Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination


Grenfell, NSW - Uniting

Grenfell, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1927

Address: Camp Street, , Grenfell New South Wales, 2810

Several foundation stones are attached to the church. One being laid by S. C. Starr on 13 August 1927.

Read More

Greta, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Greta, VIC - Christ Church Anglican

Address: 1317 Wangaratta Kilfeera Road, , Greta Victoria, 3675

The church was opened on 6 March 1890. The church is part of the Moyhu Parish. A second church was erected in 1915 after termites destroyed the first church.

Read More

Gretna, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Gretna, TAS - St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1848

Address: 31 Church Road, , Gretna Tasmania, 7140

Gretna was called Stoney Hut Plains and later The Woolpack after the Inn. The Church was consecrated by Bishop Nixon on June 1st 1848 and the Minister and Chaplain of Macquarie Plains at the time was the Rev. William Tancred. Other clergy at the consecration were the Archdeacon Marriott and Rev. G. Wright, of Hamilton. At the service…

Read More

Griffith, NSW - Baptist

Griffith, NSW - Baptist

Address: Corner Wakaden & Whitton Streets, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - Presbyterian

Griffith, NSW - Presbyterian

Year Built: 1982

Address: Blumer Road, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

The Foundation stone was laid on 12 June 1982 by The Right Reverend James Mullan Moderator General of the Presbyterian Church.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Griffith, NSW - Sacred Heart Catholic

Address: Warrambool Street, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

Read More

Griffith, NSW - Salvation Army

Griffith, NSW - Salvation Army

Address: Corner Anzac & Binya Street, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

Read More

Griffith, NSW - St Alban the Martyr Anglican

Griffith, NSW - St Alban the Martyr Anglican

Year Built: 1954

Address: Corner Anzac & Binya Streets, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

The Foundation stone was laid on 2 May 1954 by the Most Reverend H.G. Robinson Bishop of Riverena.

Read More

Griffith, NSW - St Paul's Lutheran

Griffith, NSW - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: 47 Sanders Street, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

Read More

Griffith, NSW - Uniting

Griffith, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: Beal Street, , Griffith New South Wales, 2680

The Foundation stone was laid on 29 June 1957 by the Right Reverend E.H. Vines.

Read More

Grong Grong, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Grong Grong, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1911

Address: Corner Barellan & Willandra Streets, , Grong Grong New South Wales, 2652

Constructed of brick the church foundation stone was laid on 20 September 1911 by Mrs Bridaoake.

Read More

Grong Grong, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Grong Grong, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Address: Balaro Street, , Grong Grong New South Wales, 2652

Read More

Grovedale, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Grovedale, VIC - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1849

Address: Torquay Road, , Grovedale Victoria, 3216

The beginnings of this church go back to 1849 when five families were brought out to Geelong by the local Geelong Mayor Dr Thomson. The first church was in Church Street. The first service was held on 24 June 1854. Grovedale was called Germantown at the time but this changed in 1915. A Manse was built in 1855. In the following years…

Read More

Grovedale, VIC - Uniting

Grovedale, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1853

Address: Torquay Road, , Grovedale Victoria, 3216

During 1853, people began to worship on the site in Torquay Road, which had been granted to the Wesleyan Methodists. A small, simple wooden church was constructed in 1855. In June 1868, the congregation decided to build a new church. The new church was designed by RS. Tuffs and the foundation stone was laid on the 25th March 1869, by the…

Read More

Gulnare, SA - Uniting

Gulnare, SA - Uniting

Address: Railway Terrace, , Gulnare South Australia, 5471

Read More

Gumeracha, SA - Salem Baptist

Gumeracha, SA - Salem Baptist

Year Built: 1846

Address: Victoria Street, , Gumeracha South Australia, 5233

Founded in 1843 the first services were initially held at the Randells' farm estate. The first stage of the church was built in 1845 on land donated by William Bevis Randell. The building was officially opened in February 1846 with inaugural services conducted by Pastor Thomas Playford, great grandfather of the South Australian Premier…

