Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Year built: between 1961 and 1980


Thornbury, VIC - St James the Great Anglican

Thornbury, VIC - St James the Great Anglican

Year Built: 1976

Address: Pender Street, , Thornbury Victoria, 3071

A Foundation stone was laid on 2 October 1976 by the most Reverend Frank Woods K.B.E. D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne. Another Foundation stone was laid on 8 June 1969 by Robert Dann Archdeacon. The builder recorded on this stone was A.F.K. Block and the Architect was M.J. Flynn.

Read More

Tintinara, SA - Uniting

Tintinara, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: Wendt Terrace, , Tintinara South Australia, 5266

The Church was built by and for the Parkin Mission for the Congregational Church in 1966 replacing its former building which was purchased and used by the CWA. Early in the 20th Century the Congregationalists and the Methodists agreed that in towns along the Dukes highway between Tailem Bend and Bordertown would be serviced by the…

Read More

Toowoomba, QLD - Good Shepherd Lutheran

Toowoomba, QLD - Good Shepherd Lutheran

Year Built: 1963

Address: Glenvale Road, , Toowoomba Queensland, 4350

A Foundation stone was laid on 14 July 1963 by Pastor K. Marquart.

Read More

Torquay, VIC - St Therese Catholic

Torquay, VIC - St Therese Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: Geelong Road, , Torquay Victoria, 3228

In 1958 the small congregation of Catholics of Torquay decided to build a church. Till that time priests from St Mary’s in Geelong and later from St Bernard’s in Belmont had celebrated Mass irregularly in the Torquay Improvement Association Hall.

Read More

Ulverstone, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

Ulverstone, TAS - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1961

Address: 4 Alexandra Road, , Ulverstone Tasmania, 7315

In 1961, seventy-five years after the opening of Ulverstone’s first Catholic church a modern church was built on a site opposite the old building. A Foundation stone reads, " This church erected by the Catholic people of Ulverstone in honour of the sacred heart of Jesus was solomly blessed and opened by his grace the Archbishop of Hobart…

Read More

Unley, SA - Greek Orthodox

Unley, SA - Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1962

Address: 50 Oxford Terrace, , Unley South Australia, 5061

The Foundation stone was laid on 25 February 1962 by his Grace Archbishop Ezekiel.

Read More

Vermont South, VIC - Holy Name Anglican

Vermont South, VIC - Holy Name Anglican

Year Built: 1978

Address: 474 Burwood Highway, , Vermont South Victoria,

There are two Foundation stones on the building, one reads, "To the Glory of God, This Parish Centre was dedicated to the Honour of the most Holy name of Jesus on Sunday 17 December 1978 by the Archbishop of Melbourne The Most Reverend Robert W. Dann B.A. THL". The second foundation stone reads, " In Commemoration of major extensions to…

Read More

Vermont, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Vermont, VIC - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 553 Mitcham Road, , Vermont Victoria, 3133

The foundation stone of a small Church to be called the Church of St.Clement was laid by the Dean of Melbourne in a rural district about our miles beyond the school-house at Nunawading.. That extract from the Churc of England Messenger of June, 1872, marks the first step towards the establishment of a Church at Vermont. The Nunawading…

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - Bethlehem Lutheran

Wagga Wagga, NSW - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1972

Address: Athol Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

In 1969 the Bethlehem congregation was formed in Wagga on May 4, following the dissolving of the Our Redeemer (ELCA) and St Paul’s (UELCA) congregations. By 1973 the Bethlehem Lutheran Church was dedicated on Palm Sunday. The Foundation stone was laid on 8 October 1972 by Pastor R.K. Schmidt.

