Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1951 and 1960


Edithvale, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Edithvale, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1959

Address: 9 Edithvale Road, , Edithvale Victoria, 3196

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Rev H.H. Kettle Chairman of the District on March 14th 1959"

Read More

Emerald, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Emerald, QLD - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 40 Theresa Street, , Emerald Queensland, 4720

In 1894 a special meeting of Anglican parishioners was called at 8pm at Presbyterian Church. A building committee was formed for raising money and building an English Church in Emerald. Only one year later the Bishop of Rockhampton, Nathanial Dawes. D.D. travelled to Emerald on 11th Aug 1895 for the dedication of Saint Luke's Church, a…

Read More

Epping West, NSW - Uniting

Epping West, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1955

Address: 161 Carlingford Road, , Epping West New South Wales, 2121

A wall plaque reads, " Opened to the Glory of God 12th November 1955 by the President of the Conference Rev J.H. Sorrell MMED Supt of Circuit Rev RA Gibbons". Another plaque reads". The above plaque was preserved from the original weatherboard church on this site. This new building is a tribute to eight years devoted voluntary labour…

Read More

Ermington, NSW - Sydney Vision Uniting

Ermington, NSW - Sydney Vision Uniting

Year Built: 1959

Address: 621 Victoria Street, , Ermington New South Wales, 2115

A Foundation stone reads, " This Church was opened and dedicated to the Glory of God by the Moderator Right Rev C.J. Vernon McKeown MA on Saturday 20th June 1959".

Read More

Esperance, WA - St John's Lutheran

Esperance, WA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1958

Address: 15 Backland Street, , Esperance Western Australia, 6450

The Church was opened in 1958. The Lutheran presence was first established in the Esperance region when South Australian farmers Walter and Grace Schultz took up land on Bows Road in Gibson in 1958.

Read More

Forbes, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Forbes, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1954

Address: Rankin Street, , Forbes New South Wales, 2871

The first services in the Forbes area were held at Bareenong. In 1931 it was canvassed to move services to Forbes. The first services were held in the CWA Hall. The foundation stone was laid on 5 August 1934 vy Pastor W Lehmann.

Read More

Forest Hill, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Forest Hill, VIC - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 303 Canterbury Road, , Forest Hill Victoria, 3131

In 1955 a request for services to be held at Forest Hill were instigated and the Sunday School began on 6th November. On the 11th of March 1956 the first church service was held and named St Mark the Evangelist. By September 1957 a building plan was approved by the Diocese. In 1961 the Rev. Stephen Cherry, assistant curate in St…

Read More

Frankston, VIC - Saint Francis Xavier Catholic

Frankston, VIC - Saint Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 60 Davey Street, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

The first Catholic church to open in Frankston on 15 December 1889 after land was purchased for 60.00 the year before. The opening Ceremony was conducted by his Grace Archbishop Carr.* The church was of brick construction with freestone dressings and measured 45 feet x 25 feet. The architects were Tappin, Gilbert and Denchy.*

Read More

Frankston, VIC - Uniting

Frankston, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: High Street, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

A Presbyterian Church service was first held in 1916 in an open space beside the then Mechanics Institute. The new Presbyterian congregation was at once attached to the congregations which had already been worshipping for many years at Somerville and at Baxter, then known as Mornington Junction. Two new congregations, at Seaford and…

Read More

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 101 Macquarie Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

A Foundation stone reads," To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Right Reverend Allan Martin Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Tasmania 22nd June 1958".

Read More

Gisborne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Gisborne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1951

Address: Corner Fisher & Brantome Streets, , Gisborne Victoria, 3437

Founded in 1855. A foundation stone was laid on 21 October 1951 by his Honour Leut General Sir E. F. Herring Chief Justice of Victoria. The Foundation stone has a stone from Canterbury Cathedral inlaid into it. The last service in the old Church was held on 7 February 1949 and they continued in the Masonic Hall until the new Church was…

Read More

Gladstone, QLD - Presbyterian

Gladstone, QLD - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1955

Address: 149 Goondoon Street, , Gladstone Queensland, 4680

Construction on a meeting place in the heart of Gladstone began in 1867, and the original foundation stone is still there today. This building was destroyed by a cyclone in March 1949. We rebuilt on the same site and the current building was finished in 1956. A Foundation stone reads, " AD 1867 This is the Foundation stone of the…

Read More

Glen Iris, VIC - St Faith's Anglican

Glen Iris, VIC - St Faith's Anglican

Year Built: 1958

Address: 4 Charles Street, , Glen Iris Victoria, 3146

The Church was designed by Mockridge, Stahle, and Mitchell and built between 1957 and 1958. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by the Right Reverend John McKie M.A. Administrator of the Diocese of Melbourne 7th December 1957 AD - Vicar Reverend Gordon Brown B.A. Architects Mockridge, Stahle, Mitchell".

