Bacchus Marsh, VIC - St Bernard's Catholic
Year Built: 1872
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Address: 61 Lerderderg Street, Bacchus Marsh, Victoria, 3340
Architect: Henry Richard Caselli
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 04/06/2023
History and Architecture:
The 1841 Census for this area recorded that there were only 14 Catholics out of a population of 112, an area that extended from the Upper Werribee to Melton.
By 1851 a register entry listed the names of five infants who, were baptised:- James, the son of James and Fanny Toomey; Patrick, son of John and Margaret Leahy; Elizabeth, daughter of Michael and Catherine Callanan; Ann, daughter of Denis and Bzidget Stack, and John, son of John and Mary McPherson.
Bishop Goold visited Bacchus Marsh in July, 1853 and his diary gives a lengthy description of his stay from Wednesday, 20 July to Monday July 25. After this visit Fr. Moore was transferred to Bacchus Marsh but he stayed only a few months. The statistical book for 1863 shows him in charge of Bacchus Marsh, with a chapel which could hold 200 but the average attendance was listed as 100.
Fr O'Connell who resided in Gisborne was given the task of erecting a new, church in Bacchus Marsh - the same church that still serves the Catholic community today. Tenders were called on August 24th, 1871 and the Foundation Stone was laid by Bishop Goold on January 14, 1872. This stone was laid at the south-west corner of the building but it is not known exactly where it is today.
The land that the church was being built on had been sold by James E'. Crook to Bishop Goold and others on January 17th, 1866 for 40.
The building was to be of brick and measurement's were to be 100' of which 26' form the sanctuary which is 20' wide while the body of the church Is 30' wide. There are two sacristies 14' 6" by 12' 8'' and 20's 12'.
The builders were Messrs. Hianz and Rose of Ballarat. The final cost of the Church was 3,600.00. It was built of brick with cement, facings and had a tower and the style of architecture Is Gothic, although not pure Gothic. A Mr. H. R. Caselli was the architect.
The opening of the church took place on Sunday, 28 June and was performed by the Very Reverend Dr. Fitzpatrick, V.G. Mozart's No. 12 Mass was sung by the St. Bridget's Choir, Gisborne under the leadership of Mr. P. Hart. The Rev. W. Kelly, S.J., was the preacher on the occasion.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1886 - 1890||Father Daniel Horan||1910|
|1890 - 1895||Father P. O'Reilly|
|1895 -||Father S. McDonald|
|1896 -||Father W. Harnott|
|1897 -||Father I. McArthur|
|1897 - 1899||Father M. Heagney|
|1899 - 1902||Father J. King|
|1902 -||Father Aeneas Francis Hennessy||1932|
|1902 - 1907||Father T. O'Sullivan|
|1907 -||Father T. Bride|
|1911 - 1912||Father M. Haves|
|1912 - 1914||Father M. Flannery||1949|
|1914 - 1915||Father J. Gibbons|
|1915 - 1917||Father W. Galdsptnk|
|1917 -||Father C. Egan|
|1917 - 1919||Father A. Martin|
|1919 - 1924||Father C. McKenna|
|1924 - 1925||Father A. Hughes|
|1925 - 1926||Father Michael Finan||1931|
|1926 - 1929||Father John Bailey||1963|
|1920 - 1930||Father J. O'Carroll|
|1930 - 1931||Father J. Duggan|
|1931 - 1935||Father L Curran|
|1935 - 1936||Father J. Perkins||1971|
|1936 - 1939||Father William Rovira||1986|
|1939 -||Father T. Flynn|
|1939 - 1942||Father T. Keogh||1979|
|1941 - 1942||Father W. Ryan|
|1942 - 1946||Father J. Murphy|
|1946 - 1947||Father G. Hefty|
|1947 - 1949||Father G. Dunlop|
|1949 - 1952||Father J. O'Neil|
|1952 - 1966||Father J. McCarthy|
|1966 -||Father H. Gilman||Asst|
|1956 - 1957||Father G. Loughnan|
|1957 - 1958||Father A. McDonnell||Asst|
|1958 - 1960||Father F. Richards||Asst|
|1960 - 1962||Father D. Jenkins||Asst|
|1962 -||Father Neyens||Asst|
|1962 -||Father V. Crennan||Asst||2013|
|1962 -||Father W. Durkin|
|1966 -||Father P. Rankin|
|1966 -||Father M. Nolan|
|1966 - 1968||Father J. Turner||Asst|
|1968 - 1969||Father W. Donegan||Asst|
|1969 - 1971||Father F. McLaughlin||Asst|
|1971 -||Father F. Milburn||Asst|
|1971 - 1972||Father C. Groot||Asst|
|1972 - 1973||Father K. Bray|
|1973 -||Father N. McKie||Asst|
|1973 -||Father J. Scarlett|
|2020 -||Father Fabian Smith|
|2020 -||Father Lucas Kyaw Myint||Asst|
|2020 -||Father Marcus Goulding||Asst|
|2023 -||Father Alex Balingit Clemente|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
Information courtesy of St Bernard's Catholic Church Bacchus Marsh
1. 2003 MDHC