Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1921 and 1940


Plympton, SA - Church of the Good Shepherd Anglican

Plympton, SA - Church of the Good Shepherd Anglican

Year Built: 1925

Address: Clayton Avenue, , Plympton South Australia, 5038

The Foundation stone was laid on 24 October 1925 by the Very Reverend Archdeacon Bussell.

Read More

Pontville, TAS - St Matthew's Catholic

Pontville, TAS - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1928

Address: Midland Highway, , Pontville Tasmania, 7030

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 August 1928 by the Most Reverend W. Barry D.D. The previous church built in 1866 was destroyed by fire.

Read More

Purnim, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Purnim, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Year Built: 1940

Address: 1716 Hopkins Highway, , Purnim Victoria, 3278

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 May 1940 by the most Reverend D. Foley D.D. Bishop of Ballarat.

Read More

Richmond, VIC - St George's Uniting

Richmond, VIC - St George's Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: 271 Burnley Street, , Richmond Victoria, 3121

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by Alexander Smith Esq an Elder of this Church, August 29th 1925. Rev R.A. Green B.A. Minister. Builders Pittard and Sons. Architect H.A. Norris Esq".

Read More

Romsey, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Romsey, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1924

Address: Main Street, , Romsey Victoria, 3434

The first services in the Romsey district were conducted by Father Michael Brannigan in early 1860 in the house of Owen Doolan. A weatherboard church was built in 1868 and demolished in 1967. A new church in the Gothic style and built of brick with a tiled roof was erected in 1924. The Foundation stone was laid on 7 September 1924 by the…

Read More

Sandringham, VIC - Uniting

Sandringham, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1929

Address: 21 Trentham Road, , Sandringham Victoria, 3191

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Mrs F.W. Francis on 2nd March 1929. Rev John Smiley B.A. Minister, J.F.D. Scarborough Architect".

Read More

Seacliff, SA - Uniting

Seacliff, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: 7 Wheatland Street, , Seacliff South Australia, 5049

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 February 1928 by S.W. Bailey Esq. The Memorial Hall was erected in 1956 and that foundation stone was laid by Mrs E.A. Story.

Read More

Seymour, VIC - Uniting

Seymour, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Crawford Road, , Seymour Victoria, 3661

The Foundation stone of the current church was laid by the Reverend A. McCullum D.D. on 29 November 1924.The architects were Erowing, Bladden and Dare. The builder were Knight's and Son's.

Read More

Sheffield, TAS - Baptist

Sheffield, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1930

Address: 102 Main Street, , Sheffield Tasmania, 7306

Two foundation stones reads, " This stone was laid by the Rev V.G. Britton as a memorial to the late William Gibson who on this site built the Tabernacle in 1891 which was destroyed by fire March 23rd 1930". The other stone reads, " This stone was laid by John Soundy Esq, M.H.A. October 11th 1930".

Read More

Sheffield, TAS - Holy Cross Catholic

Sheffield, TAS - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1921

Address: 42 High Street, , Sheffield Tasmania, 7306

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was blessed and laid by the Most Rev Archbishop William Barry on November 13th 1921 DEO Grattas".

Read More

Sheffield, TAS - Uniting

Sheffield, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1937

Address: 77 Main Street, , Sheffiled Tasmania, 7306

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Sir Walter Lee K.C.M.C. on the 6th of February 1937 Rev F.R. Woolhouse L.th Minister".

Read More

Shepparton, VIC - St Augustine's Anglican

Shepparton, VIC - St Augustine's Anglican

Year Built: 1926

Address: 95 Maude Street, , Shepparton Victoria, 3630

The first Anglican service in Shepparton was conducted by Archdeacon Tucker in 1875 in Mr. A. F. Rowe's dining room at his premises situated near the banks of the Goulburn adjacent to the old Port of Shepparton. Canon W. L C. Howard of Beechworth had the oversight of the Shepparton Districts until 1879. In the previous year, Mr J.D.…

Read More

Smithton, TAS - Protestant

Smithton, TAS - Protestant

Year Built: 1940

Address: 36 King Street, , Smithton Tasmania, 7330

The Church was built in 1940 and constructed of concrete block on approx 800m square. The property was sold in 2017.

Read More

Snowtown, SA - St Canices Catholic

Snowtown, SA - St Canices Catholic

Year Built: 1935

Address: Corner High Street West & Railway Parade, , Snowtown South Australia, 5520

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 August 1935 by the Most Reverend Andrew Killian D.D. Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

South Camberwell, VIC - Anglican

South Camberwell, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1930

Address: Corner Toorak & Park Roads, , South Camberwell Victoria,

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 June 1930 by F.J. Cato Esq.

Read More

St Helens, TAS - St Helena and St Stanislaus Catholic

St Helens, TAS - St Helena and St Stanislaus Catholic

Year Built: 1921

Address: 69 Cecillia Street, , St Helens Tasmania, 7216

Father Martial Mary went to live at St. Helens (George's Bay) in 1878. He built a small timber church and presbytery. One of the most prominent Catholics at St. Helens at the turn of the century was Thomas Haley, "Manager for Messrs. Thureau's Deep Lead Tin Mining Company, the Carson De Bells Wolfram Company, and the New Zealand Fire…

Read More

Stanley, TAS - Star of the Sea Catholic

Stanley, TAS - Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1932

Address: 8 Marshall Street, , Stanley Tasmania, 7331

Father Peter Adlum, whose pastorate at Stanley spanned the years 1929 to 1932, built the third church at Stanley. Archbishop Hayden blessed the foundation stone on November 9, 1930. The new Star of the Sea Church was consecrated by Father Denis Murphy, administrator of the Diocese, on March 15, 1931. He had "never seen a country church so…

Read More

Subiaco, WA - St Joseph's Catholic

Subiaco, WA - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1933

Address: 1 Salvador Road, , Subiaco Western Australia, 6008

The Foundation stone was laid on 5 November 1933 by his Grace Archbishop Clune D.D. The Architect was E Henderson and the builder was C.W. Arnott.

