Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1941 and 1960


Edenhope, VIC - St Mark's Uniting

Edenhope, VIC - St Mark's Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Elizabeth & Wallace Streets, , Edenhope Victoria, 3318

The first church was built in 1872 behind the present day church. Todays church was built in the early 1960's and opened in 1962. The foundation stone was laid on 14 October 1962.

Read More

Esperence, WA - St John's Lutheran

Esperence, WA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: 15 Backland Street, , Esperence Western Australia, 6450

The Church was opened in 1958. The Lutheran presence was first established in the Esperance region when South Australian farmers Walter and Grace Schultz took up land on Bows Road in Gibson in 1958.

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Forbes, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: Rankin Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

The first services in the Forbes area were held at Bareenong. In 1931 it was canvassed to move services to Forbes. The first services were held in the CWA Hall. The foundation stone was laid on 5 August 1934 vy Pastor W Lehmann.

Read More

Forest Hill, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Forest Hill, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 303 Canterbury Road, , Forest Hill Victoria, 3131

In 1955 a request for services to be held at Forest Hill were instigated and the Sunday School began on 6th November. On the 11th of March 1956 the first church service was held and named St Mark the Evangelist. By September 1957 a building plan was approved by the Diocese. In 1961 the Rev. Stephen Cherry, assistant curate in St…

Read More

Frankston, VIC - Uniting

Frankston, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: High Street, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

A Presbyterian Church service was first held in 1916 in an open space beside the then Mechanics Institute. The new Presbyterian congregation was at once attached to the congregations which had already been worshipping for many years at Somerville and at Baxter, then known as Mornington Junction. Two new congregations, at Seaford and…

Read More

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 101 Macquarie Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

A Foundation stone reads," To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Right Reverend Allan Martin Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Tasmania 22nd June 1958".

Read More

Gisborne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Gisborne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1951

Address: Corner Fisher & Brantome Streets, , Gisborne Victoria, 3437

Founded in 1855. A foundation stone was laid on 21 October 1951 by his Honour Leut General Sir E. F. Herring Chief Justice of Victoria. The Foundation stone has a stone from Canterbury Cathedral inlaid into it. The last service in the old Church was held on 7 February 1949 and they continued in the Masonic Hall until the new Church was…

Read More

Greenock, SA - Uniting

Greenock, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: 6 Kapunda Road, , Greenock South Australia, 5360

Formerly a Methodist church, the Foundation stone was laid on 19 September 1954 by D.. Branson Esq.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - St Alban the Martyr Anglican

Griffith, NSW - St Alban the Martyr Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: Corner Anzac & Binya Streets, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 May 1954 by the Most Reverend H.G. Robinson Bishop of Riverena.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - Uniting

Griffith, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: Beal Street, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 June 1957 by the Right Reverend E.H. Vines.

Read More

Hagley, TAS - Uniting

Hagley, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: 75 Meander Road, , Hagley Tasmania, 7292

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Reverend C.L. Turner B.A. Superintendent Minister 6th April 1957".

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St George's Greek Orthodox

Hobart, TAS - St George's Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1957

Address: 5 Antill Street, , Hobart South Tasmania, 7004

A Foundation stone reads, " The Foundation stone of this Greek Orthodox Church was laid by The Honourable Consul for Greece T.T. Rogers O.B.E. J.P. on 25. 3. 1957".

Read More

Horsham, VIC - St John the Divine Anglican

Horsham, VIC - St John the Divine Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Baillie Street, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

The first resident Priest was the Rev J.M. Watson who began his services in the Mechanics Institute.Within a year of his arrival a vicarage was built and ready for occupation in February 1877. The original St Johns was opened and dedicated on April 29 1877 by Bishop Samuel Thornton of the newly established Ballarat Diocese. The…

Read More

Invermay, TAS - St Finn Barr's Catholic

Invermay, TAS - St Finn Barr's Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 122 Invermay Road, , Invermay Tasmania, 7248

