Beecroft, NSW - St John's Anglican

Year Built: 1907

Denomination: Anglican

Saint: John

Architect: William Nixon

Traditional Owners: Wallumedegal people

Last Updated: 17/10/2023

See Street View

Send your photos

Click on the image to view larger (3 photos)

History and Architecture:

Initially a site on the southern corner of Beecroft Road and Hannah Street was purchased, architectural plans of William Coward were accepted and building by Hart & Sons of Parramatta of a small timber church was completed.

Later due to the growth of the Church it was decided to purchase a new site, and the larger present site was purchased in 1905-6. In February 1906 the church building was relocated onto this new block of land after being towed by a steam traction engine [4]. William Nixon designed a new Gothic church of which the first part was commenced in 1907. The church was then opened and dedicated on 18 January 1908 by the Primate of the Australian Church and Archbishop of Sydney, Saumerez Smith.

A metal plaque reads, " This stone was laid by Sir Harry H. Rawson GCB State Governor 6th July 1907".


This list may not contain every serving cleric, past or present, for this church.
Further submissions welcomed.

Years Name Annotation D.o.B D.o.D
1885 - 1903 Rev George McIntosh 1833 1917
1903 - 1926 Rev Joseph Young 1852 1945
1919 - 1921 Rev Thomas Terry Curate Locum 1886 1936
1926 - 1928 Rev Willie Vaux Gurnett Curate Locum 1884 1964
1926 - 1942 Rev J. Bootle
1942 - 1982 Rev John Roderic Lindsay Johnstone 1914 2003
1982 - 2000 Rev A. M. Blanch
2000 - 2019 Rev G. N. Collison
2019 - Rev J. Smith


No information currently available. Submissions welcomed.


1. Cable Clerical Index with permission.
2. Beecroft and Cheltenham History Group. Click here for full description.