Balmain, NSW, St Andrews Congregational
Year Built: 1854
Address: 217 - 233 Darling Street, Balmain, New South Wales, 2041
Architect: Goold and Field
Traditional Owners: Wangal people
Last Updated: 22/03/2023
History and Architecture:
The foundation stone was laid on 3 August 1854. The architects were Messrs Goold and Field.
The Church building is an example of early stone Victorian Free Gothic style constructed in 1854-55. The Church and associated Halls retain their original form, scale and details particularly the stone façade.
The dimensions were quoted as 80ft in length and 32ft in breadth and the interior included open pews of massive cedar, pulpit and communion table.
These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.
|1853 - 1857||Rev T. A. Gordon|
|1858 - 1859||Rev T. Arnold|
|1963 - 1863||Rev Alex Rae|
|1864 - 1872||Rev Dr J. G. Fraser|
|1873 - 1875||Rev Samuel U. Rotherwell|
|1875 - 1876||Rev D. Meadowcroft|
|1877 - 1886||Rev Alfred G. Fry|
|1887 - 1890||Rev A. J. Griffith M.A.|
|1890 - 1896||Rev Walker Mathison|
|1896 - 1904||Rev Henry Gainford|
|1905 - 1918||Rev Martin L. Johnson B.A.|
|1918 - 1923||Rev Loius W. Farr|
|1924 - 1927||Rev W. A. Marsh|
|1927 - 1933||Rev Thomas B. Roseby|
|1933 - 1937||Rev Geoffrey Hume|
|1937 - 1945||Rev H. H. Mills|
|1946 - 1947||Rev W. T. Hooker|
|1948 - 1952||Rev H. H. Mills|
|1952 - 1955||Rev Hilda M. Abba|
|1956 - 1958||Rev Bruce W. Upham|
|1958 - 1959||Rev G. A. Bailey|
|1961 -||Rev F. Lambert Carter|
The Organ was built in 1867 by J.W. Walker of London as job number 828 and was originally installed in St John’s Anglican Church, Darlinghurst. In 1898 the instrument was moved from the rear gallery to its present position.
A full description and photos can be seen here.
1. St Andrew's Congregational Church, Balmain, a short history by E Bladen Letts.
2. Organ Music Society of Sydney.