Appin, NSW - St Mark's Anglican
Year Built: 1843
Traditional Owners: Dharawa & Gundungurra people
Last Updated: 18/11/2023
History and Architecture:
The site was established in 1839 and the Church commenced in 1841. The Australian (9 January 1841) noted: '...a very neat Episcopalian Church of stone, also a Roman Catholic chapel, are in the course of completion at Appin'. St Mark's was opened 25 April 1843 and dedicated by the Bishop W G Broughton.
This is a small dressed sandstone Church with a three bay rectangular nave (51ft x 27ft) under a gable roof of corrugated iron (originally slate). The west end entrance is through a square bell tower capped with a pyramidal galvanised iron roof. Nave windows are rectangular with projecting sills and label mouldings and timber mullions. There is a decorated east window. There are louvred lancet arch openings on three sides of the tower. The interior has a flat timber ceiling, a stone flagged floor and contains some simple cedar fittings.
The Church was reroofed in 1913. Since 1907 it has been administered as part of Campbelltown parish.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1838 - 1862||Rev Hart Davis Draper Sparling||1812||1884|
|1876 - 1877||Rev Charles Archdall||1808||1879|
|1879 - 1881||Rev Reginald Noake||Locum with Wilton||1852||1923|
|1910 - 1911||Rev George Edward Gibbs||1841||1919|
|1912 - 1919||Rev John Ralph Hunter||Locum||1869||1919|
|1919 - 1927||Rev Isacc Duncan Armitage||Locum with Campbelltown|
|1927 - 1951||Rev John Frederick Rofe||1882||1963|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Cable Clerical Index with permisson.