Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination


Goodwood, SA - St George's Anglican

Goodwood, SA - St George's Anglican

Address: 117 Goodwood Street, , Goodwood South Australia, 5034

Read More

Goolgowi, NSW - St Giles Anglican

Goolgowi, NSW - St Giles Anglican

Address: Farrer Street, , Goolgowi New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Goolgowi, NSW - St John Vianney Catholic

Goolgowi, NSW - St John Vianney Catholic

Address: Stipa Street, , Goolgowi New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Goolgowi, NSW - Uniting

Goolgowi, NSW - Uniting

Address: Napier Street, , Goolgowi New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Goolwa, SA - Church of Christ

Goolwa, SA - Church of Christ

Year Built: 1902

Address: Porter Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Goolwa Church of Christ was founded in 1902. The Foundation stone of the hall was laid on 4 October 1964 by Arthur Neighbour.

Read More

Goolwa, SA - Holy Evangelist Anglican

Goolwa, SA - Holy Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1867

Address: Cadell Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

In August 1865, the Anglican residents of Goolwa resolved to make every effort to erect a church in Goolwa. A building committee was appointed, consisting of Dr. T. Taylor, Messrs B. Sunman, T. Goode (merchant), Alan Doke, Newell, B. Varcoe E. Dutton, Smyth, W. Ray, Baldock, Joseph Field (butcher), Laffin, Shettliffe (later Shetliff),…

Read More

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Catholic

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: Partridge Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1967 by Rev Thomas Horgan P.A.

Read More

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Lutheran

Goolwa, SA - St John the Apostle Lutheran

Year Built: 1967

Address: Partridge Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Foundation stone was laid on 22 November 1967 by Rev Thomas Horgan P.A. The Lutheran's share this Catholic Church for services.

Read More

Goolwa, SA - Uniting

Goolwa, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1861

Address: Bingham Street, , Goolwa South Australia, 5214

The Church was built in 1861 with transepts added in 1881

Read More

Goombungee, QLD - St Colman's Catholic

Goombungee, QLD - St Colman's Catholic

Address: Barker Street, , Goombungee Queensland, 4354

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Goombungee, QLD - St Mark's Anglican

Goombungee, QLD - St Mark's Anglican

Address: King Street, , Goombungee Queensland, 4354

Read More

Goombungee, QLD - St Matthew's Lutheran

Goombungee, QLD - St Matthew's Lutheran

Address: 57 Mocatta Street, , Goombungee Queensland, 4354

Read More

Goombungee, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Goombungee, QLD - Wesleyan Methodist

Year Built: 1900

Address: Albert Street, , Goombungee Queensland, 4354

Read More

Goondiwindi, QLD - Anglican

Goondiwindi, QLD - Anglican

Address: 43 Bowen Street, , Goondiwindi Queensland, 4390

The first Anglican service was held by Archdeacon Glennie at Wyaga in 1848, and there were station chapels at Umbercollie and Callandoon, it was not until January 1871 that public interest was raised to build a permanent church in Goondiwindi town. The first church on the present site was dedicated on 23 April 1882 by Bishop Hale. A…

Read More

Gordon, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Gordon, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1875

Address: Corner Old Melbourne & Carey Road, , Gordon Victoria, 3345

St. Patrick's Parish, was established in 1875 and incorporates a church and school in each of Ballan, Gordon and Springbank. The land and a sum of one hundred and £90 for the stonework, nave, porch and tower was donated by Ryan brothers of Millbrook. The Architect was H R Casselli of Ballarat, the builders, Jenkin and Lewis. The…

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - Baptist

Goulburn, NSW - Baptist

Address: 164 Bourke Street, Goulburn, New South Wales, 2580

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Goulburn, NSW - St Andrew's Presbyterian

Year Built: 1924

Address: 25 Clifford Street, , New South Wales, 2580

By order of the Governor in 1839, 2 acres of land for a church, schoolhouse and manse were marked off in the area today bounded by Sloane, Bradley and Craig Streets,and on 21st June, 1839, the first stone of the church was laid. The architect was William Hume, and the cost was £685. After the failure of the first builder to fulfil his…

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - St Peter & Paul's Catholic Cathedral

Goulburn, NSW - St Peter & Paul's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1843

Address: Bourke Street, Goulburn, New South Wales, 2580

The first Mass in the Goulburn District was celebrated by Father Therry in 1833 at Matt Healey's Inn (now called Riversdale). The Cathedral was built in two stages and was constructed around the original 1843 church (when the cathedral exterior was completed the old church was demolished and the materials were removed outside through…

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - St Saviour's Anglican Cathedral

Goulburn, NSW - St Saviour's Anglican Cathedral

Year Built: 1839

Address: 170 Bourke Street, , Goulburn New South Wales, 2580

This is the second of two churches built on this site. The first was erected in 1839. The Foundation stone for the current Cathedral was laid in 1874. The Cathedral was designed by the leading colonial Ecclesiastical Architect, Edmund Blackett. The Church is built of white sandstone and reflects the characteristics of a Victorian…

Read More

Goulburn, NSW - Uniting

Goulburn, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1869

Address: Goldsmith Street, , Goulburn New South Wales, 2580

The original chapel (a Methodist church) was erected in 1848. A new Church was given the go ahead in 1869 with plans provided by Mr Thomas Rowe. This new church was opened on 25 October 1871. The Church is of brick with cement render dressings. In 1891 an organ chamber was built into the northern wall to accommodate the piped Organ.

