Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1941 and 1960


Anglesea, VIC - Anglican

Anglesea, VIC - Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 2 Camp Road, , Anglesea Victoria, 3230

The Church was opening on 19 May 1957.

Read More

Applecross, WA - St David's Anglican

Applecross, WA - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 54 Simpson Street, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

The Foundation Stone was laid on 12 May 1957 by his Grace the Archbishop of Perth The Most Reverend R.W.H. Moline MC DD.

Read More

Applecross, WA - St Stephen's Uniting

Applecross, WA - St Stephen's Uniting

Year Built: 1955

Address: 2 McKenzie Road, , Applecross Western Australia, 6153

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 December 1955 by the Reverend F.C. Norman Inwood. The site of the present church was first developed in the early 1950s and the original building is now the church hall.

Read More

Ararat, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Ararat, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: Corner King Street & Ararat Pomonal Road, , Ararat Victoria, 3377

Formerly a Presbyterian Church that was first considered at a meeting on 16 June 1858 with Mr Robert Allan, being the first Secretary. On 10 September 1858 the first service was held under the leadership of Dr Cairns.* On 10 February 1859 the Church was opened under the stewardship of Rev William MackIntosh. The debt for the church and…

Read More

Ashgrove, QLD - St Finbarr's Catholic

Ashgrove, QLD - St Finbarr's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: 202 Waterworks Road, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 September 1955 by the Most Reverend J. Duhig Archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1953

Address: Corner Hotham & Denman Streets, , Balaclava North Victoria, 3183

In 1912, in order to ascertain to what extent the people of the district were desirous of having a Church in their midst, a house to house canvass was made by Rev. C. Stuart Ross, with the result that he was able to make a most encouraging and satisfactory report.* At this stage, Mr. John Maclellan, a member of the Board of Management…

Read More

Balwyn North, VIC - Uniting

Balwyn North, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: Corner Belmore & Winfield Road, , Balwyn North Victoria, 3104

The vision for a church occurred in 1950 with the land being purchased on 27 July 1951. A portable building was erected on the site on 17 February 1952. The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend H. Slarnette President of the Conference 12 July 1953. The three bay church hall was opened in 1954. Additions to the Church were completed in…

Read More

Beaudesert, QLD - Baptist

Beaudesert, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1949

Address: 13 Eaglesfield Street, , Beaudesert Queensland, 4285

The Foundation of one of the churches was laid on 8 October 1949 by Mr G.C. Sweetman President of the Queensland Baptist Union.

Read More

Berrigan, NSW - Uniting

Berrigan, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1952

Address: Corner Chanter & Drummond Streets, , Berrigan New South Wales, 2712

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend F.H. Rayward O.B.E D.D. President of the NSW Conference on 15 November 1952.

Read More

Berrybank, VIC - Uniting

Berrybank, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: Foxhow Road, , Berrybank Victoria, 3323

The former church was destroyed by fire on 14 January 1944. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 21 April 1954 by William M Clark. The Architect was Keith Reid while the builder was A McHolson.

Read More

Berwick, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Berwick, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Address: 125 High Street, , Berwick Victoria, 3806

St. Michael's Parish was established in 1956, having previously been part of the parish of Dandenong. In 1956 it became part of the Diocese of Sale. The current Church was opened on 29 April 1984 and was blessed by the Bishop of Sale Eric D'Arcy.

Read More

Birdwood, SA - Uniting

Birdwood, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: Main Street, , Birdwood South Australia, 2446

The Foundation stone was laid on 1 December 1956 by Mr E.T. Pflaum.

Read More

Blackburn, VIC - The Avenue Uniting

Blackburn, VIC - The Avenue Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: Corner The Avenue & Blackburn Road, , Blackburn Victoria, 3130

The first Presbyterian Church was erected in 1926. The foundation stone of the current Church was laid on 19 April 1959 by the Right Reverend N. Faichney B.A. Moderator of the Assembly. The church is made of typical house bricks. The opening Service was held on 21 February 1961.