Read More

Gumeracha, SA - Uniting

Gumeracha, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1859

Address: 5 Wellington Street, , Gumeracha South Australia, 5233

For several years prior to 1859 Wesleyan Methodist services were held at the company's local cattle station. Land for the church was donated by Mr J Monfries and the church was built of stone carted from Kenton Valley. It was officially opened in 1860. A Manse was erected in 1887 and the Vestry was added in 1897 while the front porch…

Read More

Gunbar, NSW - Uniting

Gunbar, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1884

Formerly a Presbyterian church, the first church was located just north of its current location however due to swampy water it was later relocated. It was built in 1884. Though nominally Presbyterian, services by Anglican and Methodist ministers were occasionally also held at the church. By 1933 it was decided to build a new church of…

Read More

Gundagai, NSW - Baptist

Gundagai, NSW - Baptist

Address: Otway Street, Gundagai, New South Wales, 2722

Read More

Gundagai, NSW - St John's Anglican

Gundagai, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1986

Address: Otway Street, , Gundagai New South Wales, 2722

The Foundation stone of the church was laid on 19 September 1861 by Right Reverend Barker Lord Bishop of Sydney. Mr George Hart a local resident designed the church. The Church is built of local slate and the roof was originally battered and shingled and lined inside the raftters with colonial pine". The Church was opened on 5 June…

Read More

Gundagai, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Gundagai, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1885

Address: 121 Sheridan Street, Gundagai, New South Wales, 2722

The original church was built in 1885. Opened in 1885, the church is of neo-gothic style. The architect EC Manfred studied under Edmund Blackett who also designed the Church of England in Tumut, and the St Andrew’s Cathedral, George Street Sydney.

Read More

Gundagai, NSW - Uniting

Gundagai, NSW - Uniting

Address: Otway Street, Gundagai, New South Wales, 2722

Presbyterian services began in Gundagai in 1852 in a hall. A minister was appointed in 1900 and the church erected 1901. Now closed.

Read More

Gundaroo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Gundaroo, NSW - St Joseph's Catholic

Year Built: 1881

Address: Corner Harp & Morning Street, , Gundaroo New South Wales, 2620

Established in 1881.

Read More

Gundaroo, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Gundaroo, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Year Built: 1874

Address: Cork Street, , Gundaroo New South Wales, 2620

The Church uses the former Court of Petty Sessions built in 1874.

Read More

Gundaroo, NSW - Uniting

Gundaroo, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1864

Address: Corner Lot & Cork Streets, , Gundaroo New South Wales, 2620

Formerly a Presbyterian Church built in 1864. It is a rough stone structure with external render and a galvanized iron roof.

Read More

Gunning, NSW - St Edmond's Anglican

Gunning, NSW - St Edmond's Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: Biala Street, , Gunning New South Wales, 2581

The first Church was built in 1859 and was blown down and replaced by the present Church in 1866, It was consecrated 27/3/1873. It is of stone with a tiled roof. A chancel was added in 1912and a porch later. The Church was thoroughly restored and largely refurbished in 1933. The pulpit and lectern are in memory of members of the Lyell…

Read More

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Gunning, NSW - St Francis Xavier Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 1 Cullavin Street, , Gunning New South Wales, 2581

The first church was erected on this site in 1859. The current church was erected in 1973. The Foundation stone was laid on 9 September 1973 by Archbishop Thomas V Cahill.

Read More

Gunning, NSW - Uniting

Gunning, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1876

Address: Waratah Street, , Gunning New South Wales, 2581

The first Church was erected in 1849 and as was 28ft x 18ft. The next Church was opened in 1876 by A Crundwell. The first Parsonage was erected in 1853 having only 2 rooms. The second Parsonage was purchased in Waratah in 1868.

Read More

Hagley, TAS - Uniting

Hagley, TAS - Uniting

Year Built: 1957

Address: 75 Meander Road, , Hagley Tasmania, 7292

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Reverend C.L. Turner B.A. Superintendent Minister 6th April 1957".

