Ararat, VIC - Church of Immaculate Conception Catholic (20204)
Year Built: 1927
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Last Updated: 06/01/2021
History and Architecture:
There are three St Mary's in Ararat. The first was dedicated by Fr Goold in 1868. The second was dedicated by Bishop Moore in 1889 while the third was dedicated in 1928 by Bishop Foley.
The Immaculate Conception Parish Ararat was established in 1858 by Bishop James Alipius Goold OSA of Melbourne.
In 1871 at the request of Fr Hogan a Mr Michael Ryan Architect of Ararat was engaged to draw up plans for a church in an Italian Villa Style. The Presbyterian was to have a frontage of 42 feet to Barkley Street. The estimated cost was 1,200.00. By 1927 the old church was demolished and the foundation stone of the new church was laid on 27 March 1927 by Bishop Foley.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1858 - 1871||Fr Thomas Barrett|
|1871 - 1880||Fr J. Hogan|
|1880 - 1904||Fr R. Meade|
|1904 - 1930||Dean P. O'Hare|
|1930 - 1948||Monsignor E.O. Goidanich|
|1948 - 1960||Monsignor J. Timmons|
|1960 - 1963||Monsignor J. Brophy|
|1964 - 1968||Monsignor L. Fiscalini|
|1969 - 1987||Monsignor T. O'Brien|
|1987 -||Fr B. Davey|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.