Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Dulwich Hill, NSW - Baptist

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Baptist

Address: 3 Macarthur Parade, , Dulwich Hill New South Wales, 2203

Read More

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Dulwich Hill, NSW - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1886

Address: Corner Herbert & Seaview Streets, , Dulwich Hill New South Wales, 2203

A timber hall on the site of the present church where services where held (this hall was then divided up, part of which is now the Jennifer Russell Hall standing behind the Holy Trinity, 1886 church building. The first Holy Trinity Anglican Church was on the opposite side of the present day church and was dedicated by Bishop Barry on…

Read More

Dulwich Hill, NSW - St Paul of the Cross Catholic

Dulwich Hill, NSW - St Paul of the Cross Catholic

Year Built: 1907

Address: New Canterbury Road, , Dulwich Hill New South Wales, 2203

In 1906 locals petitioned Cardinal Moran, the Archbishop of Sydney, to have their own church in the area. Approval was given and a block of land was purchased on New Canterbury Road in 1907. The Foundation stone was laid in April 1907 by Cardinal Moran Archbishop of Sydney and the church was completed in 1908. Today this is the parish…

Read More

Dumbalk, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Dumbalk, VIC - St Andrew's Anglican

Year Built: 1937

Address: 6 Nerrena Road, , Dumbalk Victoria, 3956

The Church was established in 1937.

Read More

Dunalley, TAS - St Martin's Anglican (Former)

Dunalley, TAS - St Martin's Anglican (Former)

Address: 116 Arthur Highway , , Dunalley Tasmania, 7177

A Foundation stone reads, " To the creator the Glory of God and in grateful memory of the men who fought in the Great War of 1914 - 1918. This stone was laid by R.W.C. Shoobridge Esq Feby 20th 1924". The Church is now in private hands.

Read More

Dunedoo, NSW - All Saint's Anglican

Dunedoo, NSW - All Saint's Anglican

Address: 55 Cobborah Street, , Dunedoo New South Wales,

Read More

Dunedoo, NSW - St David's Presbyterian

Dunedoo, NSW - St David's Presbyterian

Address: Cobborah Street, , Dunedoo New South Wales, 2844

A Foundation stone reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Rev. G. Nelson Bensley 1st December 1923".

Read More

Dunedoo, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Dunedoo, NSW - St Michael's Catholic

Year Built: 1971

Address: 59 Tucklan Street, , Dunedoo New South Wales, 2844

A Foundation stone reads, " St Michael's War Memorial Church solemnly blessed and opened by the Bishop of Bathurst A.R.E. Thomas D.D. Sunday March 14, 1971".

Read More

Dunedoo, NSW - Uniting (Former)

Dunedoo, NSW - Uniting (Former)

Address: 52 Cobborah Street, , Dunedoo New South Wales, 2844

Read More

Dungog, NSW - Methodist

Dungog, NSW - Methodist

A Foundation stone was laid on 23 March 1910. No further information currently available. Contributions welcombed.

Read More

Eagle Junction, QLD - Uniting (Former)

Eagle Junction, QLD - Uniting (Former)

Address: 223 Bonney Avenue, , Clayfield Queensland, 4011

The Church was built in circa 1889 and in 1901, not wishing to be part of the amalgamation of the Methodist denominations into the new Methodist Church of Australasia, the congregation decided to became Eagle Junction Congregational Church. In 1975 Wooloowin Methodist Church amalgamated with Eagle Junction Congregational Church (at 211…

Read More

Eaglehawk, VIC - St Liborius Catholic

Eaglehawk, VIC - St Liborius Catholic

Address: 50 Panton Street, , Eaglehawk Victoria, 3556

On January 31st 1869 The right Reverend Dr Goold, Catholic Bishop of Melbourne with Dr Backhaus and Rev. Dean Fitzgerald, opened the new Roman Catholic Church at Eaglehawk, named St Liborius.

Read More

East Bentleigh, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

East Bentleigh, VIC - St Peter's Catholic

Year Built: 1973

Address: 844 Centre Road, , East Bentleigh Victoria, 3165

The present parish of St. Peter's was originally part of Brighton Parish (Est. 1853) and later included in St. Paul's, Bentleigh Parish (Est. 1928). The first Church building in this area was a small wooden school house and hall erected in February, 1865 on Centre Road, opposite the present Moorabbin Hospital. A brick school building…

Read More

East Brunswick, VIC - Our Lady of Help Christians Catholic

East Brunswick, VIC - Our Lady of Help Christians Catholic

Address: 878 Nicholson Street, , East Brusnwick Victoria, 3057

The floor plan of the Church was that of a Latin Cross with the Naive for the congregation and the cross bar as side altars for devotions. Robert Harper was the Architect.