Read More

Glenrowan, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Glenrowan, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1959

Address: 29 Church Street, , Glenrowan Victoria, 3675

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid on 23rd August 1959 by the Right Rev T.M. Armour Bishop of Wangaratta". A further stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Hall was blessed for use by the Right Rev John Parkes Bishop of Wangaratta 26th June 2016".

Read More

Gordon, NSW - Uniting

Gordon, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1955

Address: 18 Cecil Street, , Gordon New South Wales, 2071

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by The Rev Norman W. Lickiss Lth Minister of the Church 1955".

Read More

Greenock, SA - Uniting

Greenock, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: 6 Kapunda Road, , Greenock South Australia, 5360

Formerly a Methodist church, the Foundation stone was laid on 19 September 1954 by D.. Branson Esq.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - St Alban the Martyr Anglican

Griffith, NSW - St Alban the Martyr Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: Corner Anzac & Binya Streets, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 May 1954 by the Most Reverend H.G. Robinson Bishop of Riverena. The Architect was Louis R Williams.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - Uniting

Griffith, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: Beal Street, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 June 1957 by the Right Reverend E.H. Vines.

Read More

Hagley, TAS - Uniting

Hagley, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: 75 Meander Road, , Hagley Tasmania, 7292

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Reverend C.L. Turner B.A. Superintendent Minister 6th April 1957".

Read More

Hendra, QLD - St John's Anglican

Hendra, QLD - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1953

Address: 12 Barilda Street, , Hendra Queensland, 4011

A Foundation stone reads, " To the glory of God This stone was laid on Sunday 10th May 1953 by The Right Rev H H Dixon MA Th D Bishop Coadjutor of Brisbane".

Read More

Hobart, TAS - St George's Greek Orthodox

Hobart, TAS - St George's Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1957

Address: 5 Antill Street, , Hobart South Tasmania, 7004

A Foundation stone reads, " The Foundation stone of this Greek Orthodox Church was laid by The Honourable Consul for Greece T.T. Rogers O.B.E. J.P. on 25. 3. 1957".

Read More

Holland Park West, QLD - St Matthew's Memorial Anglican

Holland Park West, QLD - St Matthew's Memorial Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: 889 Logan Road, , Holland Park West Queensland, 4121

The Church was established as a mission church to service the expanding south eastern suburbs of Brisbane in the early1930’s, the parish reached its maturity after World War II which culminated with the building of the existing Memorial Church in 1957 and the establishment of the parish hall complex adjacent. A Foundation stone reads,…

Read More

Home Hill, QLD - St Stephen's Greek Orthodox

Home Hill, QLD - St Stephen's Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1960

Address: 5 Eighth Avenue, , Home Hill Queensland, 4806

A Foundation stone reads, " St Stephen's Greek Orthodox Church Home Hill - consecrated 27-12-61 by His Grace Archbishop Ezekiel". Another Foundation stone reads, " This stone was set on 21-2-60 by the Rev. Father El. Zographakis Priest of the Greek Orth. Church T-Villf and Cent Qld".

Read More

Horsham, VIC - St John the Divine Anglican

Horsham, VIC - St John the Divine Anglican

Year Built: 1957

Address: Baillie Street, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

The first resident Priest was the Rev J.M. Watson who began his services in the Mechanics Institute.Within a year of his arrival a vicarage was built and ready for occupation in February 1877. The original St Johns was opened and dedicated on April 29 1877 by Bishop Samuel Thornton of the newly established Ballarat Diocese. The…

Read More

Howlong, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Howlong, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1956

Address: 68 Pell Street, , Howlong New South Wales, 2643

A Foundation stone reads, " St Brigid's Church blessed and opened by The Most Reverend F.A. Henschke DD Bishop of Wagga 22nd July 1956 Rev T. Shanley Pastor".

Read More

Hughenden, QLD - St Thomas' Anglican

Hughenden, QLD - St Thomas' Anglican

Year Built: 1953

Address: 14 Hardwicke Street, , Hughenden Queensland, 4821

The first recorded services were held in 1883 and in 1885 Bishop Stanton dedicated the Parish Church of St Thomas. This church was demolished in 1949 by a cyclone. The origins of the Hughenden parish of the Church of England are closely bound up warn the first settlement of the district, particularly with Mr. Robert Gray, who gained…

Read More

Huon, VIC - Red Bluff Uniting (Former)

Huon, VIC - Red Bluff Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1952

Address: 34 Gundowring Road, , Huon Victoria, 3695

A Foundation stone reads, " Erected to the Glory of God by this Congregation of the Presbyterian Church AD 1952. A foundation stone on the tower reads, " This tower was added to the Glory of God in memory of the Christian pioneers of these valleys who toiled not in vain and are now at rest".

