Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1961 and 1980


Moe, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Moe, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1968

Address: 6 George Street, , Moe Victoria, 3825

In 1925 whether or not the severence was made from Yarragon or Trafalgar parish Moe became a seperate parish having Hill End, Tanjil South and Coalville and other smaller places within its boundaries. A Foundation stone was laid on 10 September 1968 by J. Russell Savige M.C. E.D.

Read More

Moe, VIC - St Kieran's Catholic

Moe, VIC - St Kieran's Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 2 Wirraway Street, , Moe Victoria, 3825

The first St Keiran's stood on a block of land on the higher eastern side of the George and Anzac Streets and was blessed on 16 December 1900. A Foundation stone was laid on 9 August 1970 by his Lordship the Most Reverend Arthur Francis Fox D.D. Bishop of Sale. The cost was just over $67,000, is large enough to see 500 people and was…

Read More

Mooroolbark, VIC - St Francis in the Fields Anglican

Mooroolbark, VIC - St Francis in the Fields Anglican

Year Built: 1962

Address: 218 Hull Road, , Mooroolbark Victoria, 3138

Designed by the architect Wystan Widdows as a hall, the foundation stone was laid on 18 February 1962. The Church closed in 2017.

Read More

Morphett Vale, SA - St Mary's help of Christians Catholic

Morphett Vale, SA - St Mary's help of Christians Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 3 Venning Street, , Morphett Vale South Australia, 5162

The first Roman Catholic Church erected in South Australia was St Mary's, Morphett Vale, on a site given by Mr A Anderson. It was dedicated by Bishop Murray on 8 December 1844. Built of local stone, the foundation stone was laid July 1845, opened 1846. Nave and chancel erected about twenty years later. The roof is now corrugated…

Read More

Morwell, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Morwell, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: Commecial Road, , Morwell Victoria, 3840

The Foundation stone was laid on 15 November 1970 by the Most Reverend Arthur Francis Fox D.D. Bishop of Sale. The Architect was McCarthey and Collins and the Builder was Sola Constructions.

Read More

Mount Compass, SA - St Christopher's Anglican

Mount Compass, SA - St Christopher's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: Clyde Terrace Street, , Mount Compass South Australia, 5210

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 January 1961 by the Archdeacon of Strathalbyn Venerable J.J. Bond TH. L.

Read More

Mulwala, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Mulwala, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 27 Havelock Street, , Mulwala New South Wales, 2647

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was blessed and laid in position on Sunday April 7th 1963 by Most Reverend Doctor F.A. Henschke Bishop of Wagga Wagga. Parish Priest Rev P. O'Connell".

Read More

Murrumbeena, VIC - Baptist

Murrumbeena, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1962

Address: 44 Murrumbeena Road, , Murrumbeena Victoria, 3163

The Church has been meeting in Murrumbeena since 1890. In 1907, with an eye on future expansion of the church facilities, negotiations took place to acquire adjacent vacant land fronting Sydney Street. A “beautiful and commodious Sunday School hall” was erected thereon, officially opening in February 1916 (Oakleigh & Caulfield Times…

Read More

Murrumbeena, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Murrumbeena, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 6 Dalny Road, , Murrumbeena Victoria, 3163

A Foundation stone reads, " St Patrick's Church Murrumbeena this memorial stone was blessed by Most Reverend E.V. Tweedy D.D. Seventeenth March 1963. Robert O Ellis Architect William Rovira Parish Priest M.P. Arbon & Co Builders".

Read More

Natimuk, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Natimuk, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Main Street, , Natimuk Victoria, 3409

The first church was built in 1872 behind the present day church. Todays church was dedicated on 24 March 1963.The foundation stone was laid on 14 October 1962.The bell that calls members to worship now is the same bell from the belfry of the first church.

Read More

North Balwyn, VIC - St Aiden's Uniting

North Balwyn, VIC - St Aiden's Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: 17 Duggan Street, , North Balwyn Victoria,

The Methodist Church, desirous of providing a place of worship in the (new) area, had bought land in Winmallee Road, which was later sold in favour of a block on Doncaster Road purchased for 480 plus solicitors' fees and other expenses amounting to 8.10.3! On 23rd February 1940 five men met at the Canterbury Parsonage under the…

Read More

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Nuriootpa, SA - St Petri Lutheran

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner First & Second Street, , Nuriootpa South Australia, 5355

The first St Petri church was opened in 1867. The tower was built in 1927 and a new church replaced the first church in 1961.

Read More

Poowong, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Poowong, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1962

Address: Poowong Ranceby Road, , Poowong Victoria, 3988

Land around Poowong was opened up for selection in 1874. The Foundation stone for the current church was laid on 31 May 1962 by the right Reverend D.A. Garnsey Bishop of Gippsland.

