Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1961 and 1980


Dromana, VIC - Uniting

Dromana, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1965

Address: 305 Point Nepean Highway, , Dromana Victoria, 3936

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 May 1965.

Read More

Elizabeth, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Elizabeth, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1965

Address: 521 Main North Road, , Elizabeth South Australia, 5112

The Foundation stone was laid on 5 December 1965. The Hall foundation stone was laid on 8 June 1975.

Read More

Eudunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Eudunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1979

Address: Corner Hanna & Kapunda Streets, , Eudunda South Australia, 5374

A congregation was formed at Emmaus in 1870 by Pastor E.D. Appelt of the Nain-Gnadenberg Parish. The first service was held in the home of Mr. C. Ziersch. A church was built in 1872 at Emmaus during the ministry of Pastor R. Ey and an adjoining school was also built. Eudunda, which had originated with a wine store on busy cross roads…

Read More

Foster, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Foster, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1962

Address: 34 Station Road, , Foster Victoria, 3960

The first church in Foster was licenced on 24 October 1890. The church and vicarage were destroyed by the disastrous bushfires of 1898. The Parish Hall was built in 1928. The current brick church was built in 1962.

Read More

Gatton, QLD - Lutheran

Gatton, QLD - Lutheran

Year Built: 1978

Address: 85 Spencer Street, , Gatton Queensland, 4343

The church was opened and dedicated on 16 April 1978.

Read More

Gawler, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Gawler, SA - Immanuel Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Corner Second & Seventh Streets, , Gawler South Australia, 5118

The first church was erected in 1863. The Foundation stone for the current church was laid on 18 September 1962 and the building was dedicated on 12 May 1963.

Read More

George Town, TAS - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

George Town, TAS - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1978

Address: 35 Goulburn Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

A small band of soldiers and a handful of convicts formed the congregation at George Town's first Mass, celebrated on June 1, 1821, by Tasmania's pioneer priest, Father Philip Conolly. For a century and a half, the little holiday town seemed lazily quiescent, only to come alive at holiday time when a horde of sun-worshippers from…

Read More

Glenelg, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Glenelg, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 1 Torrens Square, , Glenelg South Australia, 5045

The first church was built in 1852, designed by Edmund Wright and built by Henry Moseley.2 In 1881 it was announced that the old church was to be demolished. The replacement, again to the design of Wright, was to be built in sections commencing with nave and chancel. The western porch (1924) is the last structural addition. Squared…

Read More

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Catholic

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: Partridge Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1967 by Rev Thomas Horgan P.A.

Read More

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Lutheran

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Lutheran

Year Built: 1967

Address: Partridge Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1967 by Rev Thomas Horgan P.A. The Lutheran's share this Catholic Church for services.

Read More

Greenacres, SA - Uniting

Greenacres, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: Mullers Road, , Greenacres South Australia, 5086

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 February 1964 by the Ex President of the Conference the Reverend G.T. Inglis B.A. B.D.

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Greensborough, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1967

Address: Corner Main Street & Church Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

Church of England services can be traced back to around 1886. The first services took place in a barn owned by Major Anthony Bealle who "selected" St Helena near Greensborough in 1839. A weatherboard church along with a school and vicarage were built in 1889 and were located where the current church is situated. The school was…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - Calvery Lutheran

Greensborough, VIC - Calvery Lutheran

Year Built: 1978

Address: 1 Oldstead Road, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The original church was in Briar Hill from 1954 to 1969 and then Montmorency from 1970 to 1977. A foundation stone dated 29 October 1978 sits on the wall of the current church. The current church was opened in 2006 and its foundation stone was laid on 19 February of that year.

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: Grimshaw Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The land on which the church resides was originally owned by Mrs Edith Santon. She did not want it sold and subdivided. The first services were held in the Santon homestead in 1952. The house was later to be used as the Presbytery until about 1970. By 1954 work commenced on five school buildings and completed and opened in 1955 by…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - Uniting

Greensborough, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: 37 Grimshaw Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The first service of the Greensborough Methodist church was held in March of 1850, in, "Meagher's Barn" which refers to a barn that stood on the "Willis Vale" property of James Willis Mayger, near the Plenty River. The Wesleyans acquired their own house of worship in Hailes Street. This weatherboard church was still being used as a…

Read More

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 1 Cullavin Street, , Gunning New South Wales, 2581

The first church was erected on this site in 1859. The current church was erected in 1973. The Foundation stone was laid on 9 September 1973 by Archbishop Thomas V Cahill.

