed by July 1939 and dedicated on 6 August 1939 by…

Read More

Margate, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Margate, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1933

Address: Corner Channel Highway & Van Morey Road, , Margate Tasmania, 7054

The Foundation stone was laid on 9 July 1933 by D.B. Blackwood Archdeacon and the church was consecrated the following November.

Read More

McLaren Vale, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

McLaren Vale, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1934

Address: 6 Aldersey Street, , McLaren Vale South Australia, 5171

The present Lutheran congregation had its beginnings a few kilometres away at Willunga, in a railway cottage the home of the Constable family. Services were quarterly with the first happening on 10 June 1934. The adhoc nature of services continued up to and including the duration of WW2 as did the support of visiting Pastors. A block…

Read More

Minlaton, SA - Baptist (former)

Minlaton, SA - Baptist (former)

Year Built: 1925

Address: First Street, , Minlaton South Australia, 5575

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 April 1925 by Miss M.E. Trehcarne. This church was sold in 2014.

Read More

Minlaton, SA - St Benedict the Abbot Anglican

Minlaton, SA - St Benedict the Abbot Anglican

Year Built: 1925

Address: Fourth Street, , Minlaton South Australia, 5575

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 April 1925 by Miss M.E. Trehcarne.

Read More

Morgan, SA - St Ursula's Catholic

Morgan, SA - St Ursula's Catholic

Year Built: 1926

Address: High Street, , Morgan South Australia, 5320

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 March 1926 by the Most Reverend Robert J. Spence D.D. Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Murrumbeena, VIC Uniting

Murrumbeena, VIC Uniting

Year Built: 1934

Address: 117 Murrumbeena Road, , Murrumbeena Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stne was laid by the Very Rev R.W. McLean M.A. on February 17th 1934. Rev A McDonald M.A. Minister. Lous R Williams FRAIA Architect ?? Crabe Builder".

Read More

Myrtleford, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Myrtleford, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1932

Address: Clyde Street, , Myrtleford Victoria, 3737

The Centenary of this parish was held in 1972 but the present brick church dates only from 1932. A red brick Gothic Louis William's creation, it has a familiar and distinctive revival atmosphere.

Read More

Naracoorte, SA - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Naracoorte, SA - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Year Built: 1937

Address: Gordon Street, , Naracoorte South Australia, 5271

The Foundation stone was laid on 7 March 1937 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Newport, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Newport, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1926

Address: 61 Mason Street, , Victoria, 3015

The Foundation stone was laid on 4 December 1926 by the Archbishop of Melbourne. The Architects were Sale and Keage. The 'Diggers' Club' of Christ Church Newport, conducted an Anzac Day service in the Parish Hall on 25 April 1920. The collection was devoted entirely to the church's memorial window fund. In 2014 the bell tower of the…

Read More

North Albury, NSW - All Saints Anglican

North Albury, NSW - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1933

Address: 412 Bellevue Street, , North Albury New South Wales, 2640

Utilitarian style with combination of Georgian and Art Deco influence (Joustra, 1997). The building is a brick structure with a main hall section and a verandah, enclosed by three arches, on the northern side. The main material is red brick with white concrete trim around the windows, doors and arches. The exterior of the building is in…

Read More

North Geelong, VIC - St John the Evangelist Catholic

North Geelong, VIC - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Year Built: 1935

Address: 19 St David Street, , North Geelong Victoria, 3215

The Church was opened on 15 December 1935 by his Grace the most Reverend Daniel Mannix Archbishop of Melbourne.

Read More

Northcote, VIC - St Cyril & Methody Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox

Northcote, VIC - St Cyril & Methody Bulgarian Eastern Orthodox

Year Built: 1927

Address: 3 Bayview Street, , Northcote Victoria, 3070

The Church of the Epiphany was opened in April 1927. The church was designed by Louis R. William, one of Melbourne's leading church architects. C.A. Winwood was the builder. The estimated cost was 10,000. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 December 1926 by the Most Reverend Harrington Clare Lees D.D Archbishop of Melbourne. In 1966…

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - Uniting

Nuriootpa, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1936

Address: 54 Murray Street, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

Formerly a Methodist Church the foundation stone was laid 21 June 1936 by Sir Edward Lucas K.B. The church was called the Coulthard Memorial Church after William Coulthard who laid out the town of Nuriootpa.

Read More

Oaklands Park, SA - Uniting

Oaklands Park, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1934

Address: 93 Oaklands Rd , , Warradale South Australia, 5046

Formerly a Methodist church. When the Methodists ceased their activities the Presbyterians moved in. The cost of the building including the church hall social room and porch was £650. The land was purchased for £250. The first service was held on December 5 1934 at 3pm. Mrs RB Smith was the first pianist.

Read More

Olinda, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Olinda, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1935

Address: 17 Monash Avenue, , Olinda Victoria, 3788

In 1903 St Matthews Church of England was erected on this site by a small but determined congregation of Olinda Pioneers. Dedication of the church was celebrated by Archdeacon A.W. Handley on 9 July 1903. Early services were conducted by Lay Reader W.R. Newton. Reverend Newton after his ordination in 1904 continued to travel from Clergy…

Read More

Orford, TAS - St Michael and All Angels Church (Former)

Orford, TAS - St Michael and All Angels Church (Former)

Year Built: 1927

Address: 30 Charles Street, , Orford Tasmania, 7190

A tiny wooden building served as the Orford Church for many years. Originally the timekeepers office at the Okehampton quarry for many years ntil it closed. The structure was taken intact to Crabtree Quarries, two miles south of Orford. The services were held there for some years. In 1883 the building was positioned just behind the…

Read More

Ormond, VIC - Uniting

Ormond, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1939

Address: Corner North & Booran Roads, , Ormond Victoria, 3204

The Foundation stone was laid on 18 November 1939 by the Right Reverend John Flynn OBE Moderator General. The Architect was Louis R. Williams and the builder was Norman A. Taylor.

Read More

Perth, WA - St John's Lutheran

Perth, WA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1936

Address: 16 Aberdeen Street, , Perth Western Australia, 6000

In 1936, a church large enough to seat 100 people was erected. The exterior stone came from Darlington in the Perth hills.

Read More

Pinnaroo, SA - All Saint's Anglican (Former)

Pinnaroo, SA - All Saint's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1925

Address: Railway Terrace, , Pinnaroo South Australia, 5304

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 August 1925. As of 2011 the Anglican's use the Uniting Church building. The Church is now closed.

Read More

Pinnaroo, SA - Uniting

Pinnaroo, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Railway Terrace, , Pinnaroo South Australia, 5304

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 August 1925.

Read More