Armidale, NSW - St Mary and Joseph Catholic (10602)

Year Built: 1911

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: Mary and Joseph

Address: 136 Dangar Street, Armidale, New South Wales, 2350

Traditional Owners: Gumbaynggirr people

Last Updated: 22/09/2022

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

Mr Joseph Daly donated £300 to purchase suitable land for the first Cathedral closer to the centre of town and a decision was made to purchase land from Thomas Bryan Fitzgerald on the north-western corner of Dangar and Barney Streets, Armidale. The cathedral, of brick construction and a shingled roof, was duly opened on the Feast of the Purification, Friday 2 February 1872

The current Cathedral building is of Pyrmont stone and Armidale polychrome brick and was designed by Sheerin & Hennessy Sydney and was built by G.F. Nott between 1911 and 1912.

A Foundation stone reads, " This memorial stone was solemnly blessed and laid by his Eminence Cardinal Moran Archbishop of Sydney 5th February 1911 in the eighth year of the Episcopize of the Right Rev Dr P. J. O'Connor Bishop of Armidale".

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1853 - 1863 Father Timothy McCarthy
1869 - Bishop Timothy O'Mahoney
- Father Edmund Walsh
- Father John Thomas Dunne
- Dean John T. Lynch

Organ:

Built by George Fincham of Melbourne in 1900. It was rebuilt and moved to the Church in 1912 by Griffin & Leggo of Sydney. A full description can be seen here.

Source:

1. The Cathedral website.