Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1961 and 1970


Maryborough, QLD - St Matthew's Lutheran

Maryborough, QLD - St Matthew's Lutheran

Year Built: 1967

Address: 60 John Street, , Maryborough Queensland, 4650

A plaque reads, " This St Matthews Church together with the Hall unit is erected to mark 100 years in the life of the Lutheran Church, Maryborough established 1867. + November 26th 1967 Pastor F.H. Schimdt President LCA OD Come Lord Jesus Rev 22.20".

Read More

Meredith, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Meredith, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: 15 - 27 Lawler Street , , Meredith Victoria, 3333

The first Mass is this district was celebrated by Fr Symth at the home of John Campion, Campion Road Meredith in 1838. The first Catholic church was built in 1860 on a block of land in Mercer Street. This present church was built by Smith Bros and R Dudderidge. It was opened and dedicated by Archbishop Slattery on the feast of the…

Read More

Miami, QLD - Calvery Catholic

Miami, QLD - Calvery Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 50 Redondo Avenue, , Miami Queensland, 4220

A plaque reads, The Calvary War Memorial Catholic Church erected to the memory of the men and women who gave their lives in the service of their country. Opened on the 22nd December 1963 by + James Archbishop of Brisbane".

Read More

Mirani, QLD - The Immaculate Conception Catholic

Mirani, QLD - The Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1965

Address: 33 Alexander Street, , Mirani Queensland, 4754

The first church was opened in 1901. A plaque reads, " Immaculate Conception Memorial Church blessed and opened 21st November 1965 - Right Rev Monsignor D.G. Tiernan RI - Vicor General Representing His Lordship the Bishop of Rockhampton Most Reverend Francis R. Rush D.D. - Father E.H. Fraher P.P. Alan Ferrier Architect Father R. Cullinane…

Read More

Mirboo North, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Mirboo North, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: Ridgeway Street, , Mirboo North Victoria, 3871

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 December 1964 by his Lordship Patrick Francis Lyons Bishop of Sale.

Read More

Mirboo North, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Mirboo North, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1965

Address: Corner Grand Ridge East & Baromi Road, , Mirboo North Victoria, 3871

The first Church services in the area were held in the home of Mr W. Napier an unoffical and perhaps self appointed lay preacher. He is reported to have taken a burial there in 1882. The Foundation stone was laid on 6 November 1965 by the Right Reverend D.A. Garnsey M.A. Bishop of Gippsland.

Read More

Mitcham, SA - Uniting

Mitcham, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1962

Address: 103A Princes Road, , Mitcham South Australia, 3132

A foundation stone was laid on the original church on 10 January 1882 by the Hon John Colton MP. A foundation stone for the current church 2 December 1962 by Rev T.G. Ingliss President of the Conference.

Read More

Moe, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Moe, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1968

Address: 6 George Street, , Moe Victoria, 3825

In 1925 whether or not the severence was made from Yarragon or Trafalgar parish Moe became a seperate parish having Hill End, Tanjil South and Coalville and other smaller places within its boundaries. A Foundation stone was laid on 10 September 1968 by J. Russell Savige M.C. E.D.

Read More

Moe, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Moe, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1963

Address: Fowler Street, , Moe Victoria, 3825

Read More

Moe, VIC - St Kieran's Catholic

Moe, VIC - St Kieran's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 2 Wirraway Street, , Moe Victoria, 3825

The first St Keiran's stood on a block of land on the higher eastern side of the George and Anzac Streets and was blessed on 16 December 1900. A Foundation stone was laid on 9 August 1970 by his Lordship the Most Reverend Arthur Francis Fox D.D. Bishop of Sale. The cost was just over $67,000, is large enough to see 500 people and was…

Read More

Montmorency, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Montmorency, VIC - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1965

Address: 86 Mayona Road, , Montmorency Victoria, 3094

The Church was blessed & opened by Rev. Justin D. Simonds D.D. PhD, Archbishop of Melbourne, on July 25th 1965. The Parish Priest at that time was Rev. Father Brendan Torr.

Read More

Mooroolbark, VIC - St Francis in the Fields Anglican

Mooroolbark, VIC - St Francis in the Fields Anglican

Year Built: 1962

Address: 218 Hull Road, , Mooroolbark Victoria, 3138

Designed by the architect Wystan Windows as a hall, the foundation stone was laid on 18 February 1962. The Church closed in 2017.

Read More

Morwell, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Morwell, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: Commercial Road, , Morwell Victoria, 3840

In 1879 three Catholic residents, Edmond Kelleher, hotel keeper, Timothy O'Connor, labourer and Edward Crinigan, farmer, purchased three adjoining allotments at Section 5 of Robinson's survey for the total cost of £6. The property had a frontage of 300 feet on the present George Street, with a depth of 250 feet to Elgin Street, now the…

Read More

Mosman, NSW - St Therese Catholic

Mosman, NSW - St Therese Catholic

Year Built: 1964

Address: 210 Spit Road, , Mosman New South Wales, 2088

The Parish was established in October 1955 with Masses celebrated in the presbytery for ten years until the church was erected in 1965. The church was designed by Donald Maclurcan, a well-known architect and member of the parish. The foundation stone was laid and blessed on May 10th 1964 by Cardinal Gilroy, Archbishop of Sydney, who…

Read More

Mount Compass, SA - St Christopher's Anglican

Mount Compass, SA - St Christopher's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: Clyde Terrace Street, , Mount Compass South Australia, 5210

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 January 1961 by the Archdeacon of Strathalbyn Venerable J.J. Bond TH. L.

