Churches by Architect
Below is a snapshot of Architects recorded inside this research project. The list is currently limited to 30 entries. If you know of an Architect thats not recorded on a particular Church record, your invited to e mail the details to this website here.
Visitors can click through from the surname to visit the list of Churches that Architect has designed.
|Architect||Number of Churches Designed|
|William W Wardell||12|
|Louis R Williams||10|
|John Lee Archer||7|
|Henry Richard Caselli||7|
|Edmund W Wright||6|
|R. Garlick Holwell||2|
|Dean W Berry||2|
|Robert George Thomas||2|
|William Henry Clayton||2|
|Lange Leopold Powell||2|
These are typically simple gabled buildings, of pined-roofed buildings, with pointed windows and doors. Churches of this type were being built from the 1790s to around 1820. True Gothic Revival churches began to be built in about 1813. The first and commonest type of early Gothic Revival building was the 'English Village Church'. These are characterised by end or side towers, usually with pinnacles at the corners, and pointed windows, often with English-Perpendicular tracery. Sometimes such churches have timber tracery, while otherwise conforming to this type.
First Australian Church
The first church in Australia was built of primitive materials in just eight weeks by Reverend Richard Johnson. He was the Church of England chaplain to the colony at Sydney and paid for the work himself.
In 1831, at the age of 19, Pugin married the first of his three wives, Anne Garnet. She died a few months later in childbirth, leaving him a daughter. He had a further six children, including the future architect Edward Welby Pugin.
Architect Daniel Garlick
Garlick was chairman of the District Council of Munno Para East from 1855 to 1860. He represented Robe ward in the Adelaide City Council from 1868 to 1870 and he was a regular worshipper at the (Anglican) Christchurch, North Adelaide.
Architect A. A. Fritsch
Augustus Andrew Fritsch (1866-1933), known as A. A. Fritsch,(note spelling) was an Australian architect best known for a series of Romanesque style red brick Catholic churches built across Victoria from the 1900s to the 1920s.