Churches

Use the filters below to search for churches and clergy in our Australian Christian Church Histories database.

Filter by Year Built

Filter By State

Filter by Denomination

Filter By Biblical Name


Aberdeen, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Aberdeen, NSW - St Mark's Anglican

Address: Moray Street, , Aberdeen New South Wales, 2336

The Churches centenary was held in 2013.

Read More

Aberdeen, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Aberdeen, TAS - Methodist (Former)

Year Built: 1914

Address: 160 Melrose Road, , Aberdeen Tasmania, 7310

The foundation stone was laid on the 2nd July 1914 by Mrs John Denney relict of Mr John Denney who was one of the Pioneer Methodists of the North West Coast. Today the church is in private hands and called Aberdeen Abbey.

Read More

Aberfeldie, VIC - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Aberfeldie, VIC - Our Lady of the Nativity Catholic

Year Built: 1967

Address: 33 Fawkner Street, , Aberfeldie Victoria, 3040

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone symbol of Christ chief corner stone of the church was blessed and laid by his Grace The Most Revd James R. Knox D.D. J.C.D. on 29th October 1967 Revd J.B. Wall P.P. - S.J. Moran Architect M.P. Arbon & Co Builder ".

Read More

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Baptist

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Baptist

Address: 271 Watson Road, , Acacia Ridge Queensland, 4110

Read More

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Our Lady of Fatima Catholic

Year Built: 1966

Address: 350 Mortimer Road, , Acacia Ridge Queensland, 4110

A plaque reads, " This Church of Our Lady of Fatima was blessed and opened by His Grace The Most Rev P.M. O'Donnell D.D. Archbishop of Brisbane on Sunday June 5th 1966. B.T. McLaughlin P.P.".

Read More

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Presbyterian

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Presbyterian

Address: 372 Mortimer Road, , Acacia Ridge Queensland, 4110

Read More

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Uniting

Acacia Ridge, QLD - Uniting

Address: 4 Chandler Street, , Acacia Ridge Queensland, 4110

The Church was established in 1966.

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Baptist

Adelaide, SA - Baptist

Year Built: 1863

Address: 65 Flinders Street, Adelaide, South Australia , 5000

A Foundation stone was laid by Rev Isaac New on 18 December 1861. Robert G. Thomas, the architect who would later be responsible for the Stow Memorial Church (now Pilgrim Uniting Church), was selected to design the building, which is of Gothic revival style in bluestone and sandstone with elaborate capitals on the columns, a rose…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - Bethlehem Lutheran

Year Built: 1872

Address: 170 Flinders Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5011

The beginnings of the Church can be traced to 1860 when about six families withdrew membership from Pastor Borgelt's Klemzig congregation on scriptural and confessional grounds. With several families who had been members of the Trinity congregation, as well as a number of others who were not affiliated with any group, they formed the…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Cathedral of Archangels Michael and Gabriel Greek Orthodox

Adelaide, SA - Cathedral of Archangels Michael and Gabriel Greek Orthodox

Address: 286 Franklin Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The Church is circular in plan, with an inner circle forming the gallery and an arc forming the Sanctuary. It is a reinforced concrete structure with brick walls which allows a band of windows at the base of the Dome. The roof is covered with sheet copper. The freestanding Bell Tower was constructed under a later contract.

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Adelaide, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican

Year Built: 1887

Address: North Terrace, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The first Foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1838 by the Governor of South Australia Governor Hindmarsh. A subsequent Foundation stone was laid on 7 May 1887 by George Mayo F.R.C.S England. Other Foundation can no Man lay than that is laid which is Jesus Christ. This is the first church in South Australia. The original structure…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Pilgrim Uniting

Adelaide, SA - Pilgrim Uniting

Year Built: 1867

Address: 12 Flinders Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

Pilgrim Church traces its roots back to Adelaides early Wesleyans and Congregationalists. A Wesleyan chapel in Pirie Street was opened in 1851 and became known as the Pirie Street Methodist Church. Stow Memorial Congregational Church, in Flinders Street, was dedicated in 1867. The two churches were back-to-back and were divided by a high…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - Scots Uniting

Adelaide, SA - Scots Uniting

Year Built: 1851

Address: 237 North Terrace, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

Scots Church Adelaide was originally called Chalmers Free Church. It was built by a group of Presbyterians who supported the Free Church of Scotland. They called Reverend John Gardner from Scotland to establish a church in South Australia. He arrived in Adelaide in March 1850 and immediately set about purchasing the land on the corner of…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Adelaide, SA - St Francis Xavier Catholic Cathedral