Read More

Mount Waverley, VIC - Uniting

Mount Waverley, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: 482 High Street Road, , Mount Waverley Victoria, 3149

In March 1971 the two congregations of the High Street Road Methodist Church and the Syndal Presbyterian Church agreed to unite – a process they called ‘Oneness’. The first service of the High Street Road Uniting Church was held on 3rd February, 1974 – three years before the inauguration of the Uniting Church in Australia. On 11 July…

Read More

Mulwala, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Mulwala, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 27 Havelock Street, , Mulwala New South Wales, 2647

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was blessed and laid in position on Sunday April 7th 1963 by Most Reverend Doctor F.A. Henschke Bishop of Wagga Wagga. Parish Priest Rev P. O'Connell".

Read More

Mundingburra, QLD - Holy Trinity Catholic

Mundingburra, QLD - Holy Trinity Catholic

Year Built: 1965

Address: 75 Ross River Road, , Mundingburra Queensland, 4812

A Foundation stone reads, " The Foundation stone of this Church of the Most Holy Trinity was blessed and placed by the Most Rev H.E. Ryan D.D. Bishop of Townsville on 13th June 1965. In the Fourth Year of the Second Vatican Council".

Read More

Murrumbeena, VIC - Baptist

Murrumbeena, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1962

Address: 44 Murrumbeena Road, , Murrumbeena Victoria, 3163

The Church has been meeting in Murrumbeena since 1890. In 1907, with an eye on future expansion of the church facilities, negotiations took place to acquire adjacent vacant land fronting Sydney Street. A “beautiful and commodious Sunday School hall” was erected thereon, officially opening in February 1916 (Oakleigh & Caulfield Times…

Read More

Murrumbeena, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Murrumbeena, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 6 Dalny Road, , Murrumbeena Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " St Patrick's Church Murrumbeena this memorial stone was blessed by Most Reverend E.V. Tweedy D.D. Seventeenth March 1963. Robert O Ellis Architect William Rovira Parish Priest M.P. Arbon & Co Builders".

Read More

Murtoa, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Murtoa, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1965

Address: Corner Duncan & Degenhardt Streets, , Murtoa Victoria, 3390

The Murtoa congregation was organized by Pastor Schoknecht in 1874, on Pentecost Monday. The first services were held in the house of Bro. E. Habel. Soon, however, the building of a church was taken in hand. "The Kirchenbote" of 1875, contains a correspondence, dated June 3, 1875, in which the dedication is reported. The church was built…

Read More

Natimuk, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Natimuk, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Main Street, , Natimuk Victoria, 3409

The parish was, from 1874 until 1904, under the spiritual care of Pastor Schoknecht. The present pastor, J. F. Noack, was installed in September, 1905. In the course of the following years the Natimuk pastor opened a preaching place at Horsham, and organized a congregation there. Pastor Schurmann held the first services here in the…

Read More

Noble Park, VIC - St Columba's Uniting

Noble Park, VIC - St Columba's Uniting

Year Built: 1962

Address: 2 Joy Parade, , Noble Park Victoria, 3174

A Foundation stone on the current Church reads, " To the Glory of God this Foundation stone was laid by Rev H.L. Hallett 16th June 1962". A Foundation stone on the original Church reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by R.R. Duncan Esq 26th May 1956. The Rev P.M. Roberts Interim Moderator RM & HM King Associate Architects".

Read More

North Balwyn, VIC - St Aiden's Uniting

North Balwyn, VIC - St Aiden's Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: 17 Duggan Street, , North Balwyn Victoria,

The Methodist Church, desirous of providing a place of worship in the (new) area, had bought land in Winmallee Road, which was later sold in favour of a block on Doncaster Road purchased for 480 plus solicitors' fees and other expenses amounting to 8.10.3! On 23rd February 1940 five men met at the Canterbury Parsonage under the…

Read More

North Parramatta, NSW - Parramatta Centenary Uniting

North Parramatta, NSW - Parramatta Centenary Uniting

Year Built: 1967

Address: 46 Sorell Street, , North Parramatta New South Wales, 2151

Read More

North Tamworth, NSW - Greek Orthodox

North Tamworth, NSW - Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1961

Address: 1 Upper Street, , North Tamworth New South Wales, 2340

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was set by the Right Reverend J.S. Moyes D.D. D Litt Lord Bishop of Armidale 25th November 1961".