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was blessed and laid by his race the Most Rev E.V. Tweedy D.D. Archbishop of Hobart on 14th February 1954 W.T. Ryan Parish Priest". A second stone on a brick post reads, " These status were erected by parishioners of St Finn Barrs parish to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of the Parish Priest…

Read More

Ipswich, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Ipswich, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Nicholas & Roderwick Streets, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305

The first public gathering of Lutherans in the District was held on Reformation day 1858 in the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. The land on which the church currently stands was granted to the Lutherans on 17 November 1862. A small brick church was erected and dedicated 26 June 1864. The current church was erected in 1960 and dedicated on…

Read More

Ipswich, QLD - Uniting

Ipswich, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 27 Ellenborough Street, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305

Read More

Jimboomba, QLD - Baptist

Jimboomba, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1949

Address: 23 East Street, , Jimboomba Queensland, 4280

Read More

Jimboomba, QLD - Uniting

Jimboomba, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1949

Address: Bell Street, , Jimboomba Queensland, 4280

Read More

Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Ewing Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The first service was held in the home of Mr F Fiedler and conducted by Pastor J Sabel in 1933. Later that year a congregation was formed. Services were moved to the Protestant Hall in 1945. This hall was later purchased renovated and dedicated on 23 September 1956. This building was not sufficient and it was decided in 1959 a proposal…

Read More

Katamatite, VIC Uniting

Katamatite, VIC Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 34 Moore Street, , Katamatite Victoria, 3649

The Katamatite church is representative of a remarkable period of architectural experimentation during the postwar years, wherein new materials and technologies provided architects with cheaper means and mechanisms of construction. Designed by Architects architectural practice Muir and Shepherd. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory…

Read More

Keith, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Keith, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Poplar Street, , Keith South Australia, 5267

The first Lutheran's recorded in the Keith area were that of J August Rohde's family in 1888. Between then and 1948 a visiting Pastor conducted services in the Keith area. Between then and the close of the Second World War there is no records of Lutheran activities in the Keith area. The first substantive service was held on 15 August…

Read More

Kempsey, NSW - Uniting

Kempsey, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1953

Address: 59 Tozer Street, , Kempsey New South Wales, 2440

Formerley a Methodist Church it was built in 1953, with the foundation stones laid by Frank O. Secomb and the Revd Wesley Tredinnick.

Read More

Kingston SE, SA - St Therese Catholic

Kingston SE, SA - St Therese Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: McDonnell Street, , Kingston SE South Australia, 5275

The original Foundation stone was laid on 1 March 1959 by the very Reverend J.W. Gleeson D.D. The current Church was dedicated on 19 December 2009 by the most Reverend Phillip Wilson D.D. J.C.L. Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Langwarrin, VIC - St Thomas's Anglican

Langwarrin, VIC - St Thomas's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Warrandyte & North Roads, , Langwarrin Victoria, 3910

The original church was a former World War 1 army hut. By 1960 it was decided to look at constructing a new church. A substantial donation by Nevil Shute Norway helped in the process. The Foundation stone was laid on 8 September 1963 by R.W. Dann B.A. The Architects were Wystan Widdows and David Caldwell. The church was built by John Wolt…

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Leeton, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1957

Address: Corner Cypress & Sycamore Streets, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 September 1957 by the Right Reverend E.H. Vines Moderator of the General Assembly of NSW.

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Leeton, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1955

Address: Wade Avenue, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

A brick church the design of which was by Architects S.J. O'Halloran. The builder was T.J. Ashton. The Foundation stone was laid on 1 May 1955 by the Most Reverend F.A. Henschke D.D.

Read More

Lismore, VIC - St John's Catholic

Lismore, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1950

Address: High Street, , Lismore Victoria, 3324

The Foundation stone was laid by W.H Johnson Bishop of Ballarat 18 August 1950.