Read More

Hanwood, NSW - St Anthony Catholic

Hanwood, NSW - St Anthony Catholic

Year Built: 1972

Address: Ash Street, , Hanwood New South Wales, 2680

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 December 1972 by the Most Reverend F.P. Carroll D.D Bishop of Wagga Wagga.

Read More

Hawthorn, SA - Church of Christ

Hawthorn, SA - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1965

Address: 42 Angas Road, , Hawthorn South Australia, 5062

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 May 1965.

Read More

Henty, NSW - St Paul's Lutheran

Henty, NSW - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Corner Comer & Lyne Street, , Henty New South Wales, 2658

The Foundation stone was laid on 12 May 1963.

Read More

Highett, VIC - St Agnes Catholic

Highett, VIC - St Agnes Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 10 Spring Road, , Highett Victoria, 3190

A Plaque on the church wall reads, "This Church dedicated to S. Agnes V.M. was blessed and opened on Wednesday 10 September 1969 by Archbishop J Knox D.D. Parish Priest Fr G. Quilter. The Church was built as a Peace Memorial for those who died Defending their country R.I.P. This stone commemorates the 50th Anniversary of the Parish 13…

Read More

Huonville, TAS- Church of Christ Community

Huonville, TAS- Church of Christ Community

Year Built: 1965

Address: 81 Main Street, , Huonville Tasmania, 7109

A Foundation stone reads, : Huonville, Memorial Congregational Church opened and dedicated to the Glory of God on June 27th 1965 by Ref Harold James Ralph. Thy faithfulness in unto all generations. Psalm 118 - 90".

Read More

Ivanhoe, VIC - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Ivanhoe, VIC - Mary Immaculate Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner Waverley & Upper Heidelberg Road, , Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

The original church was built in 1915 by Architects Kempson and Connlly. The Pastor was the Reverend M.F. McKenna. The current church was erected in 1961. The foundation stone was laid by the Most Reverend Arthur Fox D.D. on 10 December. Reverend Bernard Geohegan P.P. was the Pastor.

Read More

Kadina, SA - Wesley Uniting

Kadina, SA - Wesley Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: Taylor Street, , Kadina South Australia, 5554

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid on 14 May 1961 by Reverend A.R. Medson Ex President of the Conference". This church building opened in 1978.

Read More

Keith, SA - Church of Christ

Keith, SA - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1962

Address: Fifth Street, , Keith South Australia, 5267

The Foundation stone was laid in 1962.

Read More

Kettering, TAS - Church of the Holy Spirit Uniting

Kettering, TAS - Church of the Holy Spirit Uniting

Year Built: 1969

Address: Channel Highway, , Kettering Tasmania, 7155

In 1863 Dr Crowther and Mr M. Holmes made land available for a place of public worship and a cemetery. The resulting building served as a schoolroom as well as a chapel. This Union Chapel, for protestants of any denomination, serviced the scattered rural environment. The structure survived the 1897 bushfires, but in 1900 was replaced…

Read More

Kingsford, NSW - St Spyridon Greek Orthodox

Kingsford, NSW - St Spyridon Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1973

Address: 78 Gardeners Road, , Kingsford New South Wales, 2032

Daceyville was Crown land in the 1880's and was named Raggetty Flat. In January of 1913, the Government Housing Board asked Archbishop Kelly if the Catholic Church was interested in participating in a ballot for sites to erect religious buildings in the then named Dacey Garden Suburb. The Archbishop accepted the invitation and the…

Read More

Kingsgrove, NSW - Baptist

Kingsgrove, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1962

Address: 9 Shackel Avenue, , Kingsgrove New South Wales, 2208

Known today as Clempton Park Baptist church the Church was opened on 22 September 1962 by the President of the Baptist Union of Australia the Reverend G.H. Morling M.A.

