Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination


Geelong, VIC - Baptist

Geelong, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1849

Address: Aberdeen Street, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

Services began in Father Matthews Temperance Hall, with Mr S. Trotinan discharging official duties in 1849. The Group purchased a brick hall located off Corio Street at auction on the 29O November 1849. This congregation suffered as a result of Gold Fever and the church died. The remaining few Baptists formed the Particular Baptist Church…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Geelong, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Moorabool & McKillop Streets, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

The oldest Anglican church in Victoria. The Foundation stone was laid on 7 October 1843 by Willian Grant Broughton first Bishop of Australia. A simple Gothic style parish Church dating from 1847, has been described as; the oldest in Victoria in continuous use; and one which is associated with the earliest history of the Anglican Church…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - Church of Christ

Geelong, VIC - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1850

Address: 275 La Trobe Terrace, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

The Free Church of England was formed in the early 1850s by the Reverend G Brough, as a local breakaway group from the Anglican Church in Australia. The church was closed in 1875 and reopened for a short time in 1884. In 1914 the Church of Christ acquired this unusually designed early English Gothic Church, with the most distinctive…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Geelong, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: Corner Sydney Parade & Sydney Avenue, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

Formerly a Presbyterian Church. St. Andrew’s was the first Presbyterian Church in the Western District of Victoria with its minister, the Reverend Andrew Love, being the first resident Minister in Geelong. On 24 August 1839, a public meeting of the subscribers to a proposed Presbyterian church and minister’s dwelling in Geelong was…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Geelong, VIC - St George's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1861

Address: Corner La Trobe Tce & Ryrie Streets, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

St George's Presbyterian Church was formed in 1861 by a breakaway group from the St Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Yarra Street. The large and finely constructed Church reflects the wealth of many of the Church's foundation patrons, which included Francis Ormond and other western district squatters. The Church is a significant and intact…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Geelong, VIC - St John's Lutheran

Year Built: 1837

Address: 165 Yarra Street, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

In October 1837, the first Presbyterian service to be held in Victoria was held in Dr. Alexander Thomson's home by the Rev. James Clow. On the 2nd October 1837, a meeting was called to form a congregation in Geelong. Tenders for the church, designed by Alexander J. Skene, were approved and the foundation stone was laid on the 22nd March…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St Mary's of the Angels Catholic

Geelong, VIC - St Mary's of the Angels Catholic

Year Built: 1842

Address: 136 Yarra Street, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

On 27 November 1842, when a small wooden chapel was erected on Geelong's Yarra Street, thanks to donations from the congregation. This modest hut was one of Geelong's first churches. In 1846 the foundations for a stone church were laid on the present site. The foundation stone was laid by Fr. P.B. Geoghegan and the church was completed…

Read More

Geelong, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Geelong, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1851

Address: 194 LaTrobe Terrace, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

The Church was opened on 15 December 1935 by his Grace the most Reverend Daniel Mannix Archbishop of Melbourne. Click on this link for the full history of the church.

Read More

Geelong, VIC - Wesley Uniting

Geelong, VIC - Wesley Uniting

Address: 100 Yarra Street, , Geelong Victoria, 3220

Formerly the Yarra Street Methodist Church. The Church congregation was established in 1838 and the first church was erected in 1844-46 to design of noted colonial architect Charles Laing. The original Decorated Gothic church, built of brick, was later in 1859 substantially enlarged. The fabric was cement rendered in 1904. The…

Read More

Geeveston, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Geeveston, TAS - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 4690 Huon Highway, Geeveston, Tasmania, 7116

The Church was established in 1864.

Read More

Geeveston, TAS- Community

Geeveston, TAS- Community

Address: 4886 Huon Highway, , Geeveston Tasmania, 7116

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Gembrook, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Gembrook, VIC - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: Main Street, , Gembrook Victoria, 3783

Read More

Gembrook, VIC - St Silas Anglican

Gembrook, VIC - St Silas Anglican

Year Built: 1905

Address: Main Street, , Gembrook Victoria, 3783

The Church was established in 1905.

Read More

George Town, TAS - All Saints Anglican

George Town, TAS - All Saints Anglican

Address: 3 Anne Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

The Original church was Saint Mary Magdalene's. The present Anglican Church is believed to be the fourth one. A chapel was erected in 1832, and used by visiting clergy from Launceston. This was replaced in 1838, and in 1841 the first resident priest was appointed, who was the Revd. J. Walker. Records of sacramental administrations go…

Read More

George Town, TAS - Baptist

George Town, TAS - Baptist

Address: 48 Goulburn Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

Founded in 1958.

