Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name

Year built: between 1981 and 1990


Aireys Inlet, VIC - St Aidans Anglican

Aireys Inlet, VIC - St Aidans Anglican

Year Built: 1986

Address: 27 Great Ocean Road, , Aireys Inlet Victoria, 3231

The Church is part of the Surfcoast Anglican Parish consisting of three parish centres at Torquay, Anglesea and Aireys Inlet. The Church was originally in Bambara Road but was destroyed in the 1983 Ash Wednesday Bush fire. The land was sold and land purchased in the main street. The Church was consecrated by Archbishop David Penman in May…

Read More

Alice Springs, NT - Anglican

Alice Springs, NT - Anglican

Year Built: 1982

Address: 18 Bath Street, , Alice Springs Northern Territory, 0870

Read More

Aranda, ACT - St Vincent De Paul Catholic

Aranda, ACT - St Vincent De Paul Catholic

Year Built: 1982

Address: 7 Bindel Street, , Aranda Australia Capital Territory, 2614

Church ministry was temporarily provided by O’Connor parish. Mass was celebrated at Macquarie Public School. The parish school opened in 1970. Mass was then available in the school hall. A church designed by Terence Daly opened in 1982.

Read More

Avalon Beach, NSW - Barrenjoey Anglican

Avalon Beach, NSW - Barrenjoey Anglican

Year Built: 1982

Address: 1 Kevin Avenue, , Avalon Beach New South Wales, 2107

A Foundation stone of the original church reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by The Most Rev H.W.K. Mowll D.D. Archbishop of Sydney on 17th July 1943 erected in connection with the Anglican Building Crusade". A wall plaque reads, " This Church was dedicated to the Glory of God on Sunday 19th December 1982 by the Most Rev…

Read More

Batemans Bay, NSW Anglican

Batemans Bay, NSW Anglican

Year Built: 1986

Address: 6 Herarde Street, , Batemans Bay New South Wales, 2536

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was set by Bishop Bruce Wilson Assistant Bishop of the Diocese Of Canberra and Wollongong on 7th September 1986".

Read More

Belconnen, ACT - Holy Cross Lutheran

Belconnen, ACT - Holy Cross Lutheran

Year Built: 1985

Address: Corner Emu Bank Road & Eastern Valley Way, , Belconnen Australian Capital Territory, 2617

The Foundation stone was laid on 21 April 1985.

Read More

Benalla, VIC - Lutheran

Benalla, VIC - Lutheran

Year Built: 1987

Address: 154 Waller Street, , Benalla Victoria, 3672

The church was opened and dedicated by Reverend M. V. Jordan President of the Victorian District on 26 April 1987.

Read More

Berwick, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Berwick, VIC - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1984

Address: 125 High Street, , Berwick Victoria, 3806

The first church, built of weatherboard, was erected in 1870. It was originally part of the Brighton Parish. St. Michael's Parish was established in 1956, having previously been part of the parish of Dandenong. In 1956 it became part of the Diocese of Sale. The current Church was opened on 29 April 1984 and was blessed by the Bishop of…

Read More

Biggera Waters, QLD - St James' Anglican

Biggera Waters, QLD - St James' Anglican

Year Built: 1988

Address: 45 Brighton Street, , Biggers Waters Queensland, 4126

A Foundation stone reads, " The Church of St James in the Parochial District of Biggera Waters inaugurated and dedicated by The Right Reverend Ralph E. Wicks O.B.E. Assistant Bishop of Brisbane on 11th May 1988 The Reverend Denis C. Landman M.B.E. Parish Priest Peter Woolley Bert Morris Church Wardens".

