Aldinga, SA - St Anne's Anglican
Year Built: 1866
Architect: Wright & Woods
Traditional Owners: Kaurna people
Last Updated: 15/07/2022
History and Architecture:
In 1866 residents of Aldinga called a meeting to consider the advisability of erecting a Church. An acre of land was presented by the South Australian Company and the foundation stone was laid by Mrs Short. Total cost was £785. Building opened for service by Dean Farrell and was consecrated.
The Church is a simple stone chapel derived from English parish churches of Gothic style, and the later tower continues this idiom, with pointed arched windows and a crenellated parapet. The Church was designed by notable Adelaide architects Wright & Woods. The tower and spire were designed by architects English & Soward and built during 1911.*
In 1948 the Rector closed the church due to lack of numbers but in 1954 it was reopened and restored. The walls and interior were all re painted.
The hall was commenced in 1988 when the ladies guild said they needed a place to boil a kettle. Stones were collected through rock picking picnics. The foundation stone was laid on 30 April 2000.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1860 - 1862||Rev Cuthbert Thomas Neville||1830||1887|
|1869 - 1892||Rev Edmund King Miller||1820||1911|
|1892 - 1896||Rev Francis Herbert Stokes||1854||1929|
|1896 - 1901||Rev G. Griffiths|
|1902 - 1921||Rev Thomas Wood||1855||1937|
|1921 - 1925||Rev H. C. Thrush||1893||1975|
|1943 - 1954||Rev Henry James Hughes||1904||2000|
|2020 -||Rev Simon Waters|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
2. Cable Clergy Index.