Adelaide, SA - Holy Trinity Anglican
Year Built: 1887
Traditional Owners: Kaurna people
Last Updated: 03/07/2022
History and Architecture:
The first Foundation stone was laid on 28 January 1838 by the Governor of South Australia Governor Hindmarsh. A subsequent Foundation stone was laid on 7 May 1887 by George Mayo F.R.C.S England. Other Foundation can no Man lay than that is laid which is Jesus Christ.
This is the first church in South Australia. The original structure was built 1838, rebuilt and enlarged 1844-45 rebuilt again in 1888 (raised tower and extensions E J Woods arch; only the lower parts of the present nave and tower date from 1838. The clock was made in 1836 for South Australia by Vulliamy, clockmaker to King William IV. The church includes the William IV Window, supposed to be the earliest window in South Australia, having been brought out in 1836 with the prefabricated structure.
The Revd Charles Howard, first Colonial Chaplain, travelled to South Australia on HMS Buffalo and commenced duties as first Anglican minister.
Over the course of its 176-year existence, Holy Trinity Church has been rebuilt a number of times, with the last major construction/renovation episode occurring between 1888 and 1889.
The Church was rebuilt in 1845, and significantly extended in 1888-9, when it was transformed to its existing Victorian Gothic style. Pointed windows were installed, a pitched roof with fine timber trusses replaced the original flat roof, supported by masonry buttresses and higher walls, while the tower was extended to its present height.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1838 -||Rev C. B. Howard||M.A.|
|1895 - 1924||Rev Frederick Webb||1859||1925|
|1925 -||Rev R. M. Fulford|
|1935 - 1935||Rev Frederick William Wray||Locum||1864||1943|
|1993 -||Rev V. Harrington|
The Grenfell Memorial Organ, has been built in the upper section of the north transept. It is a fine instrument of twenty-three stops and 1,299 pipes in memory of Pascoe St Leger Grenfell, who gave the land on which the church is built. The instrument was dedicated on 2 February 1958, marking the 118th anniversary of the church. The Centenary Window, installed in 1937, commemorates the first 100 years of Holy Trinity Church in three panels of stained glass.