Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1971 and 1980


Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: Grimshaw Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The land on which the church resides was originally owned by Mrs Edith Santon. She did not want it sold and subdivided. The first services were held in the Santon homestead in 1952. The house was later to be used as the Presbytery until about 1970. By 1954 work commenced on five school buildings and completed and opened in 1955 by…

Read More

Greystanes, NSW - Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic

Greystanes, NSW - Our Lady Queen of Peace Catholic

Year Built: 1975

Address: 198 Old Prospect Road, , Greystanes New South Wales, 2145

The Church was built when Fr Roland Darmenia was Parish Priest. It was blessed and opened by His Eminence, Sir James Darcy Cardinal Freeman on 20th April, 1975. After extensive renovations it was solemnly dedicated by Bishop Bede Heather on 7th July, 1996.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - Baptist

Griffith, NSW - Baptist

Year Built: 1971

Address: Corner Wakaden & Whitton Streets, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

First services were held in the Lyceum Theatre and private homes. By the first annual meeting 14th Aug 1925 land on the corner of Wakaden and Whitton Streets had been secured and the Church was being built. The first Church was opened on 18th - 20th January 1926. The Church with a front vestibule and two vestries at the back of the…

Read More

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 1 Cullavin Street, , Gunning New South Wales, 2581

‘A rubblestone Catholic Church was built in 1860 under the leadership of Rev. Michael McAlroy of Yass. A resident priest, Father Gaffey was appointed in 1880, which established the parish and served other village churches at Collector, Breadalbane and Gurrundah. The Sisters of Mercy arrived in 1901 to conduct a school. They erected a new…

Read More

Gymea, NSW - Anglican

Gymea, NSW - Anglican

Year Built: 1973

Address: 131 Gymea Bay Road, , Gymea New South Wales, 2227

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God This stone was set by The Right Rev G.R. Delbridge Th Schol Bishop of Wollongong 14th October 1973. N.S. Beckenham W.E. Andrews R.R. East Church Wardens Rev B.C. Wilson ThL Rector".

Read More

Hanwood, NSW - St Anthony Catholic

Hanwood, NSW - St Anthony Catholic

Year Built: 1972

Address: Ash Street, , Hanwood New South Wales, 2680

Tiziano Forlico was the Architect/builder for the Church. It celebrated its 50th year anniversery in 2023. The Foundation stone was laid on 3 December 1972 by the Most Reverend F.P. Carroll D.D Bishop of Wagga Wagga.

Read More

Keysborough, VIC - Resurrection Catholic

Keysborough, VIC - Resurrection Catholic

Year Built: 1974

Address: 402 Corrigan Road, , Keysborough Victoria, 3173

The design for the Church was in part directed by the foreknowledge that the church was also to be used as a community hall. Consequently, supported from the main rooting girder (painted bright yellow) are huge black hufcor (folding) doors which screen oft the altar side of the interior creating a chapel effect on one side and a…

Read More

Kingsford, NSW - St Spyridon Greek Orthodox

Kingsford, NSW - St Spyridon Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1973

Address: 78 Gardeners Road, , Kingsford New South Wales, 2032

Daceyville was Crown land in the 1880's and was named Raggetty Flat. In January of 1913, the Government Housing Board asked Archbishop Kelly if the Catholic Church was interested in participating in a ballot for sites to erect religious buildings in the then named Dacey Garden Suburb. The Archbishop accepted the invitation and the…

Read More

Leeton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Leeton, NSW - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1973

Address: Corner Church & Oak Streets, , Leeton New South Wales, 2705

The first Church was opened in 1915. Its foundation stone was laid in 1913 and was constructed of sun dired mud bricks. The Foundation stone of the next Church was laid on 3 March 1973 by the Right Reverend B.R. Hunter Bishop of Riverena.