Read More

Kingston SE, SA - St John's Lutheran

Kingston SE, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Cameron Street, , Kingston SE South Australia, 5275

The Foundation stone was laid on 27 October 1963 by Rev K.E. Thamm.

Read More

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St John the Baptist

Koo Wee Rup, VIC - St John the Baptist

Year Built: 1962

Address: 190 Station Street, , Koo Wee Rup Victoria, 3981

The Foundation stone was laid on 23 December 1962 by the Most Reverend Patrick Lyons D.D. Bishop of Sale.

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Leeton, NSW - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1962

Address: Maiden Street, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

Built of brick the church was opened on 8 July 1962.

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Leeton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1973

Address: Corner Church & Oak Streets, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

The first Church was opened in 1915. Its foundation stone was laid in 1913 and was constructed of sun dired mud bricks. The Foundation stone of the next Church was laid on 3 March 1973 by the Right Reverend B.R. Hunter Bishop of Riverena.

Read More

Lucindale, SA - St Andrew's Anglican

Lucindale, SA - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1963

Address: Wattle Drive, , Lucindale South Australia, 5272

A Foundation stone reads, "To the glory of God, this stone was laid by Mrs R.J. Legoe 28 July 1963."

Read More

Marion, SA - Uniting

Marion, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1965

Address: Corner Township Road & Church Crescent, , Marion South Australia, 5043

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 August 1965 by Mr and Mrs Lawrence Western.

Read More

Marrickville, NSW - St Nicholas Greek Orthodox

Marrickville, NSW - St Nicholas Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1965

Address: 203 Livingstone Street, , Marrickville New South Wales, 2204

Between 1961 and 1966, the original house on the land acquired was converted into a Church. The foundation Stone was laid on June 6th, 1965 by His Eminence Archbishop Ezekiel of Australia and New Zealand, with the Official Opening taking place on the 3rd October 1966 by His Grace Bishop Dionysios of Nazianzos. The church has a white…

Read More

Meeniyan, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Meeniyan, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 4 Geale Street, , Meeniyan Victoria, 3956

The Church was opened by the Most Reverend Arthur Fox D.D. Bishop of Sale on 11 July 1971.

Read More

Melba, ACT - Uniting

Melba, ACT - Uniting

Year Built: 1973

Address: Kingsford Smith Drive, , Melba Australian Capital Territory, 2615

Services began in March 1973 at the Melba Primary School as a joint venture with local Anglicans and Non Conformists. This association was dissolved in 1982. By 1989 the new Parish Centre was under construction and was completed the following year.*

Read More

Meridith, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Meridith, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: 15 - 27 Lawler Street , , Meredith Victoria, 3333

The first Mass is this district was celebrated by Fr Symth at the home of John Campion, Campion Road Meredith in 1838. The first Catholic church was built in 1860 on a block of land in Mercer Street. This present church was built by Smith Bros and R Dudderidge. It was opened and dedicated by Archbishop Slattery on the feast of the…

Read More

Mirboo North, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Mirboo North, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: Ridgeway Street, , Mirboo North Victoria, 3871

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 December 1964 by his Lordship Patrick Francis Lyons Bishop of Sale.

Read More

Mirboo North, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Mirboo North, VIC - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1965

Address: Corner Grand Ridge East & Baromi Road, , Mirboo North Victoria, 3871

The first Church services in the area were held in the home of Mr W. Napier an unoffical and perhaps self appointed lay preacher. He is reported to have taken a burial there in 1882. The Foundation stone was laid on 6 November 1965 by the Right Reverend D.A. Garnsey M.A. Bishop of Gippsland.

Read More

Mitcham, SA - Uniting

Mitcham, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1962

Address: 103A Princes Road, , Mitcham South Australia, 3132

A foundation stone was laid on the original church on 10 January 1882 by the Hon John Colton MP. A foundation stone for the current church 2 December 1962 by Rev T.G. Ingliss President of the Conference.

Read More