Read More

Blackmans Bays, TAS - St Pius X Catholic

Blackmans Bays, TAS - St Pius X Catholic

Year Built: 1957

Address: 98 Chennel Highway, , Blackmans Bay Tasmania, 7052

The Church was designed by the well known Tasmanian architect J.H.E. Dorney and constructed in 1957.

Read More

Borden, WA - St David's Anglican

Borden, WA - St David's Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: Chester Pass Road, , Borden Western Australia, 6338

The Foundation stone was laid in the presence of the Bishop of the Diocese by Mrs Mavis Milne on 15 May 1959. Rector OA Wall??

Read More

Broadford, VIC - Uniting

Broadford, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: High Street, , Broadford Victoria, 3658

Originally a Methodist church, the Broadford Uniting Church is located next to the Library. Construction of the current building commenced in November of 1956, and the Foundation stone was laid by the President of the Conference, the Rev. Norman Lade MA, BD on 16 February 1957. The dedication of the church took place in September 1957.

Read More

Camberwell, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Camberwell, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Toorak & Bowen Street, , Camberwell Victoria, 3124

The Foundation stone for the current church was laid on 2 November 1957 by Reverend CRC Tidmarsh. The Architect was Loius Williams and the builder was CA Johnson.

Read More

Chelsea, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Chelsea, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1941

Address: 362 Station Street, , Chelsea Victoira, 3196

St Joseph's was attached to Mentone until 1927 when Frankston was made a parish. The first church was erected in 1914 and later badly burnt in 1965. The current church was opened on 5 Januaury 1941 with a cost of £10,500. The Architect was Mr Cyril Kelly and the Builder was Mr W.J. Kelly.

Read More

Clare, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Clare, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1947

Address: 5 Sabine Street, , Clare South Australia, 5453

On January 1, 1947 members of the UECLA living in the Clare district met in the home of Mr W.B. Wundke to discuss the formation of a Lutheran Church in Clare A building committee was formed in 1948 and plans for the church were already prepared by August of that year. The first sod was turned on 31 May 1951 with the Foundation stone being…

Read More

Claremont, TAS - St Bernard's Catholic

Claremont, TAS - St Bernard's Catholic

Year Built: 1958

Address: 27 Wyndham Road, , Claremont Tasmania, 7011

The Church was officially blessed by Archbishop Guilford Young and opened on 20th April 1958.

Read More

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Anthony's of Padua Catholic

Clarence Gardens, SA - St Anthony's of Padua Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: Castle Street, , Clarence Gardens South Australia, 5039

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 May 1959 by the Most Reverend M. Beovich D.D. Phd.

Read More

Colac, VIC - Baptist

Colac, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1958

Address: Corner Dennis & Hessie Streets, Colac, Victoria, 3250

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 February 1958.

Read More

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Uniting

Colonel Light Gardens, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 560 Goodwood Road, , Colonel Light Gardens South Australia, 5041

The land was bought for $1,211.00 (£25.00) and other than the names of the trustees, little is known of the first seventy five years. The old Church was built in 1854, and is one of the oldest suburban Churches in the State. When the section of ground opposite was purchased by the Government and sub divided into residential blocks and…

Read More

Cowra, NSW - St John's Anglican

Cowra, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1955

Address: 98 Kendall Street, , Cowra New South Wales, 2794

The foundation stone was laid on 29 October 1955 by his Excellency the Governor of NSW Lieutenant General Sir John Northcott KC MC.

Read More

Cranbourne, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Cranbourne, VIC - Scot's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1951

Address: Corner Sladen & Russell Streets, , Cranbourne Victoria, 3977

The Church was built in 1951.

Read More

Croydon Park, SA - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Croydon Park, SA - St Margaret Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: 286 Torrens Road, , Croydon Park South Australia, 5008

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1959 by Mrs J.H. Stunell.

Read More

Croydon Park, SA - Uniting

Croydon Park, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: 310 Torrens Road, , Croydon Park South Australia, 5008

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1959 by Mrs J.H. Stunell.

