Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1971 and 1980


Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Year Built: 1980

Address: 4 Fahey's Road East, , Albany Creek Queensland, 4035

It was on 4 January 1986 that the Church became a Parish in its own right. Previously the Parish was part of Our Lady and St Dympna’s Parish, Aspley and the Holy Spirit Parish, Pine Rivers. Some three or four years prior to its founding as a Parish, the Brisbane Archdiocese purchased our Parish land in Fahey’s Road, Albany Creek, with…

Read More

Albany Creek, QLD - Uniting

Albany Creek, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1980

Address: 652 Albany Creek Road, , Albany Creek Queensland, 4035

Read More

Ashgrove, QLD - St Michael's Catholic

Ashgrove, QLD - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1974

Address: 250 Banks Street, , Ashgrove Queensland, 4060

A Foundation stone reads, " Church of Saint Michael Dorrington This Foundation stone was laid and blessed by his Grace Most Rev Francis Rush D.D. Archbishop of Brisbane 1st December 1974. Rev G.N. Lahiffe CS Sp PP".

Read More

Boronia, VIC - Church of Christ

Boronia, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1977

Address: 59 Boronia Road, , Boronia Victoria, 3155

The church was first established in 1921 at the first building was opened on October 30 of the same year. The current building was erected in 1977 and opened on 8 October. A fire in 1991 damaged the building and it was reopened 1 September 1991.*

Read More

Boronia, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Boronia, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1971

Address: Corner Dorset Road & William Street, , Boronia Victoria, 3155

In 1923 the Boronia parish was part of the Ferntree Gully District. By 1937 the Ferntree Gully district was split into two. St Paul's remained part of this District.* In 1938 services were held in the Progress Hall by Reverend Brown. It seems they held services in a hall in Whitehorse Raod Ringwood which they later purchased for 25.00…

Read More

Box Hill, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Box Hill, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1971

Address: Hopetoun Parade Road, , Box Hill Victoria, 3128

The Foundation stone was laid on 10 October 1971.

Read More

Bundaberg West, QLD - Good Shepherd Anglican

Bundaberg West, QLD - Good Shepherd Anglican

Year Built: 1974

Address: George Street, , Bundaberg West Queensland, 4670

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was set by Felix Arnott Archbishop 24th February 1974 - Rev Canon M.A. Paxton Hall he Rector - N.H. Brown W Butson Builders".

Read More

Carina, QLD - Our Lady of Graces Catholic

Carina, QLD - Our Lady of Graces Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 100 Mayfield Road, , Carina Queensland, 4152

The present Church and Priory complex was constructed in 1973 and solemnly Blessed and opened on Sunday 25 March 1973 by the most Rev Archbishop P.W. O'Donnell, DD. His Lordship Bishop E.J. Crawford, DD consecrated and dedicated the complex at 11.00am on 7 September 1975. The cost of the complex at that time was three hundred and…

Read More

Charters Towers, QLD - St Columba's Catholic

Charters Towers, QLD - St Columba's Catholic

Year Built: 1972

Address: Church Street, , Charters Towers Queensland, 4820

A plaque reads, " This stone was blessed by The Most Rev L. Faulkiner Bishop of Townsville on 3rd September 1972 in the Centenary year of St Columba's Parish 1872 - 1972".

Read More

Cleveland, QLD - St James Lutheran

Cleveland, QLD - St James Lutheran

Year Built: 1971

Address: 31 Waterloo Street, , Cleveland Queensland, 4163

A Foundation stone reads, " St James Lutheran Peace Memorial Church To the Glory of God 23rd May 1971".

Read More

Coffs Harbour, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Coffs Harbour, NSW - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1972

Address: 2 McLean Street, , Coffs Harbour New South Wales, 2450

Land at McLean Street allowed minimum development of a new church and the planned vicarage it seems that the new St John's had been built alongside the little St. John's to allow continuity of services. Diocesan records show that St. John's was built on Lots 1-30 which allowed for a vicarage. The architect/designer's name was Grant. The…

Read More

Colac, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Colac, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1980

Address: Corner Calvert & Gellibrand Streets, , Colac Victoria, 3250

On February 7 1850 Reverend Nicholas Coffey applied for two acres of land in Colac for the purposes of a Church, Scholl and a clergy residence. By March of the same year approval had been given by the Colonial Secretaries office in Sydney. The population in the Colac region in 1851 was 1,199 residents. 1980. Architect was Brian Dowling.*

Read More

Coolah, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Coolah, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 28 - 30 Church Street, , Coolah New South Wales, 2843

The Original Church which is now part of the Catholic School had its Foundation stone laid by Dr Dunne Bishop of Bathurst on 9th July 1905.