Year Built: 1851

Address: 33 Wakefield Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

Built progressively, from the laying of the original foundation in 1851 to the completion of the bell-tower in 1996, this cathedral is considered a major Australian work of the Gothic Revival style. It is linked with a number of designers and builders, including the eminent English architects Charles Francis Hansom and Peter Paul Pugin.…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican

Year Built: 1839

Address: 14 St John Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The land on which the church is built was donated by Osmond Gillies to the Church of England. The Foundation stone was laid on 19 October 1839 by Lieutenant Colonel George Gawler, Governor of the Province. The church was opened on Sunday, 24th October, 1841 by the Rev C.B. Howard assisted by the Rev Jas. Farrell. In 1886 the original…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican

Year Built: 1855

Address: 21 Whitmore Square, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The Church is one of the most significant in Adelaide. The first part of it was built in 1855. It remains one of the earliest Anglican Churches in Adelaide. Divine Service appears to have been first conducted in a Schoolroom in Hobson's Place, between Sturt and Wright Streets. In December, 181-)3, a meeting was held in Hole Trinity…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Mary Magdalene Anglican

Adelaide, SA - St Mary Magdalene Anglican

Year Built: 1841

Address: 26 Moore Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

1841 - 1846 One of the oldest buildings in South Australia, the church was originally built in 1841 on the site on which St John's, Halifax Street now stands where it was commonly known as "St John's in the Wilderness" for its remoteness from the busier northern part of Adelaide. The church was poorly built, for it was condemned and…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Adelaide, SA - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1912

Address: 261 Grote Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

After the original church, that was located in West Terrace became too small it was decided to build a new one in Grote St. St Patrick’s Church was the principal place of Catholic worship in Adelaide until St Francis Xavier Cathedral opened on Wakefield Street in 1858. Alterations to the simple stone building of St Patrick’s Church…

Read More

Adelaide, SA - St Stephen's Lutheran

Adelaide, SA - St Stephen's Lutheran

Year Built: 1848

Address: 152 Wakefield Street, , Adelaide South Australia, 5000

The original congregation of this church was formed in Klemzig in 1848. They remained there iuntil 1862 when their first church was built in Pirie Street. The congregation increased again in size and it was at this point St Stephen's was built. Designed by Architects Williams and Good the church is of Gothic Revival style. The Church…

Read More

Ainslie, ACT - All Saints Anglican

Ainslie, ACT - All Saints Anglican

Year Built: 1869

Address: 1 Bonney Street, , Ainslie Australian Capital Territory, 2602

Originally built as the Necropolis Receiving House as part of the Gothic Mortuary Railway Station at Rookwood, Sydney. It was designed by James Barnet in 1869. Built of stone the mortuary station fell into disrepair and by the 1950s the building's roof had been destroyed in a bushfire. The Anglican Rector of North Canberra successfully…

Read More

Ainslie, ACT - Church of Christ

Ainslie, ACT - Church of Christ

Address: 82 Limestone Avenue, , Ainslie Australian Capital Territory, 2602

Read More

Aireys Inlet, VIC - St Aidans Anglican

Aireys Inlet, VIC - St Aidans Anglican

Year Built: 1986

Address: 27 Great Ocean Road, , Aireys Inlet Victoria, 3231

The Church is part of the Surfcoast Anglican Parish consisting of three parish centres at Torquay, Anglesea and Aireys Inlet. The Church was originally in Bambara Road but was destroyed in the 1983 Ash Wednesday Bush fire. The land was sold and land purchased in the main street. The Church was consecrated by Archbishop David Penman in May…

Read More

Airport West, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Airport West, VIC - St Christopher's Catholic

Year Built: 1969

Address: 34 Roberts Road, , Airport West Victoria, 3042

A Foundation stone reads, " This church erected to the Glory of God under the protection of St Christopher was solemeny blessed and the main altar consecrated by Most Rev John N. Cullinane D.D. V.G. P.P. on October 5th 1969. The Temple of God is sacred and you are that temple 1. Cor 3/17" - Rev F.R. J Phelan Parish Priest - Max Chester…

Read More

Aitkenvale, QLD - Uniting

Aitkenvale, QLD - Uniting

Address: 277 Ross River Road, , Aitkenvale Queensland, 4814

In April 1877, the congregation opened a small wood church, 20 by 30 feet, at the corner of Stokes and Wills Streets in the downtown area, the site of today’s Central Uniting Church. As church membership grew, many people had to travel miles to get to church, so the congregation decided to expand into the suburbs. Churches opened in…

Read More

Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Albany Creek, QLD - All Saints Catholic