Read More

Lithgow, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Lithgow, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1977

Address: 69 Lett Street, , Lithgow New South Wales, 2790

A Foundation stone reads, " St Patrick's Church was solemnly blessed by Most Rev A.R.E. Thomas D.D. Bishop of Bathurst on 17th April 1977 - Rt Rev MGR J. Sexton Pastor Rev T. Ryan Associate".

Read More

Mackay, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Mackay, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1972

Address: 44 Wellington Street, , Mackay Queensland, 4740

The original church was destroyed by cyclone in 1898. A plaque reads, " To the Glory of God St Paul's Lutheran Church Peace Memorial Original Church Peel Street Dedicated 1879 second church this site dedicated 19-6-1898 - This Church dedicated 9-4-1972".

Read More

Meeniyan, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Meeniyan, VIC - St Kevin's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 4 Geale Street, , Meeniyan Victoria, 3956

The Church was opened by the Most Reverend Arthur Fox D.D. Bishop of Sale on 11 July 1971.

Read More

Melba, ACT - Uniting

Melba, ACT - Uniting

Year Built: 1973

Address: Kingsford Smith Drive, , Melba Australian Capital Territory, 2615

Services began in March 1973 at the Melba Primary School as a joint venture with local Anglicans and Non Conformists. This association was dissolved in 1982. By 1989 the new Parish Centre was under construction and was completed the following year.*

Read More

Merrylands, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Merrylands, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1972

Address: 9-11 Ridge Street, , Merrylands New South Wales, 2160

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was set by The Right Rev H.G.S. Beobie BA Bishop in Parramatta April 16 1972".

Read More

Merrylands, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Merrylands, NSW - St Stephen's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1971

Address: 303 Merrylands Road, , Merrylands New South Wales, 2160

A Foundation stone reads, : To the Glory of God this stone was set by the Right Reverend Fred McKay OBE MA BD Moderator General of the Presbyterian Church of Australia this day 8th of May 1971. Gordon C Hayward JP Session Clerk Rev Alan Hewitt Minister".

Read More

Morphett Vale, SA - St Mary's help of Christians Catholic

Morphett Vale, SA - St Mary's help of Christians Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 3 Venning Street, , Morphett Vale South Australia, 5162

The first Roman Catholic Church erected in South Australia was St Mary's, Morphett Vale, on a site given by Mr A Anderson. It was dedicated by Bishop Murray on 8 December 1844. Built of local stone, the foundation stone was laid July 1845, opened 1846. Nave and chancel erected about twenty years later. The roof is now slate tiles, walls…

Read More

Mt Barker, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Mt Barker, SA - St Mark's Lutheran

Year Built: 1976

Address: 27 Hampden Street, , Mt Barker South Australia, 5251

The church first commenced its existence as an outreach project from Hahndorf with it first service held on 15 December in the Founders room of the local Mechanics Institute. During 1958 discussions were held with the Home Mission Committee to establish a properly constituted congregation. Also it was decided the Founders room at the…

Read More

North Albury, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

North Albury, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1971

Address: 319 Gulpha Street, , North Albury New South Wales, 2640

Church services originally began in local homes and a committee was formed and funds raised for a new centre in 1956. The Church is of brick and steel construction with a slab floor. The Church was dedicated on 28th March 1971 and consecrated eight years later by Bishop Maxwell Thomas of Wangaratta Diocese on Saint Mark's day 1979.

Read More

North Mackay, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

North Mackay, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1976

Address: 21 Grendon Street, , Mackay Queensland, 4740

A plaque reads, " This Church dedicated to St Joseph was blessed and Officially opened by Most Reverend Bernard Wallace D.D. Bishop of Rockhampton on November 7th 1976".

