Barcaldine, QLD - Sacred Heart Catholic

Year Built: 1954

Denomination: Roman Catholic

Address: 89 Elm Street, Barcaldine, Queensland, 4725

Architect: Unknown

Traditional Owners: Iningai people

Last Updated: 23/01/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger


History and Architecture:

The first Sacred Heart Church was one of the buildings that was moved from one stop on the railway line to the next as it advanced westwards. It was re-erected after it arrived from Jericho with the railway in 1886 on the corner of Willow and Yew streets.

In 1889 a second church was built nearby and that was replaced by the current church in 1954.

Work on the current Catholic church began in October 1953, after the first set of plans had been destroyed (eaten by goats). The contractor, J. Feehley, completed it on time for the official opening by Rev. A. G. Tynan, Bishop of Rockhampton, on 20 June 1954.

A Foundation stone reads, " This stone was laid and blessed by The Most Reverend A. Tynan DD Bishop of Rockhampton 4th Day of October 1953. rev D.J. Lee P.P.".

Clergy:

These names are now in the Database and can be searched individually.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1892 - Father P. Lormel
1898 - Father Lorretucci
1953 - Father D. J. Lee
1967 - Father J. Anderson
2022 - Father Shaiju Lookose

Organ:

No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.

Source:

1. Wikipedia.
2. Between the Bougainvilleas. Isabel Hoch, 2008. Pages 43, 61, 101; 2004.
3. 2003 MDHC