Read More

Biloela, QLD - Baptist

Biloela, QLD - Baptist

Year Built: 1987

Address: 1A Valley View Drive, , Biloela Queensland, 4715

The first Baptist church in Biloela was erected at 48 Bell Street during 1954 and 1955. It was 50 by 25 feet, with a flat 30 foot by 25 feet attached. On 5 February 1984 the deacons submitted a plan to the church for the purchase of a new property of two hectares at the corner of Valley View Drive and the Dawson Highway. This was…

Read More

Birchip, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Birchip, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1988

Address: 1 Rundle Street, , Birchip Victoria, 3483

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this Anglican church of St Paul the Apostle was consecrated on 2nd October 1988 by the Rt Revd O.S. Heywood M.A. Bishop of Bendigo (Foundations were blessed on 8th November 1987) This building replaces the original which was dedicated 28 July 1896 by th RT Revd H.E. Cooper M.A. Assistant…

Read More

Bowral, NSW - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Bowral, NSW - St Thomas Aquinas Catholic

Year Built: 1986

Address: 2 Bendooley Street, , Bowral New South Wales, 2576

A plaque reads, St Thomas Aquinas Church Bowral dedicated by the Bishop of Wollongong the Most Reverend William E. Murray DD Dsc. STOC on 9th November 1986 Parish Priest: Father John Higgins PP. Builder: Mr. Barry Howard Design and Project Manager: Mr. -Frank McCormack - Volunteers: with thanks to all."

Read More

Bracken Ridge, QLD - Holy Spirit Anglican

Bracken Ridge, QLD - Holy Spirit Anglican

Year Built: 1988

Address: 103 Denham Street, , Bracken Ridge Queensland, 4017

The Church was dedicated on 7 May 1988 by the Archbishop of Brisbane Reverend John Basil Rowland Grindrod KBE.

Read More

Chatswood, NSW - Church of Christ

Chatswood, NSW - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1983

Address: 365 Victoria Avenue, , Chatswood New South Wales, 2067

A Foundation stone reads, " This building was opened to the Glory of God on Saturday 26th March 1983 replacing the original Chapel built on this site". A further Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid 25th November 1922 to commemorate the erection of this building for the worship of god".

Read More

Clarinda, VIC - St Andrew's Catholic

Clarinda, VIC - St Andrew's Catholic

Year Built: 1989

Address: 76 Springs Road, , Clarinda Victoria, 3169

A Foundation stone reads. " This church of St Andrews was officially blessed and opened by The Most Reverend T.F. Little Archbishop of Melbourne date 8th December 1989 Father Martin Dixon Parish Priest. CD Mason Constructions Pty Ltd Building Contractor Geoffrey Hall Forman Paul Archibald Pty Ltd Architect Enrico Marrone Project…

Read More

Clear Island Waters, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Clear Island Waters, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1986

Address: 50 Fairway Drive, , Clear Island Waters Queensland, 4226

A Foundation stone reads, "This Church dedicated to the Sacred heart of Jesus was blessed and opened by His Grace the Most Reverend F.R. Rush D.D. Archbishop of Brisbane on Sunday 22nd June 1986 Rev O.K. Oxenham DCL OBE Parish Priest Surfers Paridis Broadbeach". A plaque reads, “ The rose window faces the mountains to the west: the…

Read More

Colac, VIC - Presbyterian

Colac, VIC - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1982

Address: 90 Armstrong Street, , Colac Victoria, 3250

The Foundation stone was laid by the Right Reverend C.A. Harrison Moderator of the Presbyterian Church on 20 February 1982.

Read More

Coleambally, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Coleambally, NSW - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1982

Address: 20 Kingfisher Avenue, , Coleambally New South Wales, 2707

The church was opened on 12 December 1982 by the Most Reverend F.P. Carroll D.D. Bishop of Wagga Wagga.

Read More

Cootamundra, NSW - Scots Presbyterian

Cootamundra, NSW - Scots Presbyterian

Year Built: 1983

Address: Corner Parker & Francis Streets, , Cootamundra New South Wales, 2590

The Presbyterians in Cootamundra needed a minister, and the first settled minister to be appointed was a Scotsman, the Rev. J. Dykes Paterson, a minister of the Established Church of Scotland. He was inducted to the charge of Temora-Cootamundra in July 1882. A newspaper report of the day when describing Rev. J. Dykes-Paterson's induction…

Read More

Dapto, NSW - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Dapto, NSW - St John the Evangelist Catholic

Year Built: 1986

Address: 24 Jerramatta Street, , Dapto New South Wales, 2530

A Foundation stone reads, " This Foundation stone of St John the Evangelist Church was blessed and set by The Most Reverend William E. Murray D.D. DSc Sc SOC Bishop of Wollongong on Sunday 28th September 1986. Rev J.T. Ward".

