Arncliffe, NSW - St David's Anglican

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: David

Address: 54 Forest Road, Arncliffe, New South Wales, 2205

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Gweagal, Bidjigal & Cadigal people

Last Updated: 14/03/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

The original St David's Anglican Church was in Hirst St, on part of the land granted in 1833 to convict overseer Reuben Hannam by Governor Bourke, as a reward for developing the sandstock brick much used in early colonial building. A church was built in 1879, and served for the next thirty years. In March 1906, a larger more prominent location in Forest Road was obtained.

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid by His Grace the Archbishop of Sydney John Charles Wright DD on the 22nd Jan 1910 J Howell Price R.D. Rector". A further foundation stone reads, " This Memorial was unveiled by the Most RevD John Charles Wright DD Archbishop of Sydney Aug 15th 1914 to mark the second effort in building this Church after it was partially destroyed by a Gale July 18th 1910. HT Holliday Rector rural Dean".

The Church is now known as Bayside Anglican.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1889 - 1904 Rev Charles James Byng With Bexley 1833 1904
1907 - 1908 Rev James Valentine Patton Curate with Bexley 1882 1937
1908 - 1910 Rev Andrew Colvin Curate with Bexley 1872 1945
1910 - 1921 Rev Henry Thomas Holliday With Bexley 1854 1924
1911 - 1912 Rev Richard Nelson Howard Curate with Bexley 1887 1919
1911 - 1912 Rev Frederic Barker Mullens Curate with Bexley 1882 1979
1915 - 1917 Rev George Philip Birk Curate with Bexley 1884 1956
1916 - 1918 Rev Robert Harley Jones Catechist 16 1884 1959
1925 - 1926 Rev Francis William Bruce Naughton Curate 1894 1948
1947 - 1965 Rev Charles Maurice Gillespe 1913 1974


The present organ was built in 1951 by S.T. Noad & Son. It has 2m., 7, 7 c., el. pn. Gt: 8.8.4. Sw: 8.8.4. Ped: 16. It was rebuilt by John Parker (date unknown). It has Gt: 8.8.4. Sw: Ped: 2m., 11, 7 c., el. pn.
For a full description and photos click here.


1. Organ Music Society of Sydney with permission.
2. Sydney Blogspot.