Read More

Subiaco, WA - St Matthew's Anglican

Subiaco, WA - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1932

Address: Corner Derby Road & Onslow Street, , Subiaco Western Australia, 6008

Formerly a Methodist Church the foundation stone was laid on 7 May 1932 by Rev Milton Malek President of the Methodist Conference. The Architects were Powell, Cameron and Chisholm.

Read More

Sunshine, VIC - Presbyterian

Sunshine, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1926

Address: 120 Anderson Road, , Sunshine Victoria, 3020

Of traditional English design a foundation stone reads, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by H.V. McKay Esq GBL FRGS 15th May 1926. ?? Robinson Architect".

Read More

Sutton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Sutton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1925

Address: Camp Street, , Sutton New South Wales, 2620

The Foundation stone was laid in September 1925 by Reverend A.H. Champion.

Read More

Swansea, TAS - Our Lady of Perpetural Succour Catholic

Swansea, TAS - Our Lady of Perpetural Succour Catholic

Year Built: 1931

Address: 21 Victoria Street, , Swansea Tasmania, 710

Bishop Willson applied for a Government grant of four acres for a Catholic Church in December 1855 but he had to do with two acres. His letters were ignored however in 1864 nine years later he again applied and referred to his previous letters of July 13 and August 17 1855 and December 19 1860. This time the Governor General approved…

Read More

Tailem Bend, SA - St Columbkille Catholic

Tailem Bend, SA - St Columbkille Catholic

Year Built: 1924

Address: 2 Station Drive, , Tailem Bend South Australia, 5259

The Foundation stone was laid on 24 February 1924 by the Right Reverend Monsignor P. Hurley P.P. V.G.

Read More

Tailem Bend, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Tailem Bend, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1926

Address: North Terrace, , Tailem Bend South Australia, 5259

The Foundation stone was laid by Archdeacon Bussell on 8 August 1926.

Read More

Tarago, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Tarago, NSW - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1931

Address: Braidwood Road, , Tarago New South Wales, 2580

The Church was built in 1931.

Read More

Tarcutta, NSW - St Columbus Presbyterian

Tarcutta, NSW - St Columbus Presbyterian

Year Built: 1932

Address: Argent Street, Tarcutta, New South Wales, 2652

The Foundation stone was laid on 20 February 1932 by Mrs S.S. Whitehead.

Read More

Temora, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Temora, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1930

Address: DeBoos Street, , Temora New South Wales, 2666

The first church of 1881 was the current church hall. The Foundation stone was laid on 11 June 1930 by the Right Reverend C.A. White B.A. Moderator Presbyterian Church in NSW. The Presbyterian Hall was originally the church. It was built in 1881 and dedicated in 1882.

Read More

Towrang, NSW - St John's Anglican (Former)

Towrang, NSW - St John's Anglican (Former)

Year Built: 1928

Address: 492 Towrang Road, , Towrang New South Wales, 2580

Read More

Trafalgar, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Trafalgar, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1926

Address: Corner Church & Contingent Streets, , Trafalgar Victoria, 3824

The first St Mary's Church was opened in 1883 and it was replaced by a second St Mary's in 1906 and a third St Mary's in 1926. The Foundation stone of the third church was laid on 8 June 1926 by the Right Reverend C.H. Cranswick Bishop of Gippsland. Architects were Cawler and Drummond and the church was built by C Ball.

Read More

Truro, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Truro, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1937

Address: Sturt Highway, , Truro South Australia, 5356

The congregation had its beginning when on Wednesday evening, 20th January, 1937, at a special meeting in the home of Bro. and Mrs. Ben Ruediger, a resolution was passed, to have Lutheran services in Truro. The services to be conducted fortnightly in the afternoon at 3 p.m., preceded by Sunday School beginning at 2 o'clock. The first…

Read More

Unley, SA - St Augustines Anglican

Unley, SA - St Augustines Anglican

Year Built: 1922

Address: 183 Unley Road, , Unley South Australia, 5061

The Foundation stone was laid by the Govenor General George Murray in 1922. The Church is an example of Gothic Revival Church architecture. Of special note is the fine collection of stained glass windows executed by the important firms of Morris and Company and their successor Dearle. The altar window is one of the major Morris and…

Read More

Wentworthville, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Wentworthville, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1923

Address: 7 McKern Street, , Wentworthville New South Wales , 2145

The Church was originally located in Parramatta, but by the 1920s it was too small to accommodate Parramatta’s growing congregation. In 1925, after the new church was built, demolition work began on the old church. It was believed that the old church would be completley demolished, until Presbyterians in Wentworthville, in need of a…

Read More

West Heidelberg, VIC - Uniting

West Heidelberg, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1925

Address: Corner St Hellier & Edwin Streets, , West Heidelberg Victoria,

The original church building was built in 1925.

Read More

Williams, WA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Williams, WA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1925

Address: 14 Adam Street, , Williams Western Australia, 6391

The Church houses the House of Grace from the original church. Parishioners carted the better bricks from the original site and these were included in the new church. After the order of St Boniface was closed in 1929 the parish was taken over by Rev Frank Mann.

Read More

Yea, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Yea, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1922

Address: Melba Highway, , Yea Victoria, 3717

The Founbdation stone was laid by the Right Reverend the Moderator of Victoria Reverend F. Patton M.A. B.D. on 16 December 1922.

Read More