Read More

Northgate, QLD - St John's Catholic

Northgate, QLD - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1962

Address: 688 Nudgee Road , , Northgate Queensland, 4013

The Church was built in 1962, eleven years after it was proposed for construction with the adjacent St. Jon’s Convent School. This church is the only non-military place of worship that was built specifically as a Royal Australian Navy War Memorial. The design architect was Frank Leo Cullen. He was born c1909 in Brisbane and was the…

Read More

Northmead, NSW - Anglican

Northmead, NSW - Anglican

Year Built: 1970

Address: 6 Thomas Street, , Northmead New South Wales, 2152

A Foundation stone reads, To the Glory of God this stone was unveiled by His Excellency the Governor of New South Wales Sir Roden Cutler VC KCMO KCVO CBE on 11th October 1970 J Short, J.A. Brayley LL B, B.R.A. Wood Church Wardens Rev J.H. Wyndham ThL Curate in Charge". A further stone reads "This stone was laid by Mrs G.F. Macarthur…

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner First & Second Street, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

The first St Petri church was opened in 1867. The tower was built in 1927 and a new church replaced the first church in 1961.

Read More

Orange, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Orange, NSW - St Barnabas Anglican

Year Built: 1970

Address: 26 Dora Street, , Orange New South Wales, 2800

A plaque reads, ' A.M.D.G. To commemorate the commencement of the building of the Church of St Barnabas as a war memorial this plaque was blessed by Kenneth, Bishop of Bathurst 15th Nov 1970 R.M. Hull Rector". A Foundation stone reads, " A.M.D.G. This stone was set by Dr W.F. Matthews February 10th 1940".

Read More

Pascoe Vale, VIC - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Pascoe Vale, VIC - St Oliver Plunkett's Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: 1 Landells Road, , Pascoe Vale Victoria, 3044

A Foundation stone reads, " Blessed Oliver Plunket Church Blessed and opened by Most Rev Arthur Francis Fox D.D. Auxiliary to His Grace Archbishop Mannix 9th July 1961 - Rev Fr T. Keogh P.P.".

Read More

Penrith, NSW - Presbyterian

Penrith, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1965

Address: 9 Doonmore Street, , Penrith New South Wales, 2750

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set in place on 21st August 1965 by Rev Victor Clark Duff BA a trustee of the Presbyterian Church of NSW and a native of Penrith. Rev J.D. Penman Minister". A further foundation stone of the older church building reads, " This tablet was laid to the Glory of God by Rev V…

Read More

Poowong, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Poowong, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1967

Address: Poowong Ranceby Road, , Poowong Victoria, 3988

Land around Poowong was opened up for selection in 1874. The Foundation stone for the current church was laid on 31 May 1962 by the right Reverend D.A. Garnsey Bishop of Gippsland. The building had been relocated parallel to the road behind the cream brick church constructed in 1967 to the design of Louis R Williams, Architect. This…

Read More

Portarlington, VIC - Uniting

Portarlington, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1962

Address: Corner Newcombe & Fisher Streets, , Portarlington Victoria, 3223

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. The Foundation stone of this Church was laid on 18 February 1962 by Mrs G. Brown. The Architect was Messrs G E Drinnan and Associates of Geelong.

Read More

Pyramid Hill, VIC - Tyndale Memorial Church

Pyramid Hill, VIC - Tyndale Memorial Church

Year Built: 1966

Address: 68 Victoria Street, , Pyramid Hill Victoria, 3575

On 23rd April 1886 a block of land donated by Mrs I. Watson with half acre adjoining at a cost of £5 was accepted. It was also moved that a salary of £40 per annum be guaranteed to the minister. Names of trustees were to be submitted to Presbytery for approval, and application made to have the church added to the Kerang/Durham Ox charge.…

Read More

Regent, VIC - Baptist

Regent, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1964

Address: High Street, , Regent Victoria, 3073

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 April 1964 by the Reverend T.F. Keyte General Superintendent Baptist Union of Victoria. The Architect was Keith Reid and the church was built by J Newbold.

Read More

Reid, ACT - St Peter's Lutheran

Reid, ACT - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: 6 Boolee Street, , Reid Australian Capital Territory, 2612

St Peter's was dedicated in September 1961 and was a gift from the United Evangelical Lutheran Church as a war memorial.

Read More

Reid, ACT - St Peter's Memorial Lutheran

Reid, ACT - St Peter's Memorial Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: 6 Boolee Street, , Reid New South Wales, 2612

A plaque reads, " Behold I lay in Sion a Chief corner stone elect precious 1 Peter 2 , 6 1st Sunday after Trinity AD 1961".

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - St George's Anglican

Reservoir, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: Corner of Ralph & Byfield Streets, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Archbishop of Melbourne the Most Reverend Frank Woods M.A. D.D. on 14 November 1964.

Read More

Ringwood, VIC - Uniting

Ringwood, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1963

Address: 30 - 32 Station Street, , Ringwood Victoria, 3134

There are several foundation stones installed in the church building which read. This stone was laid to the glory of God by E.W. Greenwood Esq M.L.A. 23 February 1918. This stone was laid to the glory of God by Rev E. J. Little in token of the children's part in the building of this church. To the Glory of God this stone was laid…

Read More