Read More

Cygnet, TAS - Uniting

Cygnet, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1951

Address: 41 Mary Street, , Cygnet Tasmania, 7112

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid on 15 December 1951 by the Reverend A.W.R. Milligan Chairman of the Methodist Assembly Tasmania.

Read More

Devonport, TAS - Church of Christ

Devonport, TAS - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1952

Address: 113 William Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

In 1872 the church moved from Northdown to Latrobe a town of some importance during this era. Early in 1879 W. Moffit visited New Ground near Moriarty a populous agricultural district. He shared the gospel message and in a short time a gathering of people became Christians and were baptized. A Church of Christ was established in 1880 and…

Read More

Devonport, TAS - St Columba Presbyterian

Devonport, TAS - St Columba Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: 13 Edward Street, , Devonport Tasmania, 7310

The first Presbyterian church in Devonport briefly used the Congregational Church and then the Devonport Town Hall. A Foundation stone was laid on 16 December 1956, for a new church, was officially laid by Rev. F.J. Scrimgeour, on a site adjacent to the earlier building, The church was officially opened and dedicated, as St Columba’s,…

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - Church of Christ

Doncaster, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1956

Address: Doncaster Road, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The first service was held in the home of Thomas Porter senr on Sunday August 30 1863. In addition to the meetings at the Porter home, gospel services were held in the Chapel owned by the Baptists who had discontinued meetings. The Church commenced in 1863 and by 1864 a small weatherboard chapel was built on the present site. In 1889 a…

Read More

Double Bay, NSW - St Columbia Uniting

Double Bay, NSW - St Columbia Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 53 Ocean Street, , Double Bay New South Wales, 2028

The foundation stone was laid by Reverend E Pollard B.A. B.D on 28 August 1960.

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - All Saint's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - All Saint's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Olive & Darling Road, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 February 1960 by the Most Reverend Frank Woods D.D. M.A. The Architect was Louis Williams.

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - Uniting

East Malvern, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: Serrell Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

One foundation stone was laid on 29 March 1958 by the Reverend G.B. Campbell.

Read More

Edenhope, VIC - St Mark's Uniting

Edenhope, VIC - St Mark's Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Elizabeth & Wallace Streets, , Edenhope Victoria, 3318

The first church was built in 1872 behind the present day church. Todays church was built in the early 1960's and opened in 1962. The foundation stone was laid on 14 October 1962.

Read More

Esperence, WA - St John's Lutheran

Esperence, WA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: 15 Backland Street, , Esperence Western Australia, 6450

The Church was opened in 1958. The Lutheran presence was first established in the Esperance region when South Australian farmers Walter and Grace Schultz took up land on Bows Road in Gibson in 1958.

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Forbes, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: Rankin Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

The first services in the Forbes area were held at Bareenong. In 1931 it was canvassed to move services to Forbes. The first services were held in the CWA Hall. The foundation stone was laid on 5 August 1934 vy Pastor W Lehmann.

Read More

Frankston, VIC - Uniting

Frankston, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: High Street, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

A Presbyterian Church service was first held in 1916 in an open space beside the then Mechanics Institute. The new Presbyterian congregation was at once attached to the congregations which had already been worshipping for many years at Somerville and at Baxter, then known as Mornington Junction. Two new congregations, at Seaford and…

Read More

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 101 Macquarie Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

A Foundation stone reads," To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Right Reverend Allan Martin Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Tasmania 22nd June 1958".

Read More

Gisborne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Gisborne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1951

Address: Corner Fisher & Brantome Streets, , Gisborne Victoria, 3437

Founded in 1855. A foundation stone was laid on 21 October 1951 by his Honour Leut General Sir E. F. Herring Chief Justice of Victoria. The Foundation stone has a stone from Canterbury Cathedral inlaid into it. The last service in the old Church was held on 7 February 1949 and they continued in the Masonic Hall until the new Church was…

Read More