Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1961 and 1970


Aberfeldie, VIC - Baptist

Aberfeldie, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1964

Address: 5 Price Street, , Aberfeldie Victoria, 3040

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God 24th May 1964".

Read More

Aberfeldie, VIC - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Aberfeldie, VIC - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 33 Fawkner Street, , Aberfeldie Victoria, 3040

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone symbol of Christ chief corner stone of the church was blessed and laid by his Grace The Most Revd James R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. on 29th October 1967 Revd J.B. Wall P.P. - S.J. Moran Architect M.P. Arbon & Co Builder ".

Read More

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 350 Mortimer Road, , Acacia Ridge Queensland, 4110

Father Flanagan, Parish Priest of Moorooka, purchased a property consisting of a house and five acres of land on the corner of Beaudesert and Mortimer Roads, Coopers Plains for 2250.00 pound. The previous owner was Arthur Harper. In 1950, the hut was converted into the Church of Our Lady of Fatima, with the farmhouse as its presbytery.…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Cathedral of Archangels Michael and Gabriel Greek Orthodox

Adelaide, SA - Cathedral of Archangels Michael and Gabriel Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1967

Address: 286 Franklin Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The Church is circular in plan, with an inner circle forming the gallery and an arc forming the Sanctuary. It is a reinforced concrete structure with brick walls which allows a band of windows at the base of the Dome. The roof is covered with sheet copper. The freestanding Bell Tower was constructed under a later contract.

Read More

Airport West, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Airport West, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 34 Roberts Road, , Airport West Victoria, 3042

A Foundation stone reads, " This church erected to the Glory of God under the protection of St Christopher was solemeny blessed and the main altar consecrated by Most Rev John N. Cullinane D.D. V.G. P.P. on October 5th 1969. The Temple of God is sacred and you are that temple 1. Cor 3/17" - Rev F.R. J Phelan Parish Priest - Max Chester…

Read More

Albury North, NSW - Greek Orthodox

Albury North, NSW - Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1964

Address: 378 Olive Street, , Albury North New South Wales, 2640

A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone was laid on 22.3.1964 by his Eminence Archbishop Ezekiel".

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Alexandra, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: 37 Downey Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The commemoration stone was laid by the Reverends K.O. Williams and Reverend W.C. Paul on 20 November 1966.

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Alexandra, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 36 Nihil Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend J.R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. 1 November 1970.

Read More

Alice Springs, NT - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Alice Springs, NT - Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 4 Hartley Street, , Alice Springs Northern Territory, 0870

In 1965 Fr. Dwyer MSC commenced preparation for the present church. Construction of a new church was underway on Lot 56 in late 1967. The foundation stone was blessed by Bishop JP O’Loughlin on 17th March, 1968. The church was officially opened on 11th May, 1969. Construction was by the Alice Springs firm Sitzler Brothers and the…

Read More

Annerley, QLD - Baptist

Annerley, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1965

Address: 556 Ipswich Road, , Annerley Queensland, 4103

A Foundation stone reads, " Annerley Baptist Church This Foundation stone was unveiled to the Glory of God on 13th March 1965 by Mr P.J. Hancox, President Baptist Union of Queensland. Rev C.L. Miller Minister Mr J.A. Barrie Secretary Mr E.S. Jones Senior Deacon".

Read More

Ashburton, VIC - Uniting

Ashburton, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: 3 Ashburn Grove, , Ashburton Victoria,

The site of the present property with a frontage of 180 feet to Ashburn Grove was purchased n December 1928 by the Malvern Circuit. A reference from the source below reads, " On Saturday 14th of December 1935 Rev F.H. Williams unlocked the Church doors with a gold key presented by the Architects and Rev J.W. Rowse who at the time was…

Read More

Ashgrove, QLD - The Grove Uniting

Ashgrove, QLD - The Grove Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: 22 Ashgrove Avenue, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid on 8 October 1961 by the Reverend J. Tainton. The church is now closed.