Read More

Hagley, TAS St Mary's Anglican

Hagley, TAS St Mary's Anglican

Year Built: 1862

Address: Church Lane, , Hagley Tasmania, 7292

St Mary's Anglican Church is a bluestone Gothic Revival building that opened for services in 1862. The lands and a significant part of the church's funds were donated by Sir Richard Dry and later by his wife in her will.. Anglican services were first held in Hagley in a small brick church in the village which was the combined gift of…

Read More

Hahndorf, SA - St Michael's Lutheran

Hahndorf, SA - St Michael's Lutheran

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Balhannah Road & Church Street, , Hahndorf South Australia, 5245

The first Church was a mud-wall building of 1840. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid in 1858. The Church was founded by Prussian Lutheran dissenters, the church still services the oldest existing Lutheran congregation in Australia.

Read More

Hahndorf, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Hahndorf, SA - St Paul's Lutheran

Year Built: 1859

Address: 10 Main Street, , Hahndorf South Australia, 5245

In 1838 a ship called the "Prince George" sailing from Tschichnrzig, not far from Zueaichau, between Brandenburg and Siiesia (Schleswig) in Germany, and berthed at Plymouth Sound, England, on its way to Australia. Here a pastor August Kavel joined the ship. It was this Pastor who was the founder of the congregation of St. Paul's,…

Read More

Haigslea, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Haigslea, QLD - St Paul's Lutheran

Address: Haigslea Lawn Cemetery Road, , Haigslea Queensland, 4306

The Church was opened in April 1924 with 300 attending. The Church was dedicated by Pastor C. Gaustadt on 9 July 1873. A manse was erected beside the church in 1874 and a new manse was built in 1895 which was subsequently moved to Marburg in 1904. The church building was destroyed by a cyclone on 17 November 1923. A replacement church…

Read More

Haigslea, QLD - Uniting

Haigslea, QLD - Uniting

Address: Malabar to Warrego Highway, , Haigslea Queensland, 4306

The Church originally consisted of the Congregational Church and the Wesleyan Methodist Church which was moved to this site in 1981. On Church union the hall (at the rear) was called Wesley'. In 1977 on church union the ex Methodist church was called Wesley and the Congregational church was called Pilgrim. Services were held week…

Read More

Hallett Cove, SA - Good Shepherd Lutheran

Hallett Cove, SA - Good Shepherd Lutheran

Address: 20 Ragamuffin Drive, , Hallett Cove South Australia, 5158

Read More

Hamilton, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Hamilton, TAS - St Peter's Anglican

Address: 15 Ponsonby Street, , Hamilton Tasmania, 7140

The pamphlet in part reads, The construction of a church at Hamilton came as the direct result of concern felt by those who had settled within a wide area, namely from Gretna to Ousebridge. The first meeting was arranged for 26th September 1831, and the formation of a Building Committee was instituted, with David Burn, the dramatist…

Read More

Hamilton, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Hamilton, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Address: 23 Dinwoodie Street, , Hamilton Victoria, 3300

In the early days Hamilton was part of the Portland Parish and hence Ministers came from there. The first Mass was held on 22 May 1848 by Father Kavanagh. The first part of the Church to be opened was conducted on 12 August 1866. The work commenced by Father Kavanagh was completed by the laying of a memorial stone on 30 May 1900 by…

Read More

Hampton, VIC - Baptist

Hampton, VIC - Baptist

Year Built: 1929

Address: 136 Thomas Street, , Hampton Victoria, 3188

A Foundation stone was laid on 7 December 1929 by Evan Rees Esq. The Architects were P Laisted and Warner and the builder was C Lawrence. The Church Hall was built in 1951 and a foundation stone was laid on 14 July by the first Sunday School Superintendent W.R. Walkley.

Read More

Hampton, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Hampton, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1928

Address: 19 Thomas Street, , Hampton Victoria, 3188

The first church was built of timber and used until the present brick church was completed in 1928. The Foundation stone was laid on 1 September 1928 by the Dean of Melbourne.

Read More

Hampton, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour & St Andrews Catholic

Hampton, VIC - Our Lady of Perpetual Succour & St Andrews Catholic

Address: 40 Ludstone Street, , Hampton Victoria, 3188

Read More