Adelaide, SA - St Luke's Anglican (30051)
Year Built: 1855
Last Updated: 11/10/2021
History and Architecture:
The Church is one of the most significant in Adelaide. The first part of it was built in 1855. It remains one of the earliest Anglican Churches in Adelaide.
Divine Service appears to have been first conducted in a Schoolroom in Hobson's Place, between Sturt and Wright Streets. In December, 181-)3, a meeting was held in Hole Trinity Schoolroom, presided over by Ir. Justice Cooper, when it was reported that a sum of 120 had been subscribed for the purpose of erecting a Church in the south-west portion of the City. *
A Grain store in Wright Street was made available until such time as the new Church was completed. It was suggested that the site of the Church should be nearer to the centre of the Cite, in either Wright or Gouger Streets, but eventually' it was decided to build on the Whitmore Square site, this land was given by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign parts.*
In April, 1854, a meeting of the subscribers was held. At this meeting a letter was read from the Bishop, stating that owing to the price an iron Church would cost 1 - 2,000 (exclusive of expenses), he thought it inexpedient to purchase such a Church and advised against doing so. Special meetings were then held and it was decided to proceed with a stone one, and Mr E. Wright was appointed Architect.*
The Iron Church was condemned.
The Foundation stone was laid on September 11th, 1855 by the Governor. Amongst those present was the Bishop and Rev. J. Pollitt. The Church was consecrated on February 14th of 1856.
The Church was destroyed by fire in 1992 and re built.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1854 -||Rev James Pollitt|
|1881 - 1884||Rev Frank Coghlan|
|1884 - 1896||Rev George Henry Farr||1819||1904|
|1896 -||Rev W.G. Marsh|
|1912 -||Rev D.J. Knox|
|1922 -||Rev Charles William Rogers||1877||1966|
|1932 - 1939||Rev John Bruce Montgomerie||1893||1961|
|1939 -||Rev Charles Williams Gumbley M.A.||1891||1971|
|1945 -||Rev Edwin Douglas Shaxted||1906||1987|
|1953 -||Rev G.C. Bennett|
|1964 -||Rev David John Binns|
|1977 - 1980||Rev R.A.W. Haire|
|1980 -||Rev David John Binns|
|2010 -||Rev Martin Woodforde|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
St Luke's Church Centenary Booklet 1855 to 1955