Read More

Diamond Creek, VIC - Uniting

Diamond Creek, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1984

Address: 32 Wensley Street, , Diamond Creek Victoria, 3089

The Diamond Valley Parish traces its origins to the Heidelberg Primitive Methodist Mission, which dates from 1854. The Primitive Methodist Church was a nineteenth century evangelical revival grounded in the teachings of John Wesley. A branch of Methodism, Primitive Methodism originated amongst the poorest farmer labourers and miners of…

Read More

Doncaster, VIC - St Gregory the Great Catholic

Doncaster, VIC - St Gregory the Great Catholic

Year Built: 1983

Address: 71 Williamsons Road, , Doncaster Victoria, 3108

The Church was designed by architect Graeme Law and built by John Bergamin. It was dedicated by Archbishop Little on 17 December, 1983. The main structure of the roof is in the form of a cross and the lighting adds emphasis to it. A plaque on the wall reads, "On the Feast of St. Gregory the Great, to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary…

Read More

Dubbo, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Dubbo, NSW - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1990

Address: 198 Brisbane Street, , Dubbo New South Wales, 2830

The parish of St Brigid's was officially established in 1865 with Father McAuliffe as priest. The original Macquarie Street church was in use until it collapsed during a storm on August 22, 1869. The original St. Brigid’s sandstone church was designed by Mr Edward Gell, a leading architect in the colony, who had been a pupil to the…

Read More

Emerald, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Emerald, QLD - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1983

Address: Corner Yamal & Anakie Streets, , Emerald Queensland, 4720

The Catholic Press of 27th February 1913 records, The new Catholic Emerald Church which was dedicated by Coadjutor Archbishop of Brisbanon Sunday February 16 was opened free of debt. The collection for the day totalled £270, but promises of donations will bring the amount to £300. The Church is lighted with Quirk's air gas. The Rev…

Read More

Endeavour Hills, VIC - St Paul Apostle Catholic

Endeavour Hills, VIC - St Paul Apostle Catholic

Year Built: 1983

Address: 5 William Hovell Drive, , Endeavour Hills Victoria, 3802

A wall plaque reads, "St Paul Apostle Catholic Church is an expression of the faith, and generosity of our Parish family, We acknowledge with gratitude the material assitance this Parish has received from the Archdiocese. It was blessed and opened on 14th August 1983 by Archbishop Frank Little. Twenty Five years later major refurbishment…

Read More

Endeavour Hills, VIC - Uniting

Endeavour Hills, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1986

Address: 1 Hellyer Way, , Endeavour Hills Victoria, 3802

In late 1979 Rev Chris Howard was appointed by the Uniting Church as the first full-time minister for Endeavour Hills and Narre Warren North. In September 1980, the church was located in a community house in Matthew Flinders Avenue. In 1982 Rev Max Smith became the second minister to serve at Endeavour Hills. However, it was not long…

Read More

Everton Hills, QLD - Prince of Peace Lutheran

Everton Hills, QLD - Prince of Peace Lutheran

Year Built: 1986

Address: 20 Rogers Parade W, , Everton Hills Queensland, 4053

Read More

Foster, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Foster, VIC - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1983

Address: 19 O'Connell Road, , Foster Victoria, 3960

The first Church was erected in 1889 of weatherboard and was 50 feet by 25 feet. The builder was Mr Davis and the Architect was Mr C Scanlan. The Church was blessed and consecrated by the Rt Reverend P. O'Donahue on 23rd June 1889. A plaque on the wall of the current Church reads, " This Church of St Joseph was consecrated and Parish…

Read More

Frankston, VIC - St John's Catholic

Frankston, VIC - St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1981

Address: 20 Coral Street, , Frankston Victoria, 3199

A Foundation stone reads, " St Johns Church erected to the Honour and Glory of God by the generosity of the parishioners solemney dedicated on the 6th June 1981 by His Grace Archbishop T.F. Little D.D. W Walsh Pastor".