Read More

Grange, SA - Baptist

Grange, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1880

Address: Beach Street, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The Foundation stone was laid on 9 November 1880 by Mrs C Fowler.

Read More

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Grange, SA - St Agnes Anglican

Year Built: 1885

Address: 200 Military Road, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The original foundation stone was laid by the Bishop on August 1 1885. The Jubilee Foundation stone was laid by the Very Reverend Dean Young on 15 September 1936.

Read More

Grange, SA - Uniting

Grange, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1881

Address: Beach Street, , Grange South Australia, 5022

The Foundation stone was laid on 9 November 1880 by Mrs C Fowler.

Read More

Granham, QLD - St Gabriel's Catholic

Granham, QLD - St Gabriel's Catholic

Address: Victor Street, , Grantham Queensland, 4347

Read More

Greenacres, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Greenacres, SA - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Address: Mullers Road, , Greenacres South Australia, 5086

Read More

Greenacres, SA - Uniting

Greenacres, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1964

Address: Mullers Road, , Greenacres South Australia, 5086

The Foundation stone was laid on 16 February 1964 by the Ex President of the Conference the Reverend G.T. Inglis B.A. B.D.

Read More

Greenmount, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Greenmount, QLD - St Joseph's Catholic

Address: 8 Warkon Road, , Greenmount Queensland, 4359

The foundation stone was laid on 9 March 1958 by the Most Reverend W. Brennan Bishop of Toowoomba.

Read More

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Greenock, SA - St Peter's Lutheran

Year Built: 1897

Address: Frederick Street, , Greenock South Australia, 5360

The first meeting was held on 31 March 1897 to consider forming a congregation. The first services were held in the Daveyston School from 1897 to 1898 and then in the Wesleyan Church on a monthly basis. By 1899 land was purchased and tenders were called to build a church. The tender of Mr E Graetz of Keyneton was accepted. The cost of the…

Read More

Greenock, SA - Uniting

Greenock, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1954

Address: 6 Kapunda Road, , Greenock South Australia, 5360

Formerly a Methodist church, the Foundation stone was laid on 19 September 1954 by D.. Branson Esq.

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Greensborough, VIC - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1967

Address: Corner Main Street & Church Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

Church of England services can be traced back to around 1886. The first services took place in a barn owned by Major Anthony Bealle who "selected" St Helena near Greensborough in 1839. A weatherboard church along with a school and vicarage were built in 1889 and were located where the current church is situated. The school was…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - Calvery Lutheran

Greensborough, VIC - Calvery Lutheran

Year Built: 1978

Address: 1 Oldstead Road, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The original church was in Briar Hill from 1954 to 1969 and then Montmorency from 1970 to 1977. A foundation stone dated 29 October 1978 sits on the wall of the current church. The current church was opened in 2006 and its foundation stone was laid on 19 February of that year.

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Greensborough, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: Grimshaw Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The land on which the church resides was originally owned by Mrs Edith Santon. She did not want it sold and subdivided. The first services were held in the Santon homestead in 1952. The house was later to be used as the Presbytery until about 1970. By 1954 work commenced on five school buildings and completed and opened in 1955 by…

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Greensborough, VIC - St Thomas' Catholic

Year Built: 1986

Address: Diamond Creek Road, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

This church broke away from St Mary's Catholic in Greensborough in 1986.

Read More

Greensborough, VIC - Uniting

Greensborough, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: 37 Grimshaw Street, , Greensborough Victoria, 3088

The first service of the Greensborough Methodist church was held in March of 1850, in, "Meagher's Barn" which refers to a barn that stood on the "Willis Vale" property of James Willis Mayger, near the Plenty River. The Wesleyans acquired their own house of worship in Hailes Street. This weatherboard church was still being used as a…

Read More

Greenthorpe, NSW - St James Anglican

Greenthorpe, NSW - St James Anglican

Year Built: 1910

Address: Tyagong Road, , Greenethorpe New South Wales, 2809

The Foundation stone was laid on 3 June 1910 by the Bishop of Goulburn.

Read More

Greenthorpe, NSW - Uniting

Greenthorpe, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1928

Address: Collon Street west, , Greenethorpe New South Wales, 2809

Formerly a Methodist church the foundation stone was laid on 21 March 1928 by John Fisher.

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Grenfell, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1877

Address: Middle Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

The first church was a wooden structure built in 1867 and located at the corner of Forbes and Middle Street. By 1877 tenders were called for a new church and the foundation stone was laid on 24 May. A further foundation stone replaced the original one on 26 January 1878 and laid by Mr J.B. Wood. The architect was John Kirkpatrick. The…

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - Presbyterian

Grenfell, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1870

Address: Weddin Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

The Foundation stone was laid on 7th December 1870 by Miss Kilpatrick.

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - Salvation Army

Grenfell, NSW - Salvation Army

Address: 52 George Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

Read More

Grenfell, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Grenfell, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1906

Address: Weddin Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

As early as 1838 when Yass was established as the first Ecclesiastical district in the interior of Australia, the whole area from Yass to Melbourne was served by a solitary dedicated priest. The first of these was Fr Brennan followed in 1839 by Fr Lovatt and in 1847 by Fr Magennis. In July 1884 Grenfell and Gooloogong were cut off…

Read More