Year Built: 1908
Address: Corner Wedge & Arundel Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672
The first St Joseph's was built in 1866. The current Church was completed in 1908 in a Romanesque style at a cost of £9,000. The Foundation stone was laid by his Grace the Most Reverend Dr Carr Archbishop of Melbourne on 21 July 1907 assisted by Bishop Reville and Dean Davey 1907. In 1989 a fire destroyed a large part of the building…
Address: Corner Church & Carrier Streets, , Benalla Victoria, 3672
Formerly a Methodist church. The Foundation stone was laid by Reverend John W. Rowse President of the Victorian and Tasmanian Conference on 26 March 1930. The architect was A.S. Eggleston and the builder was R. Mould.
Year Built: 1968
Address: 72 Frederick Street, , Bendemeer New South Wales, 2355
A Foundation stone reads, " A. M. D. G. This stone commemorates the solemn blessing of Holy Innocents Church by the Rt Rev Maurice Tully P.P. Vicar Capitular 12th May, 1968 Rev George O'Connor, P.P. Pastor".
Address: ??, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550
Baptists on the Gold Fields were not numerous, but in 1853 the first meeting was held at White Hills. Mr. and Mrs. John Taylor, Mr. and Mrs. Jones and Miss Jones met for worship in a tent. In 1854 a slab-hut was erected near to the present site of Wilkie Park in White Hills Road. Shortly afterwards a weatherboard building was erected…
Address: 35 Short Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550
The Church was founded in 1901 initially. The Church first met in TEMPERA in View Street until December 1926. The Building was extended in 1966 with a new Chapel and Foyer added in 1984. A Foundation stone reads, " For the Glory of God & the helping of Man 3rd July 1926".
Address: McKenzie Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550
Sacred Heart Cathedral is renowned for being one of the last completed gothic cathedrals of the twentieth century. The cathedral owes its existence to the legendary Rev Dr Henry Backhaus (1811-1882) from Paderborn in Germany, who was the pioneer priest on the Bendigo (Sandhurst) goldfields around 1852. Sacred Heart Cathedral is 75…
Year Built: 1930
Address: 26 Myers Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550
A Foundation stone was laid by Mrs William Hunter on 22 March 1930. The Architects of the current Church were G.D. Garvin and C Eathorne. A stuccoed brick church of 1930, which is quite idiosyncratic in detail and gains its distinctive character from the eclectic and not entirely felicitous low relief cement decoration. This Church is…
Year Built: 1897
Address: 35 - 41 Forest Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550
St. John's Presbyterian Church was opened in 1874 and located in Forest Street near the Barnard Street. By 1885 the Church was destroyed by fire. A new Church building was opened in 1897 on the same site. A Foundation stone was laid in November 1858 by Rev L.D. Bevan. In 1949 plans were prepared for the demolition of the church and…
Year Built: 1888
Address: 161 McCrae Steet, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550
The first church was a slab and canvas structure assembled in 1853 by Rev Dr Backhaus. In May 1856, construction of a stone church commenced. Topped by a slate roof, the church was a grand site with its 22 buttresses and four entrances. However, only 30 years later, the building was condemned as the walls were cracking and crumbling.…
Year Built: 1873
Address: Myer's Street, , Bendigo Victoria, 3550
The cathedral was designed by the architect Robert A. Love. The nave was dedicated in November 1868, the bell tower in 1873 and the chancel and transepts in 1927. Originally a parish church, St Paul's became the diocese's cathedral in 1981. The building is constructed of red brick with stone dressings in an early Gothic style and is…
Address: Corner Tucker & Centre Roads, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204
The land for the church's current location was granted by Mr John Matthew Smith. The original church building was beset by poor workmanship and delays. The foundation stone was laid by Mr W.R. Looker J.P. on Monday 11th October 1872. The new Church under the charge of the Rev. William Singleton of Cheltenham, was opened in June by the…
Year Built: 1960
Address: 122 Jasper Road, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204
A foundation stone reads " This stone symbol of Christ, Chief corner stone of the church was blessed and set by His Grace Archbishop Simonds 13th November 1960, T O'Sullivan P.P. S. J. Morgan and Associates Architect H.P. Yunken Pty Ltd Builder".
Year Built: 1928
Address: 531 Centre Road, , Bentleigh Victoria, 3204
The Foundation stone was laid on 23 June 1928.
Address: 11 Wallaga Street, , Bermagui New South Wales, 2546
A plaque reads, " All Saints' Bermagui 1911 - 2011 - A service of thanksgiving held to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the dedication of this church on 8th October 1911. The Rt Rev Trevor Edwards Vicar General of the Diocese of Canberra and Sloane Deacon the Rev Elizabeth Sloane 9th October 2011".
Year Built: 1902
Address: Corner Jerilderie Street & Memorial Street, , Berrigan New South Wales, 2712
A wall plaque reads, " This Church was built in 1902 in Jerilderie Street. Across the road is the Vicarage which was built in 1908, and the hall to the rear in the 1950's. The stained glass windows dedicated in 1973, were bequeathed by Nora Heald who was the daughter of Jacob Verso resident priest 1901 - 1920. Nora was the wife of Dr.…
Address: Argyle Street, , Berrima New South Wales, 2577
The church itself is in the Early English Gothic Revival style used by Edmund Blacket throughout his career, and is typical of his rural churches. It is built of sandstone quarried from the banks of the Wingecarribee River, and features four equal bays running east–west with a northern porch and southern vestry. The stonework is laid…
Year Built: 1934
Address: 83 Victoria Street, , Berry New South Wales, 2535
The first Presbyterian Church in Berry was erected in a prime location on a hill to the north of the town in the late 1880's, and was built on five acres, donated to the congregation by David Berry. A Foundation reads, " To the Glory of God this stone was laid by Right Rev D.F. Brandt May 9th 1934 - Thos J. Darling Architect Rev D.L.…
Year Built: 1935
Address: Albert Street, , Berry New South Wales, 2535
The Church was established in 1870. A Foundation stone reads, "This Foundation stone of St Patrick's Church Berry was solemnly blessed and laid by His Grace The Most Rev M. Sheehan D.D. 24 November 1935".
Year Built: 1932
Address: 71 Albert Street, , Berry New South Wales, 2535
Mr. J. M. Mills was appointed architect and plans were prepared, and after some modifications suggested by the Trustees, the plans were accepted and tenders called. The lowest tender, that of Messrs. Whitwell Bros, of Hurstville, was accepted. A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was set by Rev W. Green 30.6.32 - G. Gillam Secretary…
Year Built: 1954
Address: Foxhow Road, , Berrybank Victoria, 3323
The former church was destroyed by fire on 14 January 1944. The Foundation stone of the current church was laid on 21 April 1954 by William M Clark. The Architect was Keith Reid while the builder was A McHolson.