Year Built: 1980

Address: 4 Fahey's Road East, , Albany Creek Queensland, 4035

It was on 4 January 1986 that the Church became a Parish in its own right. Previously the Parish was part of Our Lady and St Dympna’s Parish, Aspley and the Holy Spirit Parish, Pine Rivers. Some three or four years prior to its founding as a Parish, the Brisbane Archdiocese purchased our Parish land in Fahey’s Road, Albany Creek, with…

Read More

Albany Creek, QLD - Uniting

Albany Creek, QLD - Uniting

Year Built: 1980

Address: 652 Albany Creek Road, , Albany Creek Queensland, 4035

Read More

Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican

Albert Park, VIC - St Silas and St Anselm Anglican

Address: Corner Bridport & Ferrars Streets, , Albert Park Victoria, 3206

First services were held in the Albert Hall, Bevan Street, then for 50 years in a wooden building on the site of the present service station. It was enlarged in stages. The present building was constructed by Melbourne church architect Louis Williams in 1925. In 1969 the Hall was incorporated into the lower part of the Church building.…

Read More

Alberton, SA - St George's Anglican

Alberton, SA - St George's Anglican

Address: 88 Port Road, , Alberton South Australia, 5014

Read More

Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Alberton, SA - Trinity Uniting

Year Built: 1880

Address: Station Place, , Alberton South Australia, 5014

The Foundation stone was laid by J Formby Esq on 6 April 1880.

Read More

Albion, QLD - Baptist

Albion, QLD - Baptist

Address: 14 McLennen Street, , Albion Queensland, 4010

Read More

Albury, NSW - Baptist

Albury, NSW - Baptist

Address: Corner Crisp & Macavley Streets, , Albury New South Wales, 2640

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Luke's Lutheran

Albury, NSW - St Luke's Lutheran

Address: 436 Guinea Street, , Albury New South Wales, 2640

A Foundation stone for a new Church was laid on 28 September 1938.

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Albury, NSW - St Matthew's Anglican

Year Built: 1859

Address: 4518 Kiewa Street, , Albury New South Wales,

The Albury Anglican Parish was established in February 1850 and by 1851 the first rector Henry Elliott had arrived. By 1856 a plan by Sydney architect Edmund Blacket was accepted and work began in 1857. The first portion: nave, south porch and tower base, was opened on March 13 1859. The external walls were of local Monument Hill…

Read More

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Albury, NSW - St Patrick's Catholic

Year Built: 1843

Address: Corner Olive & Smolett Streets, , Albury New South Wales, 2640

Father Charles Lovat, a pioneer priest from Yass, celebrated Albury's first Catholic mass on November 25, 1843 in a much smaller building at a different location. The present Church was opened on November 24, 1872. The priest who planned its construction was buried behind the altar. He was Dr. Michael McAlroy, Albury's parish priest from…

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Church of Christ

Aldgate, SA - Church of Christ

Address: 54 Strathalbyn Road, , Aldgate South Australia, 5154

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Aldgate, SA - Church of the Ascension Anglican

Year Built: 1892

Address: 4 Arkaba Road, , Aldgate South Australia, 5154

The Foundation stone of the church was laid on October 22 1892. The Church is a simple stone and brick building 20 feet x 30 feet. An extension of just over 3 meters was made at the eastern end, and a porch and vestry were added in 1961. The Architect for this was Dean W. Berry and the builder was H.J. Were.

Read More

Aldgate, SA - Sunset Rock Uniting

Aldgate, SA - Sunset Rock Uniting

Address: Sherlaw Avenue, , Aldgate South Australia, 5154

Read More

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican

Year Built: 1866

Address: Main South Road, , Aldinga South Australia, 5173

In 1866 residents of Aldinga called a meeting to consider the advisability of erecting a Church. An acre of land was presented by the South Australian Company and the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Short. Total cost was £785. Building opened for service by Dean Farrell and was consecrated. The Church is a simple stone chapel derived…

Read More

Aldinga, SA - Uniting

Aldinga, SA - Uniting

Year Built: 1863

Address: Old Coach Road, , Aldinga South Australia, 5173

The Uniting Church was constructed as the Aldinga Methodist Church and opened in 1863 during a period of active church building throughout the district. Services for Methodists in the Aldinga area had been held in other locations previously, but this church was the focus of their worship from the 1860's onwards. Stone church with brick…

Read More

Alexandra, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Alexandra, VIC - St Andrews Uniting

Year Built: 1966

Address: 37 Downey Street, , Alexandra Victoria, 3714

The commemoration stone was laid by the Reverends K.O. Williams and Reverend W.C. Paul on 20 November 1966.

Read More