Read More

East Camberwell, VIC - St Dominic's Catholic

East Camberwell, VIC - St Dominic's Catholic

Year Built: 1924

Address: 816 Riversdale Road, , East Camberwell Victoria, 3126

In 1924, the Dominican Fathers took possession of Sir John Higgins' residence (now the front section of the Priory) and the first Parish Mass was celebrated in the front parlour on March 16th that year. Twenty nine people were present. The Church is built of rock-faced basalt ashlar with fine French detailing done in sandstone. The…

Read More

East Devonport, VIC _ St Paul's Anglican

East Devonport, VIC _ St Paul's Anglican

Year Built: 1879

Address: 15 Thomas Street, , East Devonport Tasmania, 7319

The Church was built between 1876-79 at a cost of £425 to the design of architect William Gadsby. It was opened in July 1879. A Foundation stone reads, " The Foundation stone reads thus, Church of St Paul foundation stone laid 13th December 1876 Consecrated March 1882 Rev G.F. (?Archer) Incumbent". An arson attack occurred in 2001…

Read More

East Geelong, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

East Geelong, VIC - St Matthew's Anglican

Address: Corner Thear & McKillop Street, , East Geelong Victoria, 3219

Officially opened on 6 February 1890 by Canon Goodman Vicar of Christ Church, the original building was situated on the corner of Fitzroy Street with Services being conducted by the Vicar of Christ Church or the Curate or Mr G.F. Belcher. In 1919 negotiations were opened for the purchase of part of the old Geelong Grammar School sports…

Read More

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

East Ivanhoe, VIC - St George's Anglican

Year Built: 1929

Address: Warncliffe Road, , East Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

East Ivanhoe Anglican convened a meeting on 12 December 1929 in the home of Mr A Judd in Warnclifffe Road to form a committee to arrange for church services and Sunday school classes to be held in the new area. Land owned by Mt Bainbridge in Warncliffe Road was available for a church site and an assurance was given that, if the Diocese…

Read More

East Ivanhoe, VIC - Uniting (Former)

East Ivanhoe, VIC - Uniting (Former)

Year Built: 1941

Address: 6 King Street, , East Ivanhoe Victoria, 3079

The newer church was built in the early 1960s to replace a smaller brick church of 1941, still standing next to the new one, which the then Methodist congregation had outgrown. The Church was designed by Bates, Smart and McCutcheon in a plain but pleasing functional style; it is very similar to the Methodist church they designed in…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - All Saint's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - All Saint's Anglican

Year Built: 1960

Address: Corner Olive & Darling Road, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Foundation stone was laid on 13 February 1960 by the Most Reverend Frank Woods D.D. M.A. The Architect was Louis Williams.

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - Ewing Memorial Uniting

East Malvern, VIC - Ewing Memorial Uniting

Year Built: 1910

Address: Corner Burke Road & Coppin Streets, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Foundation stone was laid on 30 July 1910 by the Honourable John Mark Davies M.L.C. The Builder was T Stabb and the Architect was H.W. and F.B. Tompkins.

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - Holy Eucharist Catholic

East Malvern, VIC - Holy Eucharist Catholic

Address: 1241 Dandenong Road, , Malvern East Victoria, 3145

A Foundation stone was laid on 12 September 1962 by the Archbishop of Melbourne J.D. Simonds D.D. The church, designed by architects Alan Robertson & Associates and built by Holywood Constructions, cost 55,000. It was blessed and officially opened by Archbishop Simonds in September 1962.

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St Catherine's Greek Orthodox

East Malvern, VIC - St Catherine's Greek Orthodox

Year Built: 1921

Address: 3 Epping Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

The Church was formerly the Peace Memorial Methodist Church. The Foundation stone was laid on 12 November 1921 by Reverend A.P. Bladen President of the Conference. Constructed of red brick with cement tracery, and built in 1921-2. Comprises a broad nave, aisle, chancel, vestries and imposing facade incorporating a deeply overhanging arch…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

East Malvern, VIC - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1883

Address: 5 Finch Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

Founded as a mission to Caulfield Racecourse in 1883 the original church was built in 1889. The current church was built between 1920 and 1922. The Architect was Purchase and Teague. The Foundation stone was laid on 18 December 1920 by the Venerable Archdeacon Hindley B.D. Administrator of the Diocese. An example of the English…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - St Mary's Immaculate Conception Catholic

East Malvern, VIC - St Mary's Immaculate Conception Catholic

Year Built: 1920

Address: 91 Manning Road, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

In 1891, on Sunday, December 13th, Archbishop Thomas Carr blessed and opened a new timber station church (on the site of the current presbytery) for the parish of St. Stephen’s, Oakleigh at a place named Emo, after the Emo Estate. Today, on that same block of land purchased for £542, the buildings of St. Mary’s Catholic Parish stand. They…

Read More

East Malvern, VIC - Uniting

East Malvern, VIC - Uniting

Year Built: 1958

Address: Serrell Street, , East Malvern Victoria, 3145

One foundation stone was laid on 29 March 1958 by the Reverend G.B. Campbell.