Read More

Auchenflower, QLD - Holy Spirit Catholic

Auchenflower, QLD - Holy Spirit Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 17 Harriett Street, , Auchenflower Queensland, 4066

Read More

Ayr, QLD - Uniting

Ayr, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1963

Address: 130 MacKenzie Street, , Ayr Queensland, 4807

A plaque reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set on behalf of the congregation of this Church. By Mr A.J. Green Senr a Foundation member on 1st September 1963. Minister Rev G.F. Robinson CF".

Read More

Balgowlah, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Balgowlah, NSW - All Saints' Anglican

Year Built: 1969

Address: 18 Boyle Street, , Balgowlah New South Wales, 2093

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was unveiled by his Excellency the Governor of N.S.W. Sir Roden Cutler VCK KCMG CBE on Sunday 27th April 1969. Minister Rev CI Brown BA Treasurer CJ Walker Church Wardens BHL Gray JR Cornish LB Huddleston".

Read More

Balranald, NSW - Presbyterian

Balranald, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1962

Address: 47 Bank Street, , Balranald New South Wales, 2715

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid to the Glory of God by Rev A.A. Dougan M.A. Principle of St Arnaud College on 6th October 1962".

Read More

Balwyn, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Balwyn, VIC - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: 172 Doncaster Road, , Balwyn Victoria, 3103

The Foundation stone was laid by the Reverend H.G. Mackay B.A. on 16 December 1961.

Read More

Banana, QLD - Uniting

Banana, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1968

Address: North Street, , Banana Queensland, 4702

A plaque in the grounds of the church reads in part, " In 1969 local folk felt the need for a place where they could gather for worship. So this humble building came into being under the umbrella of the Methodist Church. Construction was undertaken by a Biloela carpenter with the assistance of willing volunteers. The cost of the building…

Read More

Barcaldine, QLD - Uniting

Barcaldine, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: 7 Maple Street, , Barcaldine Queensland, 4725

The second Church on this site was built in 1893 and is now the Church Hall. The current Church was built in 1961.

Read More

Beaudesert, QLD - St Thomas' Memorial Anglican

Beaudesert, QLD - St Thomas' Memorial Anglican

Year Built: 1965

Address: 7 Albert Street, , Beaudesert Queensland, 4285

The original church was built in 1888 on 1 acre of land donated by Thomas Brayford. A £530 tender was accepted for the church to be constructed. Bishop Webber consecrated the church in September, 1888. The first Rector, Rev. Frederick Newton, served 1889-1891. The parish hall was built in 1897 and Rev. Henry Knatchbull built the Rectory…

Read More

Bell Park, VIC - Ukrainian Catholic

Bell Park, VIC - Ukrainian Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 21 Adler Crescent, , Bell Park Victoria, 3215

A plaque on the bell tower reads, " Bell Tower Memorial Millennium of Christianity in Ukraine 988 - 1988". A Foundation stone reads, " This Church of the patronage of the mother of God erected by the Ukrainian Catholics to the Glory of God and as a war memorial was consecrated by his Lordship Bishop Ivan Prasko Sunday 16th October 1966…

Read More

Bellerive, TAS - Corpus Christi Catholic

Bellerive, TAS - Corpus Christi Catholic

Year Built: 1965

Address: 2 Alma Street, , Bellerive Tasmania, 7018

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Bendemeer, NSW - Holy Innocents Catholic

Bendemeer, NSW - Holy Innocents Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: 72 Frederick Street, , Bendemeer New South Wales, 2355

A Foundation stone reads, " A. M. D. G. This stone commemorates the solemn blessing of Holy Innocents Church by the Rt Rev Maurice Tully P.P. Vicar Capitular 12th May, 1968 Rev George O'Connor, P.P. Pastor".

Read More

Bentleigh, VIC - Uniting

Bentleigh, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1968

Address: 497 Centre Road, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 March 1968 by H.V. Barnett. The Architect was John Scarborough.

Read More

Biloela, QLD - Church of the Nazarene

Biloela, QLD - Church of the Nazarene

Year Built: 1966

Address: 124 Rainbow Street, , Biloela Queensland, 4715

A wall plaque reads, " For the testimony of Jesus Christ this Church was opened December 3rd 1966 by Rev A.A.E. Berg Superintendent".