Read More

Cootamundra, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Cootamundra, NSW - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1972

Address: Bourke Street, , Cootamundra New South Wales, 2590

The first Church was of sawn slabs. This was pulled down and re-erected as a Mission Church at South Cootamundra, whilst a further Church was built of galvanised iron and was put up and served as a Church. This still exists as an adjunct to the parish hail. The second Church was built in 1877, dedicated on 12/7/1878 and consecrated by…

Read More

Cowes, VIC - St John's Uniting

Cowes, VIC - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1975

Address: 86 Chapel Street, , Cowes Victoria, 3922

In 1869, soon after the town was surveyed, this section of land was granted to the Presbyterian Church. Church Services began before Christmas 1889. These services were held in the open air, according to Mr. Robb, under a gum tree, though some years later an elderly member of the church and of its Board of Management reported that she…

Read More

Dalby, QLD - St Mark's Lutheran

Dalby, QLD - St Mark's Lutheran

Year Built: 1973

Address: Condamine Street, , Dalby Queensland, 4405

The Foundation stone was laid 12 August 1973.

Read More

Dubbo, NSW - St Mark's Lutheran

Dubbo, NSW - St Mark's Lutheran

Year Built: 1978

Address: 80 MacLeay Street, , Dubbo New South Wales, 2830

Services were held variously in the Methodist Church Hall, Church Street, Dubbo; the Methodist church in South Dubbo; St Michael's Anglican Church, South Dubbo; and St Luke's Anglican Church, North Dubbo; before building the present church in 1978. The laying of the Foundation Stone was on 17th September 1978 by Pastor Peter Hartwich,…

Read More

Dunedoo, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Dunedoo, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 59 Tucklan Street, , Dunedoo New South Wales, 2844

A Foundation stone reads, " St Michael's War Memorial Church solemnly blessed and opened by the Bishop of Bathurst A.R.E. Thomas D.D. Sunday March 14, 1971".

Read More

Eudunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Eudunda, SA - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1979

Address: Corner Hanna & Kapunda Streets, , Eudunda South Australia, 5374

A congregation was formed at Emmaus in 1870 by Pastor E.D. Appelt of the Nain-Gnadenberg Parish. The first service was held in the home of Mr. C. Ziersch. A church was built in 1872 at Emmaus during the ministry of Pastor R. Ey and an adjoining school was also built. Eudunda, which had originated with a wine store on busy cross roads…

Read More

Fawkner, VIC - St Mark's Catholic

Fawkner, VIC - St Mark's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 9 Lee Street, , Fawkner Victoria,

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was blessed by Archbishop James R. Knox 29.4.1971 - Rev J Noonan P.P.".

Read More

Gatton, QLD - Lutheran

Gatton, QLD - Lutheran

Year Built: 1978

Address: 85 Spencer Street, , Gatton Queensland, 4343

The church was opened and dedicated on 16 April 1978.

Read More

George Town, TAS - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

George Town, TAS - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1978

Address: 35 Goulburn Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

A small band of soldiers and a handful of convicts formed the congregation at George Town's first Mass, celebrated on June 1, 1821, by Tasmania's pioneer priest, Father Philip Conolly. For a century and a half, the little holiday town seemed lazily quiescent, only to come alive at holiday time when a horde of sun-worshippers from…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - Calvery Lutheran

Greensborough, VIC - Calvery Lutheran

Year Built: 1978

Address: 1 Oldstead Road, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The original church was in Briar Hill from 1954 to 1969 and then Montmorency from 1970 to 1977. By the end of 1973, one acre of land had been purchased in Greensborough. Towards the end of 1974, a congregational member purchased a further 3½ acres on the corner of Diamond Creek and Oldstead Roads. A foundation stone dated 29 October…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: Grimshaw Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The land on which the church resides was originally owned by Mrs Edith Santon. She did not want it sold and subdivided. The first services were held in the Santon homestead in 1952. The house was later to be used as the Presbytery until about 1970. By 1954 work commenced on five school buildings and completed and opened in 1955 by…

Read More

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 1 Cullavin Street, , Gunning New South Wales, 2581

The first church was erected on this site in 1859. The current church was erected in 1973. The Foundation stone was laid on 9 September 1973 by Archbishop Thomas V Cahill.

Read More

Hanwood, NSW - St Anthony Catholic

Hanwood, NSW - St Anthony Catholic

Year Built: 1972

Address: Ash Street, , Hanwood New South Wales, 2680

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 December 1972 by the Most Reverend F.P. Carroll D.D Bishop of Wagga Wagga.