Read More

Lorne, VIC - Our Lady Fatima Catholic

Lorne, VIC - Our Lady Fatima Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Address: Smith Street, , Lorne Victoria, 3232

The Foundation stone was laid by the Most Reverend J.P. O'Collins D.D. Bishop of Ballarat on 15 January 1956. The architect was Alan Robertson and the builder was P McBride.

Read More

Magill, SA - Pilgrim Lutheran

Magill, SA - Pilgrim Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: 32 Edward Street, , Magill South Australia, 5072

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 December 1953 by Pastor O.H. Adler.

Read More

Mannum, SA - Baptist

Mannum, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1956

Address: William Street, , Mannum South Australia, 5238

The Church is constructed of local stone. A foundation stone was laid on the rear addition to the church on 3 June 1956 by Pastor J Doehler.

Read More

Mannum, SA - Uniting

Mannum, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: Walker Avenue, , Mannum South Australia, 5238

Formerly a Methodist church. A Foundation stone was laid on 19 June 1954 by Rev G.S. Wellington President of the Conference.

Read More

Meningie, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Meningie, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1953

Address: Princes Highway, , Meningie South Australia, 5264

The Church was built in memory of Margaret H. Bowman (1953).

Read More

Meningie, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Meningie, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: West Terrace, , Meningie South Australia, 5264

Lutheran services in the area go back to 1931 when Pastor T.G. Obst held services in a private home in Narrung. Services were also held in Wood Well. By the 1950's services were held in the Anglican church by Pastor Leo Doecke. On 5 May 1957 it was decided at a meeting to form a separate ELCA congregation from that of the Tailem Bend…

Read More

Meningie, SA - Uniting

Meningie, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 2 Princes Highway, , Meningie South Australia, 5264

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 March 1958 by Herbert Bruce Hackett JP.

Read More

Mentone, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Mentone, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1958

Address: 10 Rogers Street, , Mentone Victoria, 3194

The Parish of Mentone was created in 1904, when the area encompassing Mentone, Parkdale, Cheltenham, Highett, Beaumaris, Sandringham, Mordialloc, Edithvale and Chelsea was cut off from the “Brighton Mission”, which was ministered by priests residing in the present Parish of St James Gardenvale. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone…

Read More

Minlaton, SA - St Andrew's Lutheran

Minlaton, SA - St Andrew's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: Maitland Road, , Minlaton South Australia, 5575

The first records of Lutheran services were recorded on the York Peninsula in the 1870's. In 1882 a Mr Johann Golthilf Bothe moved in to the area and built a Lutheran church on his property which was several miles north of the cemetery. Prior to this, services were held in several private homes including Schwarz's Farm. By March 19 1882…

Read More

Mitcham, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Mitcham, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 18 Edward Street, , Mitcham Victoria, 3132

Former Christ Church. The Church was created in 1888 and a timber church building was erected that year. In 1958 a new church was built on the adjacent site and the 1888 church was subsequently used as the parish hall. All Saints (former Christ Church) Anglican Church, was designed in 1958 by Raymond Berg, a modernist architect who…

Read More

Mitcham, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Mitcham, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1960

Address: 67 Rooks Road, , Mitcham Victoria, 3131

A Foundation stone reads, "The Glory of God 13 November 1960". The Chinese Evangelical Formosan Church share this building.

Read More

Mitcham, VIC St John's Catholic

Mitcham, VIC St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1959

Address: 490 Whitehorse Road, , Mitcham Victoria, 3132

In order to help the first Catholic families and to attend to their spiritual needs, Fr. William Mason Finn, who had a horse, travelled from the district of Warringal (now Heidelberg) and called on the families he knew to be Catholics, His parish extended from Warringal to the foothills of Mount Dandenong. One of the earliest priests…

Read More

Montello, TAS - Baptist

Montello, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1957

Address: 43 Mace Street, , Montello Tasmania, 7320

A foundation stone reads, " Montello Baptist Church This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Lt Col, S.E. Joyce E.D. Pres Baptist Union of Tas, 8th June 1957. Minister Rev P Steel, Union Secretary re E.E. Watson".

Read More