Read More

George Town, TAS - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

George Town, TAS - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1978

Address: 35 Goulburn Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

A small band of soldiers and a handful of convicts formed the congregation at George Town's first Mass, celebrated on June 1, 1821, by Tasmania's pioneer priest, Father Philip Conolly. For a century and a half, the little holiday town seemed lazily quiescent, only to come alive at holiday time when a horde of sun-worshippers from…

Read More

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

George Town, TAS - St Andrew's Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: 101 Macquarie Street, , George Town Tasmania, 7253

A Foundation stone reads," To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Right Reverend Allan Martin Moderator of the Presbyterian Church of Tasmania 22nd June 1958".

Read More

Gin Gin, QLD - Redemer Lutheran

Gin Gin, QLD - Redemer Lutheran

Address: 4 Tirroan Road, , Gin Gin Queensland, 4671

Read More

Gisborne, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Gisborne, VIC - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1871

Address: Fisher Street, , Gisborne Victoria, 3437

The church was built in 1871. The Manse was build in 1908 and sold in around 1970.*

Read More

Gisborne, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Gisborne, VIC - St Brigid's Catholic

Year Built: 1855

Address: Aitken Street, , Gisborne Victoria, 3437

In 1855 Father Madden was appointed parish priest of the Blackwood Parish. This consisted of Gisborne, Bacchus Marsh and Ballan.* In 1852 the Vicar General applied for a grant of 2 acres on the corner of Aitken and Fishers Strets to be reserved for a church and school. Michael Brady, a local timer merchant assisted in raising the funds…

Read More

Gisborne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Gisborne, VIC - St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1951

Address: Corner Fisher & Brantome Streets, , Gisborne Victoria, 3437

Founded in 1855. A foundation stone was laid on 21 October 1951 by his Honour Leut General Sir E. F. Herring Chief Justice of Victoria. The Foundation stone has a stone from Canterbury Cathedral inlaid into it. The last service in the old Church was held on 7 February 1949 and they continued in the Masonic Hall until the new Church was…

Read More

Gladfield, QLD - The Immaculate Heart Catholic

Gladfield, QLD - The Immaculate Heart Catholic

Address: Allora Goomburra Road, , Gladfield Queensland, 4370

Read More

Gladstone, SA - St Alban's Anglican

Gladstone, SA - St Alban's Anglican

Address: Sixth Street, , Gladstone South Australia, 5473

Read More

Gladstone, SA - St Peter's Catholic

Gladstone, SA - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1928

Address: 7 West Terrace, , Gladstone South Australia, 5473

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 April 1928 by Reverend A Killian D.D.

Read More

Gladstone, SA - Uniting

Gladstone, SA - Uniting

Address: Corner High & Cross Streets, , Gladstone South Australia, 5473

Read More

Glebe, NSW - St Jame's Catholic

Glebe, NSW - St Jame's Catholic

Year Built: 1878

Address: 2 Woolley Street, , Glebe New South Wales, 2037

The Foundation stone was laid on 7 July 1877 by Archbishop Roger Bede Vaughan. By 1 September 1878, the church of St James, built in the Venetian Gothic style of Pyrmont stone and New Zealand kauri pine and glowing with stained glass, marble, majolica painted tiles, was ready and formally opened.

Read More

Glebe, NSW - St John's Bishopthorp Anglican

Glebe, NSW - St John's Bishopthorp Anglican

Year Built: 1868

Address: Corner St Johns & Glebe Point Road, , Glebe New South Wales, 2037

Built of Sandstone in Norman Romanesque style the church was designed Edmund Blackett, and was opened in 1857. It was opened by Bishop Barker on 21 December 1870. The church was built in 1868-70 to the design of prominent architects Edmund Blacket and John Horbury Hunt, with the vestry and tower, both designed by Cyril Blacket,…

Read More

Glen  Huntly, VIC - St Agnes Anglican

Glen Huntly, VIC - St Agnes Anglican

Year Built: 1924

Address: 112 Booran Road, , Glen Huntly Victoria, 3163

The first church was opened in 1888. The Church was built in 1924 and subsequently to the design of the noted firm of Melbourne architects, Grainger, Little, Barlow and Hawkins. It is historically and aesthetically significant. Of the Italian Romanesque style which is enhanced by the high level of integrity of the place, the…

Read More

Glen Huntly, VIC - St John's Uniting

Glen Huntly, VIC - St John's Uniting

Year Built: 1915

Address: Corner Foster & Glen Huntly Roads, , Glen Huntly Victoria, 3163

The Foundation stone was laid on 14 August 1915 by A.P. Gardiner Esq.