Read More

Kingsford, NSW - St Spyridon Greek Orthodox

Kingsford, NSW - St Spyridon Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1973

Address: 78 Gardeners Road, , Kingsford New South Wales, 2032

Daceyville was Crown land in the 1880's and was named Raggetty Flat. In January of 1913, the Government Housing Board asked Archbishop Kelly if the Catholic Church was interested in participating in a ballot for sites to erect religious buildings in the then named Dacey Garden Suburb. The Archbishop accepted the invitation and the…

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Leeton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1973

Address: Corner Church & Oak Streets, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

The first Church was opened in 1915. Its foundation stone was laid in 1913 and was constructed of sun dired mud bricks. The Foundation stone of the next Church was laid on 3 March 1973 by the Right Reverend B.R. Hunter Bishop of Riverena.

Read More

Lithgow, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Lithgow, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1977

Address: 69 Lett Street, , Lithgow New South Wales, 2790

A Foundation stone reads, " St Patrick's Church was solemnly blessed by Most Rev A.R.E. Thomas D.D. Bishop of Bathurst on 17th April 1977 - Rt Rev MGR J. Sexton Pastor Rev T. Ryan Associate".

Read More

Mackay, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Mackay, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1972

Address: 44 Wellington Street, , Mackay Queensland, 4740

A plaque reads, " To the Glory of God St Paul's Lutheran Church Peace Memorial Original Church Peel Street Dedicated 1879 second church this site dedicated 19-6-1898 - This Church dedicated 9-4-1972".

Read More

Meeniyan, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Meeniyan, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 4 Geale Street, , Meeniyan Victoria, 3956

The Church was opened by the Most Reverend Arthur Fox D.D. Bishop of Sale on 11 July 1971.

Read More

Melba, ACT - Uniting

Melba, ACT - Uniting

Year Built: 1973

Address: Kingsford Smith Drive, , Melba Australian Capital Territory, 2615

Services began in March 1973 at the Melba Primary School as a joint venture with local Anglicans and Non Conformists. This association was dissolved in 1982. By 1989 the new Parish Centre was under construction and was completed the following year.*

Read More

Morphett Vale, SA - St Mary's help of Christians Catholic

Morphett Vale, SA - St Mary's help of Christians Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 3 Venning Street, , Morphett Vale South Australia, 5162

The first Roman Catholic Church erected in South Australia was St Mary's, Morphett Vale, on a site given by Mr A Anderson. It was dedicated by Bishop Murray on 8 December 1844. Built of local stone, the foundation stone was laid July 1845, opened 1846. Nave and chancel erected about twenty years later. The roof is now corrugated…

Read More

North Mackay, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

North Mackay, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1976

Address: 21 Grendon Street, , Mackay Queensland, 4740

A plaque reads, " This Church dedicated to St Joseph was blessed and Officially opened by Most Reverend Bernard Wallace D.D. Bishop of Rockhampton on November 7th 1976".

Read More

Red Hill, VIC - St Georges Anglican

Red Hill, VIC - St Georges Anglican

Year Built: 1979

Address: 201 Arthurs Seat Road, , Red Hill Victoria, 3937

In March 1948 the first recorded Anglican service took place when the priest from the Parish of Flinders celebrated Holy Communion in the Mechanic's Hall, Red Hill. St. George's was adopted as the name for the future church. The current church was dedicated by the Regional Bishop on Dedication Day in 1979.

Read More

Rosanna, VIC - St Martin of Tours Catholic

Rosanna, VIC - St Martin of Tours Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 292 Lower Plenty Road, , Rosanna Victoria, 3084

The idea of a Church in Rosanna was formed on the Macleod railway station in 1954 and the first meeting of the Macleod Catholic building group was held in the pavilion of the Macleod Rosanna football ground. Early services were held in the Rosanna Macleod RSL hall. Search for a parish site began in early 1956. Four blocks of land in…

Read More

Sandringham, VIC Church of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Sandringham, VIC Church of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1974

Address: 13 Fernhill Road, , Sandringham Victoria, 3191

The first church building was blessed in 1906 and was initially a part of St James Parish Elsternwick. In 1914 Sacred Heart became a Parish in its own right. The present church was opened in 1974 and underwent a major renovation in 2010. A Foundation stone reads, " Church of the Sacred Heart this Memorial stone was laid by his Grace…

Read More

Seaton, SA - Baptist

Seaton, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1980

Address: 183 Trimmer Parade, , Seaton South Australia, 5023

The Church was opened for worship on 5 March 1980.

Read More

Seaton, SA - Uniting

Seaton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1972

Address: Corner Squires & Owen Avenues, , Seaton South Australia, 5023

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 April 1972.

Read More

Somerton Park, SA - St Philip's Anglican

Somerton Park, SA - St Philip's Anglican

Year Built: 1972

Address: 290 Brighton Road, , Somerton Park South Australia, 5044

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 June 1972 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed Bishop of Adelaide.

Read More