Read More

Nyah West, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (Former)

Nyah West, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic (Former)

Year Built: 1971

Address: 46 Monash Avenue, , Nyah West Victoria, 3595

A wall plaque reads, " St Joseph's Nyah West is dedicated in grateful thanks and in memory of the gallant members of the Australian Forces who sacrificed their lives in war for a peaceful Australia". A further wall plaque reads, " To the Honour of God St Josephs Church was blessed by Most Rev R.A. Mulkearns D,D, D.C.L. Bishop of Ballarat…

Read More

Red Hill, VIC - St Georges Anglican

Red Hill, VIC - St Georges Anglican

Year Built: 1979

Address: 201 Arthurs Seat Road, , Red Hill Victoria, 3937

In March 1948 the first recorded Anglican service took place when the priest from the Parish of Flinders celebrated Holy Communion in the Mechanic's Hall, Red Hill. St. George's was adopted as the name for the future church. The current church was dedicated by the Regional Bishop on Dedication Day in 1979.

Read More

Rosanna, VIC - St Martin of Tours Catholic

Rosanna, VIC - St Martin of Tours Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 292 Lower Plenty Road, , Rosanna Victoria, 3084

The idea of a Church in Rosanna was formed on the Macleod railway station in 1954 and the first meeting of the Macleod Catholic building group was held in the pavilion of the Macleod Rosanna football ground. Early services were held in the Rosanna Macleod RSL hall. Search for a parish site began in early 1956. Four blocks of land in…

Read More

Sandringham, VIC Church of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Sandringham, VIC Church of the Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1974

Address: 13 Fernhill Road, , Sandringham Victoria, 3191

The first church building was blessed in 1906 and was initially a part of St James Parish Elsternwick. In 1914 Sacred Heart became a Parish in its own right. The present church was opened in 1974 and underwent a major renovation in 2010. A Foundation stone reads, " Church of the Sacred Heart this Memorial stone was laid by his Grace…

Read More

Seaton, SA - Baptist

Seaton, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1980

Address: 183 Trimmer Parade, , Seaton South Australia, 5023

The Church was opened for worship on 5 March 1980.

Read More

Seaton, SA - Uniting

Seaton, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1972

Address: Corner Squires & Owen Avenues, , Seaton South Australia, 5023

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 April 1972.

Read More

Somerton Park, SA - St Philip's Anglican

Somerton Park, SA - St Philip's Anglican

Year Built: 1972

Address: 290 Brighton Road, , Somerton Park South Australia, 5044

The Foundation stone was laid on 11 June 1972 by the Right Reverend T.T. Reed Bishop of Adelaide.

Read More

St Marys, TAS - St Mary's of the Assumption

St Marys, TAS - St Mary's of the Assumption

Year Built: 1975

Address: 76 Main Street, , St Marys Tasmania, 7215

A Foundation stone reads, "The Most Rev G Young D.D. Archbishop of Hobart blessed this stone of the new St Mary's built by the people from the ashes of the old 9th May 1975".

Read More

Stafford Heights, QLD - Baptist

Stafford Heights, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1977

Address: 268 Appleby Road, , Stafford Heights Queensland, 4053

A Foundation stone reads, " This building was opened to the Glory of God during the centenary assembly of the Baptist Union of Queensland by Dr C.R. Goulding Associate Secretary of the Baptist World Alliance on 18th September 1977. Minister L.K. Gower Secretary Mr G.S. Lane".

Read More

Strathpine, QLD - St Faith's Anglican

Strathpine, QLD - St Faith's Anglican

Year Built: 1980

Address: 1 Sutherland Drive, , Strathpine Queensland, 4500

The Church was dedicated on 8 April 1980 by the Assistant Bishop of Brisbane R.E. Wicks.

Read More

Strathpine, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Strathpine, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Year Built: 1980

Address: Marshall Street, , Strathpine Queensland, 4500

Read More

Taringa, QLD - Baptist

Taringa, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1979

Address: 36 Morrow Street, , Taringa Queensland, 4068

The Church was established in 1896. The Church was renovated 1936 and rebuilt in 1979 .