Read More

Glen Iris, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Glen Iris, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting

Address: 1560 Malvern Road, , Glen Iris Victoria, 3146

Formerly known as Mulgrave Uniting Church and now known as St Andrew's Gardiner Uniting. The old St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church (1856), in Rathdowne Street, Carlton was taken down in 1938 and the stones re-erected the following year at the site of the 'new' St. Andrew's on the corner of Burke and Malvern Roads. A Foundation stone…

Read More

Glenelg, SA - St Andrews Uniting

Glenelg, SA - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1879

Address: 92 Jetty Road, , Glenelg South Australia, 5045

The first church was built in Gordon Street and the builder was Mr J.J. Moseley. The second church was built in Jetty Road and the foundation stone was laid on 18 April 1859. The Architect was Mr James MacGeorge and built by Messrs Lines and Cook. The third and current church was built and the foundation stone for this building was laid…

Read More

Glenelg, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Glenelg, SA - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1961

Address: 1 Torrens Square, , Glenelg South Australia, 5045

The first church was built in 1852, designed by Edmund Wright and built by Henry Moseley.2 In 1881 it was announced that the old church was to be demolished. The replacement, again to the design of Wright, was to be built in sections commencing with nave and chancel. The western porch (1924) is the last structural addition. Squared…

Read More

Glengarry, TAS - St Canice's Catholic

Glengarry, TAS - St Canice's Catholic

Year Built: 1894

Address: 33 Glengarry Road, , Glengarry Tasmania, 7275

The Church was built by pioneer Catholics in the district in 1894, and was served from Westbury until 1986. Daniel Burke who helped the Irish exiles at Westbury and became warden of the municipality, presented and address to the Archbishop at the opening of the church in 1894. The Church is a weatherboard building capable of seating…

Read More

Glenorchy, TAS - St John's Catholic

Glenorchy, TAS - St John's Catholic

Address: 62 Bowden Street, , Glenorchy Tasmania, 7010

On 25th May 1858, four years after Glenorchy was declared a Municipality, the foundation stone of a church to be dedicated to St John the Baptist, was blessed. In March of the following year, the small sandstone, Pugin style church, designed by architect, Henry Hunter, and situated on the corner of the Main Road and what is now Grove…

Read More

Glenorchy, TAS - Uniting

Glenorchy, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1910

Address: 446 Main Road, , Glenorchy Tasmania, 7010

The first Methodist church at Glenorchy opened in 1831 at O’Brien’s Bridge. The foundation stone of the current church was laid on 16 April 1910 by John Hallam Esq.

Read More

Glenroy, VIC - St Luke's Lutheran (Former)

Glenroy, VIC - St Luke's Lutheran (Former)

Address: 92 Wheatsheaf Road, , Glenroy , 3046

Read More

Glenunga, SA - Uniting

Glenunga, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1927

Address: 138 L'Estrange Street, , Glenunga South Australia, 5064

A Foundation stone was laid 27 August 1927 by Mrs P.A. McBride.

Read More

Gnowengerup, WA - St Margaret's Anglican

Gnowengerup, WA - St Margaret's Anglican

Address: 7 Youngenup Road , , Gnowengerup Western Australia, 6335

Read More

Golden Grove, SA - Uniting

Golden Grove, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1863

Address: Corner Golden Grove & Greenwith Road, , Golden Grove South Australia, 5125

In 1863 Mr Paul Roberts son of Thomas Roberts of Greenwith Farm donated the land for a Primitive Methodist church which later became known as the Greenwith Chapel. Before the church was built services were held in the cellar of the home of Thomas and Hannah Roberts. The Foundation stone was laid on 15 November 1863 by Mrs Thomas…

Read More

Goodwood, SA - Church of the Cross Catholic

Goodwood, SA - Church of the Cross Catholic

Address: 33 Angus Street, , Goodwood South Australia, 5034

Read More