Adelaide, SA - St John the Evangelist Anglican (30052)
Year Built: 1839
History and Architecture:
The land on which the church is built was donated by Osmond Gillies to the Church of England. The Foundation stone was laid on 19 October 1839 by Lieutenant Colonel George Gawler, Governor of the Province. The church was opened on Sunday, 24th October, 1841 by the Rev C.B. Howard assisted by the Rev Jas. Farrell.
In 1886 the original church was condemned by the City Surveyor.
Plans for a new church were prepared by the architect R G Holwell. William Rogers who was a notable builder in Adelaide built the Church. The walls were constructed of sandstone rubble and are unusually tuck-pointed. The tower which still dominates the residential area integrates well with the rest of the church and its angled buttresses are noteworthy. The Bishop of Adelaide laid the Foundation Stone on May 14 1887 and on October 6th of the same year consecrated the building.
|1841 - 1861||Rev Jas. Farrell|
|1861 - 1884||Rev D.J.H. Ibbetson|
|1884 -||Rev F. Slaney-Poole|
|1895 -||Rev W.S. Hopcraft|
|1918 -||Rev H.P. Finniss|
|1945 -||Rev E.J Cooper|
In 1848 a new organ costing 300 was installed. A new organ was built in 1902 by James Dodd at a cost of 800. It was substantially rebuilt in 1996 by George Stephens.