Beechworth, VIC - St Andrew's Uniting (20129)
Year Built: 1857
Previous Denomination: Presbyterian
Traditional Owners: Min-jan-buttu people
Last Updated: 04/07/2022
History and Architecture:
St Andrew's Church was built by the Scottish and Ulster Presbyterians who settled in north-east Victoria in the mid-nineteenth century. The church is a five-bay Gothic Revival design of cement stucco, built in 1857.
The dimensions of the building were 65ft x 37ft and seated to hold 400 Odrsons. The buildling was erected at a cost of £2500. The site of the Church is the gift of the Government. The Rev. John Grant, officiating clergyman Thomas Turnbull, 'architect; Smith, Banks and Cranston, builders; Jothn Dorman, Thomas Dalziel, J. K. Brown, Alexander Rogers. Robert Craig.
It was designed by local architect Thomas Turnbull and built by Smith, Bank and Cranston. The building comprises an unusual square tower, pinnacles and spire; matching panel-backed buttresses; lancet windows with label mouldings; and intersecting arch window tracery. It includes an exposed brick Sunday school that was added to the rear of the church in 1883.
The tower has pairs of tiered buttresses in each corner which are surmounted by pinnacles.
This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.
|1857 - 1858||Rev John Grant||P|
|1859 - 1868||Rev J. K McMillan||P|
|1868 - 1872||Rev George Ah Liu||Catechist|
|1869 - 1873||Rev George Graham||P|
|1874 -||Rev Robert K Ewing||P|
|1877 - 1882||Rev John Ah Wai||Catechist|
|1878 - 1884||Rev J Gordon Mackie||P|
|1883 - 1885||Rev Paul Young||Catechist|
|1885 - 1892||Rev Henry Swan||P|
|1885 - 1892||Rev Peter How||Catechist|
|1892 - 1902||Rev James Quong Cheong||Catechist|
|1893 - 1901||Rev W. H. Cooper||P|
|1902 - 1906||Rev J. R Anderson||P|
|1902 - 1903||Rev James Chue||Catechist|
|1903 - 1908||Rev Paul Chin||Catechist|
|1907 - 1923||Rev Robert B McLeod||P|
|1908 - 1936||Rev George Young||Catechist|
|1924 - 1927||Rev Arthur Wall||P|
|1928 - 1932||Rev Thomas Darby||P|
|1932 - 1935||Rev H Lyons||P|
|1935 - 1937||Rev G McGregor||P|
|1937 - 1939||Rev C W.T. Headen||P||1887||1945|
|1940 - 1944||Rev F. H. Patterson||P|
|1945 - 1948||Rev W. H Elliott||P|
|1949 - 1950||Rev Lewis Clayton||P||1950|
|1951 - 1956||Rev John Colvin||P|
|1956 -||Rev Rhyce W Price||P|
|2010 -||Ms Caroline Field||U|
No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.
1. Beechworth Presbyterian Church One Hundred Years On. H285.2 MAR by J Stanley Martin
2. Ryerson Index.