Read More

Geebung, QLD - Uniting

Geebung, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1983

Address: 59 Simla Avenue, , Geebung Queensland, 4034

A plaque reads, " Geebung Uniting Church This building was dedicated to the Glory of God by the Moderator Dr Lewis Born Lth, MTh Th D 1st October 1983.".

Read More

Grantham Heights, NSW - Uniting

Grantham Heights, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1983

Address: 19 Nipigon Road, , Grantham Heights New South Wales, 2147

On the 14th June 1969 the Church was officially opened. A Foundation stone reads, " Methodist Church of Australasia this stone was laid to the Glory of God by Sir Arthur Rickard KBE July 9th 1927.Minister Rev R.J. Murray Builder Mr P. H. Rogerson". A further foundation stone reads, " Buildings destroyed by fire 13th June 1982 Relaid…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Greensborough, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Year Built: 1986

Address: Diamond Creek Road, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

This church broke away from St Mary's Catholic in Greensborough in 1986.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - Presbyterian

Griffith, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1982

Address: Blumer Road, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

The Foundation stone was laid on 12 June 1982 by The Right Reverend James Mullan Moderator General of the Presbyterian Church.

Read More

Gundagai, NSW - St John's Anglican

Gundagai, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1986

Address: Otway Street, , Gundagai New South Wales, 2722

The earliest ministry in the Gundagai area came from Rev C.F. Brigstoke from Yass The Foundation stone of the church was laid on 19 September 1861 by Right Reverend Barker Lord Bishop of Sydney. Mr George Hart a local resident designed the church. The Church is built of local slate and the roof was originally "battered and shingled and…

Read More

Hamlyn Heights, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Hamlyn Heights, VIC - Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1982

Address: 1 - 3 Taliska Avenue, , Hamlyn Heights Victoria, 3215

A Foundation stone reads, " This Holy Church was erected from funds generously donated by our faithful. The Foundation stone was laid on Sunday 22-11-1981 and was consecrated on Sunday 14-2-1988 by his Eminence Archbishop Stylianos".

Read More

Helensburgh, NSW - Holy Cross Catholic

Helensburgh, NSW - Holy Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1986

Address: 4 McMillan Street, , Helensburgh New South Wales, 2508

From the Churches website an extract reads, "In an old ledger of the Bulli Parish on 13 April 1893 the opening of the Church of Holy Cross at Helensburgh was recorded. Construction took place in two stages, the first commencing in 1890. It is on record that the church cost approximately £150. It was a timber and weatherboard building on…

Read More

Helensvale, QLD - Crosslife Baptist

Helensvale, QLD - Crosslife Baptist

Year Built: 1985

Address: 23 Discovery Drive, , Helensvale Queensland, 4212

The Church was commenced in 1983 and the current building was erected in 3 days in 1985.

Read More

Horsham, VIC - St Michael and St John's Catholic

Horsham, VIC - St Michael and St John's Catholic

Year Built: 1987

Address: Corner Roberts & Urquhart Streets, , Horsham Victoria, 3400

The first Mass to be held in Horsham was in 1857 by visiting Priest Fr. Patrick Madden. The first church was opened by Bishop O'Connor on 12 November 1876, a wooden building facing west to McPherson Street.* The first Catholic church seems to have been built in record time following its establishment as a parish when separated from…

Read More

Inverloch, VIC - Uniting

Inverloch, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1983

Address: 10 Williams Street, , Inverloch Victoria, 3996

In 1890 Mr Jacob Thomas, a Methodist layman from Ballarat, donated a block of land near the Inverloch Jetty for use by the Methodist Church when it should be required. Between 1897 and 1929 services conducted under the Methodist banner were held in the Mechanics Hall. Rev West from Leongatha held fortnightly services, but when he left…

Read More

Kambah, ACT - St Thomas the Apostle Catholic

Kambah, ACT - St Thomas the Apostle Catholic

Year Built: 1984

Address: 37 Boddington Cescent, , Kambah Australian Capital Territory, 2902

‘The first parish priest, Fr. William Kennedy, celebrated the first Mass in Mount Neighbour Primary School hall on 9th February 1975. From the beginning of February 1977, Mass was celebrated in the hall of the newly built parish primary school. After much saving and fundraising the decision was made to build a Church which was opened and…

Read More