Read More

Portarlington, VIC - Uniting

Portarlington, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1962

Address: Corner Newcombe & Fisher Streets, , Portarlington Victoria, 3223

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. The Foundation stone of this Church was laid on 18 February 1962 by Mrs G. Brown. The Architect was Messrs G E Drinnan and Associates of Geelong.

Read More

Red Hill, VIC - St Georges Anglican

Red Hill, VIC - St Georges Anglican

Year Built: 1979

Address: 201 Arthurs Seat Road, , Red Hill Victoria, 3937

In March 1948 the first recorded Anglican service took place when the priest from the Parish of Flinders celebrated Holy Communion in the Mechanic's Hall, Red Hill. St. George's was adopted as the name for the future church. The current church was dedicated by the Regional Bishop on Dedication Day in 1979.

Read More

Regent, VIC - Baptist

Regent, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1964

Address: High Street, , Regent Victoria, 3073

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 April 1964 by the Reverend T.F. Keyte General Superintendent Baptist Union of Victoria. The Architect was Keith Reid and the church was built by J Newbold.

Read More

Reservoir, VIC - St George's Anglican

Reservoir, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: Corner of Ralph & Byfield Streets, , Reservoir Victoria, 3073

The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Archbishop of Melbourne the Most Reverend Frank Woods M.A. D.D. on 14 November 1964.

Read More

Ringwood, VIC - Uniting

Ringwood, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1963

Address: 30 - 32 Station Street, , Ringwood Victoria, 3134

There are several foundation stones installed in the church building which read. This stone was laid to the glory of God by E.W. Greenwood Esq M.L.A. 23 February 1918. This stone was laid to the glory of God by Rev E. J. Little in token of the children's part in the building of this church. To the Glory of God this stone was laid…

Read More

Riverton, SA - Uniting

Riverton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: Moorhouse Terrace, , Riverton South Australia, 5412

Formerly the Pioneer Methodist church the Foundation stone was laid in May 1964.

Read More

Rosanna, VIC - St Martin of Tours Catholic

Rosanna, VIC - St Martin of Tours Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 292 Lower Plenty Road, , Rosanna Victoria, 3084

The idea of a Church in Rosanna was formed on the Macleod railway station in 1954 and the first meeting of the Macleod Catholic building group was held in the pavilion of the Macleod Rosanna football ground. Early services were held in the Rosanna Macleod RSL hall. Search for a parish site began in early 1956. Four blocks of land in…

Read More

Rosanna, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Rosanna, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1966

Address: Bellevue Avenue, , Rosanna Victoria, 3084

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 April 1966. The church has now closed.

Read More

Rosebud, VIC - All Saint's Anglican

Rosebud, VIC - All Saint's Anglican

Year Built: 1963

Address: Corner Point Nepean Road & Sixth Street, , Rosebud Victoria, 3939

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 March 1963 by the Archbishop of Brighton G.H. Codrington M.A. The Architects were Wystan Widdows and David Caldwell. The Church was built by Richard Lumley.

Read More

Rutherglen, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Rutherglen, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1963

Address: 82 High Street, , Rutherglen Victoria, 3685

A Foundation stone on the church reads, " St Mary's Church consecrated by th e Most Reverend Bernard D. Stewart D.D. A.L.L.B. Bishop of Sandhurst opened for the public worship of God and the honour of the blessed Virgin by the same Bishop September 15th 1963 Rev Francis J Owens Pastor". A Latin foundation stone reads "ecclesiae s.…

Read More

Rye, VIC - St David's Presbyterian

Rye, VIC - St David's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1969

Address: Lyons Street, , Rye Victoria, 3941

Early services were held in the original hall, church and school and may have commenced as early as 1870.* Construction of the first church was commenced in 1904 and built by Mr William Joseph Croad. The first service on the current site was held in 1901. A wooden church was built in 1904 and replaced by the current one in 1969.*…

Read More

Sandrinham, VIC Church of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Sandrinham, VIC Church of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1974

Address: 13 Fernhill Road, , Sandringham Victoria, 3191

The first church building was blessed in 1906 and was initially a part of St James Parish Elsternwick. In 1914 Sacred Heart became a Parish in its own right. The present church was opened in 1974 and underwent a major renovation in 2010. A Foundation stone reads, " Church of the Sacred Heart this Memorial stone was laid by his Grace…

Read More

Seacliff, SA - All Saints Anglican

Seacliff, SA - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1964

Address: Corner Brighton Road & Lamington Avenue, , Seacliff South Australia, 5049

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 April 1964 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed Bishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Seacliff, SA - Living Water's Presbyterian

Seacliff, SA - Living Water's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1963

Address: 29 Kaurie Parade, , Seacliff South Australia, 5049

The Foundation stone on the current building was laid on 3 February 1963 by the Right Reverend J.D. Bentley B.A. The Church Hall which was the original Church building was erected in 1924. That foundation stone was laid on 9 August 1924.

