Adelaide, SA - Baptist
Year Built: 1863
Architect: Robert George Thomas
Traditional Owners: Kaurna people
Last Updated: 17/04/2023
History and Architecture:
A Foundation stone was laid by Rev Isaac New on 18 December 1861.
Robert G. Thomas, the architect who would later be responsible for the Stow Memorial Church (now Pilgrim Uniting Church), was selected to design the building, which is of Gothic revival style in bluestone and sandstone with elaborate capitals on the columns, a rose window and front entrance with three arches supported by pillars.
The building, which cost ₤7,000 and took English & Brown two years to build, was opened on 19 May 1863.
Mead Hall was erected in 1867/70 and the manse in 1877.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1861 -||Rev Silas Mead M.A.|
|1895 - 1905||Rev John G Raws|
|1905 - 1908||Rev James Mursell|
|1908 - 1921||Rev Peter Fleming|
|1922 - 1926||Rev F. G. Benskin M.A.|
|1927 - 1933||Rev D F Mitchell M.A.|
|1934 - 1943||Rev J. A. Lewis B.A.|
|1945 - 1952||Rev S Millar B.A.|
|1954 -||Rev Leslie J Gomm|
|2020 ? -||Rev Scott Cadman|
The Organ was bulit in 1886 by Fincham & Hobday of Adelaide. It was restored and enlarged in 1924 by W.L. Roberts.
Rebuilt in 1961 by J.E. Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works. It has 3m, 47spst, 16c, el.pn. Gt: 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52-2/3.2.III.8.4. Sw: 184.108.40.206.4.2-2/3.2.III.220.127.116.11.4. Ch: 18.104.22.168.2-2/3.2.1-3/22.214.171.124.4. Ped: 126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.16.8.4.
For a full description and photos click here.
1. God Building, Flinders Street Baptist Church Adelaide 1861 - 1961. SA 286.194231 F622 1961.
3. Organ Historical Trust of Australia with permission.