Read More

Terang, VIC - St Thomas the Apostle Catholic

Terang, VIC - St Thomas the Apostle Catholic

Year Built: 1972

Address: Warrnambool Road, , Terang Victoria, 3264

The Foundation stone of the first church was laid on 26 April 1868 by Dr Fitzpatrick assisted by Dean Slattery and Reverend Simon Riordan. The Church was dedicated and opened on 9 May 1869 by Bishop Gould.* By 1900 the church had out grown its time as the population had increased. Father Herbert initiated a meeting to investigate the…

Read More

Texas, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Texas, QLD - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1980

Address: 1 Broadway E, , Texas Queensland, 4385

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this church was consecrated on Sunday 2nd March 1980 by the Most Rev Doctor F. Arnott - Archbishop of Brisbane". A further stone reads, " All Saints Church Texas to the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Most Rev Dr F. R. Arnott Archbishop of Brisbane on Monday 8th October 1979. Vicar…

Read More

The Gap, QLD - St Mark's Anglican

The Gap, QLD - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1978

Address: 1073 Waterworks Road, , The Gap Queensland, 4061

The present Saint Mark’s church building opened in 1978. It was designed by a member of the congregation, architect Neville Lund. A Foundation plaque reads, " To the greater Glory of God this foundation plaque was set by Felix Arnott Archbishop of Brisbane 17th July 1977.

Read More

Thornbury, VIC - St James the Great Anglican

Thornbury, VIC - St James the Great Anglican

Year Built: 1976

Address: Pender Street, , Thornbury Victoria, 3071

A Foundation stone was laid on 2 October 1976 by the most Reverend Frank Woods K.B.E. D.D. Archbishop of Melbourne. Another Foundation stone was laid on 8 June 1969 by Robert Dann Archdeacon. The builder recorded on this stone was A.F.K. Block and the Architect was M.J. Flynn.

Read More

Townsville, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Townsville, QLD - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1974

Address: 119 Wills Street, , Townsville Queensland, 4810

The first meeting of the Committee was held in the Town Hall on 20th March, 1884. Robert Philp presided. (Mr. Philp later on became Premier of Queensland and 'Sir Robert'). At a subsequent meeting held on 22nd April, the Committee decided to proceed with the building of a Church on the land already purchased, cost of same when completed…

Read More

Vermont South, VIC - Holy Name Anglican

Vermont South, VIC - Holy Name Anglican

Year Built: 1978

Address: 474 Burwood Highway, , Vermont South Victoria,

There are two Foundation stones on the building, one reads, "To the Glory of God, This Parish Centre was dedicated to the Honour of the most Holy name of Jesus on Sunday 17 December 1978 by the Archbishop of Melbourne The Most Reverend Robert W. Dann B.A. THL". The second foundation stone reads, " In Commemoration of major extensions to…

Read More

Wagga Wagga, NSW - Bethlehem Lutheran

Wagga Wagga, NSW - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1972

Address: Athol Street, , Wagga Wagga New South Wales, 2650

In 1969 the Bethlehem congregation was formed in Wagga on May 4, following the dissolving of the Our Redeemer (ELCA) and St Paul’s (UELCA) congregations. By 1973 the Bethlehem Lutheran Church was dedicated on Palm Sunday. The Foundation stone was laid on 8 October 1972 by Pastor R.K. Schmidt.

Read More

Warracknabeal, VIC - Our Redeemer Lutheran

Warracknabeal, VIC - Our Redeemer Lutheran

Year Built: 1971

Address: 233 Scott Street, , Warracknabeal Victoria, 3393

The list contains both ELSA and UELCA Pastors. The Church was dedicated on 13 February 1972.

Read More

Warrandyte, VIC - St Gerard's Catholic

Warrandyte, VIC - St Gerard's Catholic

Year Built: 1976

Address: Cementery Road, , Warrandyte Victoria, 3113

The the first Catholic mass in Warrandyte was celebrated in 1898 and in Park Orchards at the Park Orchards Chalet in 1965, it was not until June 28, 1970 that St Gerard’s and St Anne’s was officially declared a parish. Erected in 1976 and blessed by the Most Reverend Thomas Francis Little S.T.D on 29 August. The first Mass was…

Read More