Bannockburn, VIC - St John the Evanglist Catholic (20373)

Year Built: 1901

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Saint: John

Address: Corner High Street & Milton Road, Bannockburn, Victoria, 3331

Last Updated: 20/08/2021

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger

History and Architecture:

The site for St John's was selected in July 1900 by Archpriest McKenna from St Mary's, Geelong and had formerly been owned by R. Phillip. A tender from J.C. Taylor & Sons was accepted in October 1900 and the church was constructed at a cost of 437 pounds.

The church opened early in April 1901 with the first mass conducted by the Rev. Father Lowe of the Vincention Order. The church was described at as lofty, well ventilated structure" which could seat over 200 people. The altar came from St Peter and Paul's Church in Ashby, Geelong.

Clergy:

This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1863 - Rev Furzman
1866 - 1869 Rev J. Teague
1869 - Rev R. Warren
1870 - R. Alfred
1871 - 1874 J. Tonkin
1877 - 1879 T.E. Keen
1879 - 1881 S.P. Webber
1890 - 1892 Rev H. Fowler
1896 - 1900 Rev T.J. Thomas

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Extracts:

1. Churches of Geelong and District, Vol 2.