Balaclava North, VIC - St Margaret's Presbyterian (20537)
Year Built: 1953
Last Updated: 09/01/2021
History and Architecture:
In 1912, in order to ascertain to what extent the people of the district were desirous of having a Church in their midst, a house to house canvass was made by Rev. C. Stuart Ross, with the result that he was able to make a most encouraging and satisfactory report.*
The present site was purchased in 1912 for the sum of £1,208 with the assistance of Mr John Maclellen who was to later offer funds for the construction of the first church. In December 1914 St Georges Board of Management reported that the entire amount of the purchase money had been paid and the site was free of debt.
At this stage, Mr. John Maclellan, a member of the Board of Management of St. George's, East St. Kilda, took an active interest in the matter, and through his liberal assistance arrangements were made for the purchase of the present site at the corner of Hotham Street and Denman Avenue, measuring 137 feet by 207 feet, at a cost of 1208.*
The Foundation stone was laid on 22 August 1953 by the Reverend Principal H McLean D.D. The Architect was K Murray Forster and the builder was R.E. Gyngell.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1917 - 1924||Rev G. Carson|
|1924 - 1930||Rev E. Swann|
|1930 - 1935||Rev F. Chisholm|
|1936 - 1947||Rev A. Martin|
|1947 - 1958||Rev J. Symington|
|1959 -||Rev A.T. Stevens|
|2011 -||Rev Bob Thomas|
|2020 -||Rev Luke Isham|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
St Margaret's Presbyterian Church 1916 - 1966 Jubilee. LTP 285.294511 B18S