Read More

Hurstville, NSW - St Giles War Memorial Presbyterian

Hurstville, NSW - St Giles War Memorial Presbyterian

Year Built: 1955

Address: Corner Park & McMahon Streets, , Hurstville New South Wales, 2220

The first Presbyterian Church in Hurstville was a wooden building built in 1904 in Forest Road. The second Church was built in 1923 and is now the Youth Centre opposite the current Church. The Foundation stone of the current church reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by Lieut General Sir John Northcott KCMC CVO OB 5th March…

Read More

Ingham, QLD - Holy Trinity Anglican

Ingham, QLD - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: Jane Street, , Ingham Queensland, 4850

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God and n remembrance of those who served their country in time of war - This stone was laid by the Most Reverend Reginald Halse D.D. Archbishop of Brisbane and metropolitan of Queensland on the 5th September 1954. Rev W.J.A. Daniels Rector".

Read More

Invermay, TAS - St Finn Barr's Catholic

Invermay, TAS - St Finn Barr's Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Address: 122 Invermay Road, , Invermay Tasmania, 7248

A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was blessed and laid by his race the Most Rev E.V. Tweedy D.D. Archbishop of Hobart on 14th February 1954 W.T. Ryan Parish Priest". A second stone on a brick post reads, " These status were erected by parishioners of St Finn Barrs parish to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of the Parish Priest…

Read More

Ipswich, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Ipswich, QLD - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Nicholas & Roderwick Streets, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305

The first public gathering of Lutherans in the District was held on Reformation day 1858 in the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. The land on which the church currently stands was granted to the Lutherans on 17 November 1862. A small brick church was erected and dedicated 26 June 1864. The current church was erected in 1960 and dedicated on…

Read More

Ipswich, QLD - Uniting

Ipswich, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 27 Ellenborough Street, , Ipswich Queensland, 4305

The first Methodist service of worship in Ipswich (then known as 'Limestone') was held on 28 January 1848.

Read More

Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Kadina, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Ewing Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

The first service was held in the home of Mr F Fiedler and conducted by Pastor J Sabel in 1933. Later that year a congregation was formed. Services were moved to the Protestant Hall in 1945. This hall was later purchased renovated and dedicated on 23 September 1956. This building was not sufficient and it was decided in 1959 a proposal…

Read More

Katamatite, VIC Uniting

Katamatite, VIC Uniting

Year Built: 1960

Address: 34 Moore Street, , Katamatite Victoria, 3649

The Katamatite church is representative of a remarkable period of architectural experimentation during the postwar years, wherein new materials and technologies provided architects with cheaper means and mechanisms of construction. Designed by Architects architectural practice Muir and Shepherd. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory…

Read More

Kedron, QLD - Church of Christ

Kedron, QLD - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1959

Address: 12 Emerald Street, , Kedron Queensland, 4031

Brisbane North was actually formed in 1992, being an amalgamation of Albion Church of Christ, meeting at McLennan Street Albion, and Kedron Church of Christ, meeting at the current location. The Albion church was established in 1911, and one of the churches it eventually “gave birth” to was the Kedron congregation, established in 1929…

Read More

Kedron, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Kedron, QLD - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1957

Address: 96 Lekie Road, , Kedron Queensland, 4031

A Foundation stone reads, " Kedron Methodist memorial Church to the Glory of God to Memorial to all those who served and those who died in world wars 1914 - 1918, 1939 - 1945, and Korea 1950 - 1952. And in gratitude to pioneers of the Church This stone was laid by Rev S.Y Potter BA BD President of the Conference Rev L.S. Hiscock L Th…

Read More

Keith, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Keith, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1959

Address: Poplar Street, , Keith South Australia, 5267

The first Lutheran's recorded in the Keith area were that of J August Rohde's family in 1888. Between then and 1948 a visiting Pastor conducted services in the Keith area. Between then and the close of the Second World War there is no records of Lutheran activities in the Keith area. The first substantive service was held on 15 August…

Read More

Kempsey, NSW - Uniting

Kempsey, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1953

Address: 59 Tozer Street, , Kempsey New South Wales, 2440

Formerley a Methodist Church it was built in 1953, with the foundation stones laid by Frank O. Secomb and the Revd Wesley Tredinnick.

Read More

Kew East, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Kew East, VIC - St Anne's Catholic

Year Built: 1957

Address: Beresford Street, , Kew East Victoria, 3102

The current church was built in 1957 combining modern and traditional elements of a basilica forms and tower with a stripped back modernity. Built of common building material of brick. A Foundation stone was laid on August 10, 1930, by Archbishop Mannix laid for the original church. It was declared a separate parish in January 1937 when…

Read More

Kew East, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Kew East, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Windella Avenue, , Kew East Victoria, 3102

St Paul’s Parish Hall, built in 1925 represents the first building for the newly created parochial district of East Kew after its split from the districts of Holy Trinity and St Hilary’s in Kew. The 1960 church by Earle and Bunbury is a good example of a Modern Post-war church in the round. A Foundation stone reads, " To the Immortal…

Read More