Balmain, NSW - Presbyterian
Year Built: 1868
Last Updated: 05/01/2021
History and Architecture:
The first church was erected in 1842 at a cost of £25.00 and was the first church to be built in Balmain.
An early stone Victorian Free Gothic style Church constructed in 1867-1868. The Church significantly retains its original form, scale and details particularly the stone façades and roof and associated details and prominent tower and stone spire. It significantly continues to be used by the local Presbyterian community.
The Builder was James Burt.
Rock faced and dressed stone Church with pedimented gabled roof clad in slates, exposed rafter end and vented gablets along the main, central gable. The front façade is symmetrical about a central tower with stone spire framed by gabled bays with pinnacle topped stone buttresses and pointed arched timber framed windows and doors with rustic stone label moulds over.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1857 - 1869||Rev Thomas A. Gordon|
|1869 - 1872||Rev Colin McCullock|
|1872 - 1899||Rev Dr James Cosh|
|1900 - 1911||Rev J. F. Blair|
|1912 - 1919||Rev G. Cranston|
|1915 - 1917||Rev J. W. McCredie||Supply Minister|
|1920 - 1924||Rev S. L. McKenzie|
|1925 - 1928||Rev Grant Forsyth|
|1929 - 1935||Rev D. E. Hamilton|
|1936 - 1943||Rev S. M. Mitchell|
|1944 - 1946||Rev W. A. Walker||Student. Ordained 1946|
|1947 - 1951||Rev C. H. Ball|
|1952 - 1953||Rev J. Auld||Supply Minister|
|1961 - 1964||Rev W. B. Bartlett|
|1964 -||Rev L. A. Martin|
|2011 -||Rev Luke Tattersall|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Cambell Street Presbyterian Church Centenary 1868 - 1968
2. NSW Heritage website