Ashfield, NSW - Uniting

Year Built: 1865

Denomination: Uniting

Address: 180 Liverpool Road, Ashfield, New South Wales, 2131

Previous Denomination: Methodist

Architect: T Rowe

Traditional Owners: Wangal

Last Updated: 03/02/2024

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (2 photos)

History and Architecture:

Formerly a Methodist Church it was established in 1840 and constructed in 1865. The site one which the Church now stands was part of the 1841 subidivion of the Canterbury Estate. Robert Campbell donated the land to the Wesleyan Church in 1842, and a small church was first erected on the site now occupied by the hall. The foundation stone of the present church was laid on 17/10/1864 and the building opened on 21/5/1865. In 1880 transepts were added. In 1889 a gallery was added. In 1912 the chancel and vestries were added.

The Church is now the home of the Rev. Bill Crews Foundation which provides direct assistance to address the cause and effect of homelessness, poverty and disadvantage.


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1924 - Rev Linden Webb M
1927 - 1932 Rev Silas Bembrick M
1935 - 1938 Rev Richard Piper M
1938 - 1943 Rev Rupert J. Williams M
1943 - 1948 Rev Herbert Green M
1958 - Rev William J. Harper M
1951 - 1954 Rev Robert Grayson M
1960 - Rev Raymond H. Doust Sup


The church originally contained an historically significant 1912 organ by Fred. Taylor, of Melbourne. It had 2 manuals, 12 speaking stops, 4 couplers, pneumatic action. It was removed from the church in 2008 and now resideds in the Lovat Chapel (former St Augustine's Catholic Church) Meehan Street, Yass