Read More

Seaton, SA - Baptist

Seaton, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1980

Address: 183 Trimmer Parade, , Seaton South Australia, 5023

The Church was opened for worship on 5 March 1980.

Read More

Seaton, SA - Uniting

Seaton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1972

Address: Corner Squires & Owen Avenues, , Seaton South Australia, 5023

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 April 1972.

Read More

Shepparton, VIC - Christ the King Catholic

Shepparton, VIC - Christ the King Catholic

Year Built: 1970

Address: 18 Hamilton Street, , Shepparton Victoria, 3630

The Foundation stone was laid on 19 July 1970 by the most Reverend B.D. Stewart D.D.Bishop of Sandhurst.

Read More

Snowtown, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Snowtown, SA - St Luke's Lutheran

Year Built: 1966

Address: Tenth Street, , Snowtown South Australia, 5520

The first Lutheran settler in the Snowtown area was Gottlieb Ferdinand Welke who settled there in 1873. More families arrived in later years and formed the Condowie congregation. However the first Lutheran services in Snowtown were conducted in 1951 by Pastor R.F. Blaess of Balaclava under the ELCA banner. Numbers were small and…

Read More

Snug, TAS - St John's Anglican

Snug, TAS - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1969

Address: Frost Street, , Snug Tasmania, 7054

In 1927 the Church was built and was dedicated in April 1927 having cost £400. In 1967 St. John's was burnt down in disasterous bush fires. In 1969 the new brick modern design was constructed in April. The church cost $28,000 and was designed by Harry Oldmeadow. It has a cross of burnt timber. The Church is now closed.

Read More

Somerton Park, SA - St Philip's Anglican

Somerton Park, SA - St Philip's Anglican

Year Built: 1972

Address: 290 Brighton Road, , Somerton Park South Australia, 5044

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 June 1972 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed Bishop of Adelaide.

Read More

South Launceston, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

South Launceston, TAS - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 2 Hobart Road, , South Launceston Tasmania, 7249

Tenders were called for the erection of a new church (8 being received in all) and, upon the recommendation of the architect, that of E. Lewis and Sons (Roy and Geoff) at a figure, of £21,995 was accepted. A loan with the M. L. C. Assurance Company Ltd. was negotiated for £15,000 under the guarantee of the Diocese. A Foundation stone…

Read More

St Marys, TAS - St Mary's of the Assumption

St Marys, TAS - St Mary's of the Assumption

Year Built: 1975

Address: 76 Main Street, , St Marys Tasmania, 7215

A Foundation stone reads, "The Most Rev G Young D.D. Archbishop of Hobart blessed this stone of the new St Mary's built by the people from the ashes of the old 9th May 1975".

Read More

Stanhope, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Stanhope, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1967

Address: Brand Street, , Stanhope Victoria, 3623

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 July 1967 by the Bishop of Bendigo the Right Reverend R.E. Richards M.A.

Read More

Strathpine, QLD - St Faith's Anglican

Strathpine, QLD - St Faith's Anglican

Year Built: 1980

Address: 1 Sutherland Drive, , Strathpine Queensland, 4500

The Church was dedicated on 8 April 1980 by the Assistant Bishop of Brisbane R.E. Wicks.

Read More

Strathpine, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Strathpine, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Year Built: 1980

Address: Marshall Street, , Strathpine Queensland, 4500

Read More

Tanunda, SA - St Aidan's Anglican

Tanunda, SA - St Aidan's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: Corner Murray & Fiedler Streets, , Tanunda South Australia, 5352

The Foundation stone was laid on 4 June 1961 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed Bishop of Adelaide.

Read More

Terang, VIC - Thomas the Apostle Catholic

Terang, VIC - Thomas the Apostle Catholic

Year Built: 1972

Address: Warrnambool Road, , Terang Victoria, 3264

The Foundation stone of the first church was laid on 26 April 1868 by Dr Fitzpatrick assisted by Dean Slattery and Reverend Simon Riordan. The Church was dedicated and opened on 9 May 1869 by Bishop Gould.* By 1900 the church had out grown its time as the population had increased. Father Herbert initiated a meeting to investigate the…

Read More