Ararat, VIC - Holy Trinity Anglican (20208)
Year Built: 1867
Last Updated: 10/05/2021
History and Architecture:
In October 1857, there were meetings in Ararat to work towards having a resident clergyman and school building (which could also be used for public worship.) By mid October 1857 saw the arrival of Rev'd Philip Homan as the resident clergyman to Ararat and district.
In September 1863 the Rev'd Homan wrote to the Diocesan Architect to furnish plans for a Church capable of seating 300 people and costing about 2500 with chancel and tower or 1500 without chancel and tower.
The foundation stone was laid in November 1863 by Archdeacon Braim of Portland but it was not until 21st October 1866 that the Church was opened and dedicated by the Venerable Theodore Stretch, Archdeacon of Geelong. The Church was finally consecrated on the 16th April 1882 by the Right Rev'd James Moorhouse, Bishop of Melbourne acting for the Bishop of Ballarat (Samuel Thornton) who was absent.
The foundation stone for a new Sunday School was laid. The building cost 570. The building was opened by the Ven Archdeacon Arthur Green on April 29th 1891.
In January 1940 Holy Trinity Church was gutted by fire and within half a hour the roof collapsed and the building was ruined.
After years of planning the plans for the Narthex were completed in 1984. The narthex was built and blessed by Bishop John Hazlewood on 14th July 1985.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1857 -||Rev Philip Homan||(later Canon)|
|1885 - 1889||Rev G. MacMurray||(later Canon)|
|1889 - 1899||Rev Canon Samuel McGeorge|
|1896 -||Mr Charles Joshua Allen||Reader||1864||1943|
|1899 - 1908||Rev Canon Edward H Davies|
|1908 - 1913||Rev Sidney A Beveridge|
|1913 -||Rev Harry E Noltenius|
|1925 -||Rev George E Menlove|
|1932 - 1946||Rev Canon Bertram H Dewhurst|
|1946 - 1951||Rev Lindsay M Howell|
|1951 -||Rev Canon Ernst S Yeo|
|1959 -||Rev T.H. (Jim) Cranswick|
|1959 - 1961||Rev Neville Johhn Thulborn||Asst C||1935|
|1967 - 1971||Rev K. Malcolm Lindsay|
|1971 - 1974||Rev Roger F Swetenham|
|1974 - 1978||Rev John C Thompson|
|1978 - 1985||Rev Ian N Herring|
|1978 - 1979||Rev C.A. Cheong||Asst||1950||-|
|1985 - 1989||Rev Canon Percival L.N. Rowlands|
|1985 -||Rev A.D. Neaum||Asst|
|1987 - 1988||Rev H.L.N. Jackson||Asst|
|1987 - 1988||Rev S. Morrissy||Asst|
|1989 - 1995||Rev Canon Andrew D.I. Neaum|
|1996 -||Rev Canon George A Parker|
|2002 - 2005||Rev Terence F Gross|
|2005 -||Rev Canon John R Mathes|
In 1951 there was a pipe organ with choir stalls. It was eventually sold and an electric organ took its place. In April 1961 a new electric organ (Wurlitzer organ and amplifier) was installed. This organ broke down in November 1979. In 1993 it was decided to buy a pipe organ from Goodwood Uniting Church, Adelaide for $10,000. The pipe organ was built by George Fincham and Sons in 1960 and was installed the following year.
1. Cable Clerical Index