Read More

East Melbourne, Protestant

East Melbourne, Protestant

Year Built: 1872

Address: 4 Morrison Place, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

A Church built for the Trustees of the Swedenborgian Church. Built in 1872, to the design of Lloyd Tayler the gothic-style bluestone residence was once home to the New Temple Church. The main facade embraces a Decorated Gothic window of three lights flanked by buttresses, with a projecting porch. Was a store room for the Eye and Ear…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Cairns Memorial Presbyterian former

East Melbourne, VIC - Cairns Memorial Presbyterian former

Year Built: 1883

Address: Corner Powlett & Hotham Streets, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

An article in the Melbourne Argus newspaper of 10 October 1881 reads, "A section of the congregation of Chalmera' Church having been granted permission by the Presbetry of Melbourne to form themselves into a separate congregation, they met for the first time yesterday morning, at the Orderly room, corner of Powlett-street and…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1864

Address: 193 Hotham Street, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

It is recorded the first church services were held in the school buildings on the corner of Victoria Parade and Hoddle Street. The Church was erected of bluestone and had been originally designated for a Cathedral, but Holy Trinity was erected on it with the intention that it was later to be converted to the Cathedral library or…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Lutheran

East Melbourne, VIC - Holy Trinity Lutheran

Year Built: 1852

Address: Corner Parliament & Cathedral Place, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

In 1852, a site was granted for a church at 22-36 Parliament Place, East Melbourne by Governor La Trobe. The original 1853 structure was built by William Hellings to the specifications of architects Bellairs, Krsteiner & Co and was replaced in 1874 by a bluestone church, designed by Charles Blachmann, which houses an historic organ.…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

East Melbourne, VIC - St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1858

Address: Corner Gisborne Street & Cathedral Place, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

St Patrick's Cathedral is the cathedral church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne in Victoria, Australia, and seat of its archbishop. In 1847 the Colonial Secretary granted two acres of land for a church on Eastern Hill, where St Patrick's Cathedral now stands and by 1850 an additional two acres were granted. In 1848,…

Read More

East Melbourne, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

East Melbourne, VIC - St Peter's Anglican

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Albert and Gisborne street, , East Melbourne Victoria, 3002

In September and October 1843 the Bishop of Australia, Dr William Grant Broughton visited Port Phillip and suggested there should be a second Anglican church in Melbourne. The foundation stone was laid on 18 June 1846 by the Superintendent of the settlement, Charles Joseph La Trobe. Dr Broughton had hoped to be present for the occasion…

Read More

East Tamworth, NSW - Unknown

East Tamworth, NSW - Unknown

Year Built: 1893

Address: Cnr Bourke & Cathage Streets, , East Tamworth New South Wales, 2340

A Foundation stone reads, "This stone was laid by Benjamin Coxhead Esq 15th June 1893".

Read More

Echuca, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Echuca, VIC - St Mary's Catholic

Year Built: 1890

Address: Corner Percy & Hare Street, , Echuca Victoria, 3564

The first St Mary's was a wooden structure built in 1866 on the same location as todays Church stands. The work that was completed by 1877 embraced a Nave 28' wide by 15' long, intercepted by transepts 75' by 24' from which projected ar octagonal apse 28' by 22. The work was completed in 1889 by the removal of the older wooden portion…

Read More

Eden, NSW - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Eden, NSW - Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic

Year Built: 1992

Address: 86 Calle Calle Street, , Eden New South Wales, 2551

The original church was built in 1863 and was in use until 1992. A plaque on the old church reads, A temporary wooden church built in Eden [circa 18601 damaged by strong winds in September of 1860. Rebuilt November 1860. Land granted 27 July 1863 for the establishment of church presbytery and school reported in "freeman's journal"…

Read More

Eden, NSW - St George Uniting

Eden, NSW - St George Uniting

Year Built: 1866

Address: Chandos Street, , Eden New South Wales, 2551

The Foundation stone was laid on 24th May, 1865 and the Church was opened for services on 24th May 1866. It was the first church built after the Union of the Presbyterian Churches in NSW in 1865. The building was first cement rendered in 1931 due to crumbling of the original brickwork and the original roof replaced in 1961. In 2007,…

Read More

Eden, NSW - St John's Anglican

Eden, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1885

Address: 98 Calle Calle Street, , Eden New South Wales, 2551

Church services were held at Eden from a very early date. Rev's Pryce, Riky and Druitt all visited Eden, Twofold Bay and Boydtown regularly. On the division of the Maneroo District Eden formed an important part of the Bega parish, then known as "Bega and Twofold Bay". On the 11/5/1861 a meeting is reported in the Twofold Bay and Maneroo…

Read More

Edenhope, VIC - Church of all Soul's Anglican

Edenhope, VIC - Church of all Soul's Anglican

Address: Andrews Street, , Edenhope Victoria, 3318

The Architects were Wystan Widdows and David Longstaff Caldwell

Read More

Edenhope, VIC - Immanuel Lutheran

Edenhope, VIC - Immanuel Lutheran

Address: Elizabeth Street, , Edenhope Victoria, 3318

Read More

Edenhope, VIC - St Malachy's Catholic

Edenhope, VIC - St Malachy's Catholic

Address: 67 Elizabeth Street, , Edenhope Victoria, 3318

Read More