Bairnsdale, VIC - St John the Baptist Anglican (20873)
Saint: John the Baptist
Last Updated: 06/08/2022
History and Architecture:
In May 1866 tenders were called for the erection of a church and the contract was won by Barry and Sons of Sale. The foundation stone was laid by John Davison Smith of "Lindenow" on 9 October 1866. The Church was established in 1867.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1867 - 1873||Rev Amos Brazier||1831||1910|
|1873 - 1876||Rev H S Asche|
|1877 - 1879||Rev R. G. Burke|
|1879 - 1881||Rev E W.F. Hartmann|
|1882 - 1886||Rev William George Hindley||1853||1936|
|1886 - 1900||Rev Edward Gritton Veal||1853||1946|
|1900 - 1908||Archdeacon W Hancock|
|1908 - 1909||Rev H B Begbie|
|1909 - 1924||Archdeacon Arthur Edwin Fleming Young||1873||1944|
|1924 - 1925||Rev Leonard Leslie Wenzel||1885||1956|
|1925 - 1936||Rev James Eakins Stannage||1887||1968|
|1936 - 1945||Rev J. H. Brown|
|1946 - 1950||Rev K Brodie|
|1950 - 1961||Canon G F.D. Smith|
|1962 - 1969||Rev K L McConchie|
|1969 - 1976||Archdeacon Norman Womersley McDonald||1998|
|1976 -||Canon A Weston|
|1985 - 1994||Rev Edward George Gibson||1935|
A new Organ was installed in 1925 which was built by R. Spurdon Rutt of London and cost over £1,000. The original organ was sold to the soldier settlement community of Poowong South.
1. Light and Life, A History of the Anglican Church in Gippsland
2. History of St John's Anglican Church Bairnsdale. SLTF 283. 9456 Ad 1 H