Balmain, NSW - St Mary's Anglican (10272)
Year Built: 1848
Last Updated: 20/11/2021
History and Architecture:
The first settlements in Balmain took place around 1840 in the viciinity of Peacocks Point.
The first Anglican services at Balmain were conducted by the Rev Frederick Wilkinson, MA, in 1841, in a small slab and bark building at Waterview Bay, in the vicinity of Mort's Dock.
It was soon realised that Waterview Bay was too remote from Sydney's residential areas and services were transferred temporarily to Adolphus Street. A subscription list was opened to build a church on a site donated by George Cooper. Meanwhile, in 1843, the Rev Wilkinson was appointed to the united parishes of Ashfield and Balmain.
The foundation stone for the church was laid on 1 January 1845, by Bishop Broughton, on land donated by Mitchell Metcalf. Building proceeded to the completion of the schoolroom which was also used for Sunday services, but once again it was decided that the location was unsuitable and a new site in Darling Street, on which St Mary's now stands, was acquired.
The new building was completed in 1849 and substantial additions were made in 1859.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1846 - 1848||Rev F. Wilkinson|
|1849 - 1853||Rev F. Cameron|
|1855 - 1871||Rev W. Stack|
|1871 - 1876||Rev H.A. Langley|
|1876 - 1882||Rev T.B. Tress|
|1882 - 1908||Rev M. Archdall|
|1908 - 1910||Rev H.T. Holliday|
|1910 - 1915||Rev J.H. Price|
|1915 - 1921||Rev S. Best|
|1921 - 1925||Rev H. Dempster|
|1925 - 1926||Rev F. Kellett|
|1926 - 1935||Rev J.T. Phair|
|1935 - 1938||Rev C.M. Kemmis|
|1938 - 1942||Rev W.M. Corden|
|1942 - 1946||Rev F. Wilde|
|1946 -||Rev A.J. Smith|
|1960 - 1963||Rev Alan F. Donohoo|
|1962 - 1964||Rev Trevor Bryce Griffiths||Ass|
|2015 -||Rev Mark Leach|
The first organ was installed in 1850.
1. Historic Churches of New South Wales.