Read More

Biloela, QLD - Lutheran

Biloela, QLD - Lutheran

Year Built: 1964

Address: 113 Grevillea Street, , Biloela Queensland, 4715

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God 11th October 1964 - Ephesians 2 : 20".

Read More

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Blackmans Bay, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1968

Address: Corner Roslyn & Pearsall Avenue, , Blackmans Bay Tasmania, 7052

The Foundation stone was laid on 4 August 1968 by the Archdeacon of Hobart I.J.B. McDonald.

Read More

Blacktown, NSW - Baptist

Blacktown, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1963

Address: Cnr Harold and Sackville Streets, , Blacktown New South Wales, 2148

The Church was started by the McLean family who felt there was a need for a Baptist church in the Blacktown area and donated the land. The original timber church hall was built in the early 1930’s and the current brick Church building was opened in 1963. A Foundation plaque reads, " To the Glory of God this new Church and Christian…

Read More

Blacktown, NSW - St Nicholas' Serbian Orthodox

Blacktown, NSW - St Nicholas' Serbian Orthodox

Year Built: 1967

Address: 33 Second Avenue, , New South Wales, 2148

In 1967 the foundation stone of the Church was blessed by His Grace Bishop Dimitrije (Balac) on 29 January 1967 when Ljubomir Vucurovic was also ordained a deacon. In 1971 the Church was consecrated on 12 June by His Grace Dimitrije (Balac) the Serbian Orthodox Bishop for Australia and New Zealand.

Read More

Blyth, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Blyth, SA - Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1970

Address: South Terrace, , Blyth South Australia, 5462

The first church was built in 1909. The Church foundation stone was laid on 20th September 1970 by Rev P A Scherer, architects Drogemuller & Pudney, opened 21 Feb 1971. Former St Petri bell in bell tower. First Trinity Lutheran in district opened 1881 in former Wesleyan chapel.

Read More

Bomaderry, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Bomaderry, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1962

Address: 46 Bunberry Street, , Bomaderry New South Wales, 2541

Read More

Boonah, QLD - All Saints' Catholic

Boonah, QLD - All Saints' Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: John Street, , Boonah Queensland, 4310

The first Catholic church was opened on 1 November 1887. This is the third church and was opened on 29 October 1961.

Read More

Boonah, QLD - Baptist

Boonah, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1965

Address: 36 Church Street, , Boonah Queensland, 4310

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 January 1965 by Mr P.J. Hancox President of the Queensland Baptist Union.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - Church of Christ

Bordertown, SA - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1965

Address: West Terrace, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

The church was erected in 1965.

Read More

Bordertown, SA - St Mary's Catholic

Bordertown, SA - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: Victoria Parade, , Bordertown South Australia, 5268

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 February 1969 by the Archbishop of Adelaide the most Reverend J.W. Gleeson D.D.

Read More

Bowenfels, NSW Baptist

Bowenfels, NSW Baptist

Year Built: 1966

Address: 107 Great Western Highway , , Bowenfels New South Wales, 2790

A Foundation stone does in fact read, " This Church of St Francis Xavier was solemnly blessed and opened by the Most Reverend A.R.E. Thomas D.D. Bishop of Bathurst 10th December 1966".

Read More

Box Hill South, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Box Hill South, VIC - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1970

Address: 10 Surrey Street, , Box Hill South Victoria, 3128

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend R.W. Dann on 24 May 1970. The Architect was John Roseenthal and the Vicar was C.N. Thomas.

Read More

Braddon, ACT - St Columba's Uniting

Braddon, ACT - St Columba's Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner Fawkner & Farrer Streets, , Braddon Australian Capital Territory, 2612

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 April 1961 by Reverend Harold G. Durbin.

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Bridgewater, SA - Grace Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: 15 Wembley Avenue, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

The Foundation stone was laid in 1961. Extensions to the church were made in 2002.

Read More

Bridgewater, SA - St Matthew's Catholic

Bridgewater, SA - St Matthew's Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 1 Wembley Avenue, , Bridgewater South Australia, 5155

The Foundation stone was laid on 27 March 1966 by the most Reverend J.W. Gleeson C.M.G. Co Adjutor Archbishop of Adelaide.

Read More