Balwyn, VIC - All Hollows Catholic
Year Built: 1930
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Traditional Owners: Wurundjeri people
Last Updated: 23/10/2021
History and Architecture:
The church was presumably named after the Irish theological college, All Hallows College in Dublin, where the Catholic Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr Daniel Mannix, had studied. The building and site, together with furnishings and ground improvements, cost £3964 in total (Advocate 16 January 1930:22). The Archbishop of Melbourne, Dr Daniel Mannix, laid the foundation stone and formally blessed the church-school, together with Fr D Gleeson, the first parish priest, at its opening in 1930. The Architect and builder was Robert Harper.
A foundation stone reads, " All Hallows This stone was laid by the Most Rev A.F. Fox D.D. on 26th November 1961. Rev Father Jams J Shorten Parish Priest".
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1930 -||Father D. Gleeson|
|1961 -||Father James J. Shorten||1993|
|2020 -||Father Brenden Reed|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.