Read More

Warracknabeal, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Warracknabeal, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: Corner Lyle & Anderson Street, , Warracknabeal Victoria, 3393

Prior to 1875 Priests from Ararat serviced this part of Victoria as there was no established Catholic Church. Services were held in Scots Wool Shed and the local Court House.* On 21 st November, 1885, an advertisement appeared in the Warracknabeal Newspaper inviting "Tenders for builders for erection of brick Catholic Church".* On 4…

Read More

Warrandyte, VIC - St Gerard's Catholic

Warrandyte, VIC - St Gerard's Catholic

Year Built: 1976

Address: Cementery Road, , Warrandyte Victoria, 3113

The the first Catholic mass in Warrandyte was celebrated in 1898 and in Park Orchards at the Park Orchards Chalet in 1965, it was not until June 28, 1970 that St Gerard’s and St Anne’s was officially declared a parish. Erected in 1976 and blessed by the Most Reverend Thomas Francis Little S.T.D on 29 August. The first Mass was…

Read More

West Beach, SA - Baptist

West Beach, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1966

Address: Burbridge Road, , West Beach South Australia, 5024

The Foundation stone was laid on 7 November 1965 by Reverend Leslie Gomm.

Read More

West Wyalong, NSW - Lutheran

West Wyalong, NSW - Lutheran

Year Built: 1968

Address: 15 Park Street, , West Wyalong New South Wales, 2671

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 September 1968 by Reverend N.C. Sander.

Read More

Windsor Gardens, SA - Uniting

Windsor Gardens, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1965

Address: Pitman Road, , Windsor Gardens South Australia, 5087

A Foundation stone was laid on 4 July 1965 which read, "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by W.H. & B.C. Pitman Foundation members of the Gillies Plains Methodist Church Trust on 4th July 1965.

Read More

Wonthaggi, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Wonthaggi, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1977

Address: Dowling Street, , Wonthaggi Victoria, 3995

Opened on 11 December 1977 by the Most Reverend A.F. Fox D.D. Bishop of Sale. The Architect was A.A. Klimas B. Arch and the Builder was Coldon Homes Pty Ltd.

Read More

Wooloowin, QLD - Holy Cross Catholic

Wooloowin, QLD - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1968

Address: 69 Chalk Street, , Wooloowin Queensland, 4030

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 June 1968 by the Most Reverend P.M. O'Donnell Archbishop of Brisbane.

Read More

Wycheproof, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Wycheproof, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 45 Webster Street, , Wycheproof Victoria, 3527

The first Church built at Mount Wycheproof was the Roman Catholic church, it was opened with great celebration on Easter Monday April 2nd 1877. The Catholic school attached to the current Church was opened in 1954. A Foundation stone reads, "Blessed by Most Rev J.P. O'Collins Bishop of Ballarat 19 Nov 1967. Men of Parish G.A. Egan…

Read More

Wycheproof, VIC - Uniting

Wycheproof, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1961

Address: 52 High Street, , Wycheproof Victoria, 3527

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid by C.K. Daws on 25 March 1961. The Churches one foundation is Jesus Christ Her Lord, Minister Rev. D. Rayment."

Read More

Wynyard, TAS - Baptist

Wynyard, TAS - Baptist

Year Built: 1972

Address: 31 Hogg Street, , Wynyard Tasmania, 7325

A Foundation stone reads, "To the glory of God this stone was unveiled by the Rev John Robinson the President of Baptist Union of Tasmania 23-9-1972. Minister Rev D.L. Johnson".

Read More

Yarrawonga, VIC - St Cuthbert's Anglican

Yarrawonga, VIC - St Cuthbert's Anglican

Year Built: 1966

Address: 41 Piper Street, , Yarrawonga Victoria, 3730

Until 1884, when the first St. Cuthbert’s church was built, divine services were conducted in schools at Yarrawonga, Boomahnoomoonah, Tungamah, Youarang North, Pelluebla South and Lake Rowan by Reverend A. T. Hayhow and Reverend L. R. West (the first Rector of Yarrawonga, from 1880, appointed by the Bishop of Melbourne). By 1882 there…

Read More

Young, NSW - Baptist

Young, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1965

Address: 76 Nasmyth Street, , Young New South Wales, 2594

The Foundation stone was laid on 26 June 1965 by N.A. Wales President of the Baptist Union on NSW.

Read More

Zillmere, QLD - St Matthias Anglican

Zillmere, QLD - St Matthias Anglican

Year Built: 1965

Address: 74 Murphy Road, , Zillmere Queensland, 4034

The Foundation stone was laid on 28 August 1965 by the 5th Archbishop of Brisbane Philip Nigel.

Read More